Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Mini server

Mac Mini server
Morbiato
Dec 6, 2010, 05:12 AM

Messed up initialising Snow Leopard Server and can't remember the User Name or Password so can't get into system on Mac Mini. Don't need Server and would like to install regular Snow Leopard instead. How can I do this?

P
Dec 6, 2010, 06:00 AM

You need an install disk for the version you want to install. Then boot from that disk (hold c when starting up, release when you hear the mini booting from the disk) and do an Erase and install.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Morbiato  (op)
Dec 6, 2010, 08:35 AM

Have done as above and eventually get a message which reads "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button until it turns off, then press Power Button again". Did this and screen [in Server?] comes up wanting user name and password again. Can't recall having put any name and password in when initialising - are they generic?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2010, 12:22 PM

I take it you have the current Mac Mini Server? What version of Snow Leopard (client) is on the DVD you used? It might be too old to support the new Minis. It looks like they might need 10.6.3 to work properly.

The username and password are not generic, you will have set them at. They can be changed: Boot from the Server DVD, when you get past choosing language, go up to the Utilities menu and choose 'change password'. This doesn't always work on Server for some reason.

If it still won't let you log in, there is another way but it involves rooting around in the command line. I can write it up for you if you need me to.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2010, 04:37 PM

To change the username/password you can just boot into single user mode (hold down s I think).

Morbiato  (op)
Dec 7, 2010, 08:26 AM

Have managed to sort Password problems - don't know how!

Can now open Snow Leopard Server [it is a current Mac Mini Server] and am trying to install regular version instead and despite holding down 'C' button when starting get into a recurring cycle of "You need to restart..." etc - am using installation disc of version 10.6.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 7, 2010, 09:30 AM

Which version of 10.6? It says on the disk.

If it's just 10.6, it's too old for the current-series Mac minis and will not boot.

Morbiato  (op)
Dec 7, 2010, 10:07 AM

Looks like this is the problem - version is 10.6. Is there a easy way of copying it from an iMac which is running 10.6.5? [idiot level instructions please!!]
( Last edited by Morbiato; Dec 7, 2010 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake.)

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 7, 2010, 11:23 AM

Well, you could try booting the mini into FireWire target disk mode by holding down the T key on boot, connecting that to the iMac, installing your copy of 10.6 onto the Mac mini's internal drive from there, rebooting the iMac from the mini's freshly-installed 10.6, and then running software update to get it up to 10.6.5.

You could migrate your imac's settings across while you're at it (upon first reboot, in the setup assistant.

Morbiato  (op)
Dec 8, 2010, 12:07 PM

Seems elderly OS 10 was the problem - got hold of 10.6.3 and have managed to install it on the mini server and haven't found any problems yet.

Thanks to all who advised and hope you all have a happy Xmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules