Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > monitor won't wake up

monitor won't wake up
esther316
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2001, 09:34 AM

I recently installed OS 9.1 on my G4/500mHz. I have the Apple monitor to match. When I put my computer to sleep, currently running as 1152x870, 75Hz, and turn the monitor off, the computer will wake back up but the monitor won't. The orange light turns on like it is starting but it stays like that and never switches to green.

Is this because of my screen resolution? Or OS 9.1? How can I fix it?

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2001, 09:39 AM

Hi Esther,
The monitor should wake up when the Mac wakes up, but sometimes there are synch issues where the monitor can't get the proper signal from your computer. After turning your monitor back on, try putting the computer to sleep and then waking it up again to see if the video signal synchs with the monitor. Also, iff the monitor is energy star compliant, you do not need to physically turn it off, it will go into low power mode.
good luck,
dave

iSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2001, 09:57 AM

if you have an Adaptec SCSI card installed, it won't wake from sleep (see their website for full details), this I experience occasionally.

VRL
Senior User
Apr 3, 2001, 10:11 AM

Last year, I was having a similar problem (w/OS 9). I picked up Sleeper (shareware app), installed it, and haven't had a problem since.
(BTW, I have an Adaptec card installed.)
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." (Kierkegaard)
"What concerns me is not the way things are, but the way people think things are." (Epictetus)

Forum Links
Forum Rules