Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > For those that got Boot Camp 2.1 installed successfully, have you noticed problems?

For those that got Boot Camp 2.1 installed successfully, have you noticed problems?
jmFightSpam
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2008, 10:49 AM

Hi,

Specifically I am talking about running Windows Vista 32-bit on a MacBook Pro 15", 2.2 GHz (I believe Santa Rosa chipset since I bought it in June 2007) via Boot Camp.

I got Boot Camp 2.1 to install correctly, but I noticed that:
1. I had to re-enable sound via the device manager
2. And more importantly, my keyboard backlight does not function correctly anymore.

Has anyone seen these problems (or others), especially #2? The keyboard backlighting worked just fine with Boot Camp 2.0

Thanks.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 30, 2008, 06:24 PM

Welcome to the MacNN Forums!

Can you explain what you mean by "install Boot Camp 2.1"? Did you already have a Windows partition set up? Did you simply install the drivers that go with Boot Camp from your Leopard disc?

Those drivers are for WINDOWS, you know. First, Windows (XP at least) doesn't do a good job of telling you when a driver installation fails-the process may go fine, but that's all that gets reported. Whether the driver is properly installed and working is another matter entirely. Second, I don't know whether or not Windows XP or Vista supports the keyboard backlight system in the MBP-which would explain why your backlight doesn't work. If it worked under XP but doesn't under Vista (it's not clear whether you always had Vista or had upgraded), then it's almost definitely a problem with not having a Vista driver, or (more likely) a funky driver install-which you'd fix the same way you fixed your sound device driver issue.

(Nit pick: It's not a Santa Rosa chipset. Santa Rosa encompasses not only the motherboard chipset, but the Centrino WiFi device that goes with it. Apple does not use that WiFi device, so it's not a Centrino computer and thus not a Santa Rosa chipset. Very minor issue here, but precision is important sometimes, and we tend to get into that habit around here.)

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

jmFightSpam  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2008, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Welcome to the MacNN Forums!

Can you explain what you mean by "install Boot Camp 2.1"? Did you already have a Windows partition set up? Did you simply install the drivers that go with Boot Camp from your Leopard disc?

Those drivers are for WINDOWS, you know. First, Windows (XP at least) doesn't do a good job of telling you when a driver installation fails-the process may go fine, but that's all that gets reported. Whether the driver is properly installed and working is another matter entirely. Second, I don't know whether or not Windows XP or Vista supports the keyboard backlight system in the MBP-which would explain why your backlight doesn't work. If it worked under XP but doesn't under Vista (it's not clear whether you always had Vista or had upgraded), then it's almost definitely a problem with not having a Vista driver, or (more likely) a funky driver install-which you'd fix the same way you fixed your sound device driver issue.

(Nit pick: It's not a Santa Rosa chipset. Santa Rosa encompasses not only the motherboard chipset, but the Centrino WiFi device that goes with it. Apple does not use that WiFi device, so it's not a Centrino computer and thus not a Santa Rosa chipset. Very minor issue here, but precision is important sometimes, and we tend to get into that habit around here.)
ghporter,

Let me try to be more clear. I have had Windows Vista 32-bit on a Boot Camp partition for many months. The drivers that I installed for that partition came from the Leopard CD under the name Boot Camp 2.0 (in WIndows there is an icon in the task manager showing you that you are running Boot Camp). Keyboard backlighting worked fine.

Apple just released last week Boot Camp 2.1. This was seen under Windows under the Apple Software Update when I booted into Windows Vista. After I installed that update, the keyboard backlighting started giving me problems.

Make sense?

BTW, sorry for the chipset misunderstanding.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2008, 09:26 PM

I haven't had any problems with Boot Camp 2.1 but I also don't use it much.
Vandelay Industries

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 30, 2008, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by jmFightSpam View Post
ghporter,

Let me try to be more clear. I have had Windows Vista 32-bit on a Boot Camp partition for many months. The drivers that I installed for that partition came from the Leopard CD under the name Boot Camp 2.0 (in WIndows there is an icon in the task manager showing you that you are running Boot Camp). Keyboard backlighting worked fine.

Apple just released last week Boot Camp 2.1. This was seen under Windows under the Apple Software Update when I booted into Windows Vista. After I installed that update, the keyboard backlighting started giving me problems.

Make sense?

BTW, sorry for the chipset misunderstanding.
The chipset thing was just so someone else didn't explain it less politely-sometimes that happens because this sort of thing is very important to some people.

Your explanation is very clear now-thanks. Have you tried reinstalling the keyboard driver? It should work the first time, but as I said, Windows doesn't give you sufficient notice if a driver doesn't get installed properly (at least in a lot of cases). Reinstalling can't hurt, whatever you do.

I don't know how this update came down, so I'm swagging here. If you downloaded a persistent file (one that you still have access to), then just run that update again from your computer. Otherwise, download it again and let it do its thing.

I haven't gone after this update because I haven't booted into Windows in quite a while, but I'll take a look and see what happens for me (2.0GHz Core Duo MBP) and report back.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

jmFightSpam  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2008, 04:04 PM

Hi,
I am bypassing this all together and I have just started to use Fusion. And I am liking it so far!

Forum Links
Forum Rules