Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > ram disk bonus.

ram disk bonus.
posthumanus
Senior User
Mar 30, 2001, 11:26 AM

it took me 2 days but i stripped my HD completely and re-installed OS9 / OS9.0.4 / Office2001 [IE5 & Entourage] and all their little friends onto 2 partitions - 7 & 3 out of 10Gb's.

used the first 7 for all apps / files / customisation ect. used the last 3 to store virgin everything.

i'll be damned, it worked: a few minor probs i'll ask about later but the ram disk thing is a bonus: makes IE5 instantaneous [thank's to david pogue] even with 64Mb ram it's worth re-directing IE's caches.

posthumanus.

tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 30, 2001, 10:12 PM

The worst thing that happened with the G3 and later Macs was the removal of a bootable RAM disk. This was a valuable feature for PowerBooks, easily doubling battery life. I hadn't heard of this restriction until I tried to set up a System Folder in a RAM disk on my TiBook and it didn't work. What a shame.
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

Forum Links
Forum Rules