Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > How fast is iTunes...comparison?

How fast is iTunes...comparison?
rlmorel
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2001, 03:55 PM

Hi,
I am using a MPG4500, running iTunes. When I tried to import a CD, it took six minutes to convert 1 hour of music to MP3. I thought this was really cool, so I decided to import my entire CD collection (about 400 disks...)
My question is...how fast is iTunes compared to a PC program that converts to MP3's? Does iTunes see the dual processor, and is it altivec enabled? When I tried to convert the same album on my G3400 Lombard Powerbook, it took 21 minutes vs. 6 minutes on the MPG4!
Has anyone used another music program that compares?
Bob Morel

------------------

"An argument isn't just saying 'No it isn't'!" "Yes it is!" "NO IT ISN'T!"

The Dude
Banned
Jan 21, 2001, 05:03 PM

Interesting. I don't recall reading that it was MP or AltiVec accelerated, but maybe it is...

Oh well, enjoy! I think you may of found something cool. Or, you and me are the last saps to realize this...

muttfree
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2001, 05:43 PM

Well, I'm running iTumes on my B&W G3/450/9.1 and copied 37.6 minutes of music (9 songs, 57.6mb) to my library in just over 10 minutes, including the time necessary to change out 3 different CD's in & out of the player.........

I gave iTunes about 12MB of RAM, so as far as I'm concerned, it's pretty fast now, and if it IS MP/altivec aware, then it should scream on a MP G4 for sure.....
You can have me mac when u pry me cold, dead fingas off da mothabowd :eek:

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Jan 23, 2001, 08:09 PM

Well, the incredible speed you're getting probably hints that it is MP-aware. This makes sense, since SoundJam is both Altivec optimized *and* MP aware. It's the same guts.

It would be faster on your G4, I think. Go for it! (This is the case when the "On insert CD, convert songs and eject" option comes in mighty handy).

It might even be faster under OS X once they port it. I'm sure they'll have it done to coincide w/ final release.

------------------
it's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2001, 09:19 PM

Yes, I have heard of incredible speeds reached in soundjam using an MPG4, it is heavily accelerated for both, and so therefore with iTunes ripping code straight from SoundJam, u would be expecting huge speeds!

snodman
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 23, 2001, 11:21 PM

SoundJam was practically the first Altivec enhanced application. It LOVES the G4. ITunes is SoundJam in Apple clothing. And, yes it also is multi processor enhanced. Even my Yikes G4 will encode MP3 data almost as fast as my Sony CRX 145e will rip the audio from a CD (nearly 8x for MP3 encoding vs just under 10x for ripping without encoding).

Forum Links
Forum Rules