Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Controlling display brightness in Vista

Controlling display brightness in Vista
striker100
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2007, 05:19 PM

On my Aluminum 24" iMac the display in Vista is still too bright even when the slider in the bootcamp assistant brightness setting is at it's lowest. It seems there really are only two brightness settings as when I slide the slider it does not gradually get less bright like it does in OS X. Is there any way to further adjust the brightness of the display?

adoptme
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2008, 07:56 PM

having the same problem.
I've already contact Apple Care on this one, and they were not able to help.

I would like to know whether you know how to adjust the screen brightness on the Mac Book Pro, when running Vista Ultimate. I'm able to adjust the brightness quite easily on the Mac OSX side, just by pressing "FN" and F1 or F2 to control the brightness, however, it seems that it is not the case with the Vista Side, since this function seems to be disabled.

Would you have a solution?
Please advise.
Many thanks.

adoptme
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2008, 08:16 PM

Found the solution:
Start >> Control Panel >> (Classic View) >> Boot Camp >> Brightness (Adjust dim to bright)

Good luck.

64stang06
Mac Elite
May 2, 2008, 10:08 PM

Does the keyboard brightness buttons work in Windows for you? Mine does, the same as it does on the Mac side. Try that
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

adoptme
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2008, 08:38 AM

no for some reason the keyboard keys don't work on the Windows side.
that's the first thing that I tried.

Do you have a solution for finding out how I can make them work?
do you think it's the plug-in/drivers for the keyboard off bootcamp?
let me know if you can, thanks.

Mac Book Pro, 2.4Ghz/2GB/200HD - Mac OS X Leopard + Windows Vista Ultimate, Intel Core 2 Duo

64stang06
Mac Elite
May 3, 2008, 08:47 AM

Weird. You could possibly re-install the drivers for Boot Camp (2.0 then update to 2.1) and see what happens from there.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
May 3, 2008, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by adoptme View Post
having the same problem.
I've already contact Apple Care on this one, and they were not able to help.

I would like to know whether you know how to adjust the screen brightness on the Mac Book Pro, when running Vista Ultimate. I'm able to adjust the brightness quite easily on the Mac OSX side, just by pressing "FN" and F1 or F2 to control the brightness, however, it seems that it is not the case with the Vista Side, since this function seems to be disabled.

Would you have a solution?
Please advise.
Many thanks.
Try pressing them without FN while in Windows, because they're not set up to have to use the FN modifier by default and that applies to OS X as well. Sounds like you turned on the use of the FN modifier in OS X.

adoptme
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2008, 11:41 AM

first try installing the new drivers from the Mac Support website, or try to reinstall the drivers on your original Mac OS X install disc 1 CD.

If that doesn't work, Dmitri has developed a beta 3.0 software that enables the keyboard backlight to work, and you would also be able to adjust the sensitivity too, which i thought was definitely a great feature:

link: Dmitri's projects - MacBook Tray Tools

Good luck.

adoptme
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2008, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by 64stang06 View Post
Does the keyboard brightness buttons work in Windows for you? Mine does, the same as it does on the Mac side. Try that
all worked fine after the reinstallation--however, Boot Camp 2.1 would not install properly (the Update version from Mac Support).
All else works, therefore, focusing on the other required energy instead of going back to this.
Many thanks for the support seanc and 64stang06.

Forum Links
Forum Rules