Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Anyone else have one of these ?

Anyone else have one of these ?
d.fine
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2004, 05:27 AM

I got this over 8 years ago, and I kept it because I had never seen one before. I am moving next month and while packing I found it again between the pages of an old book.
Are these rare, or are they fake ? Does anyone know more about them ?
Thanks in advance for the info :

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 27, 2004, 05:35 AM

I can't see your pics...
Is it a $2 bill?

d.fine  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2004, 05:41 AM

Yes it is ...

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 27, 2004, 05:46 AM

You don't see them much, but the last printing was in 1996. If yours is an old one, and has "good" signatures, it could be worth more than $2.

Seems to me that certain parts of the country tend to have more of them in circulation than others.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._two_dollar_bill

d.fine  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2004, 05:53 AM

Thx for the link, looks like they're not that common. I'll have to check and see what version I have.

[edit] it says 'Series 1976' on the bill, that good ?

[edit] " In 1976, the Treasury Department reintroduced the bill as a cost-saving measure. As part of the United States Bicentennial celebration, the note was redesigned. The front featured a new portrait of Jefferson, a version of an early 19th century portrait painted by Gilbert Stuart, and the picture of Monticello on the back was replaced with an engraved rendition of John Trumbull's painting "The Signing of the Declaration of Independence". 590,720,000 notes from the 1976 series were printed. The bills proved extremely unpopular and printing was quickly stopped. " Guess not ...
( Last edited by d.fine; Jun 27, 2004 at 06:00 AM. )

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 27, 2004, 06:03 AM

When I was in high school ('84-'88) we went to Metlakatla (the only native reservation in Alaska) to play basketball. There was a (as in one) store, and they gave out $2 bills and $1 coins (the old style, not the Susan B. Anthony or the more recent $1 coins) like they were everyday currency.

I held onto some of them, so don't feel silly considering them collectable.

dracoleb
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 27, 2004, 06:06 AM

We get these a few times a month where I work, though the most we have had in one day was about 15. Kind of cool, but these along with dollar coins can never really become popular unless the vending machines take them. Of course the vending machines will never take them unless they become popular, sort of a catch 22.
"To create a new standard takes something that's not just a little bit different. It takes something that's really new and captures people's imaginations. Macintosh meets that standard"- Bill Gates

d.fine  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2004, 06:09 AM

I just had hoped there would have been less than " 590,720,000 " copies ...
I consider it a collectible, I guess thats why I kept it 8 years ago , I've got some old silver quarters around here somewhere as well (at least I think they're old), and a gold one too if I remember correctly.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2004, 07:54 AM

Don't collect them! Use them!

... even though I have one sitting in my wallet...

The reason not to collect them is because the government wants to use bills like these, since it would save money if people used them - worth $2 instead of $1, or using a $1 coin instead of a bill lasts a longer time.

However, when these things come out, a huge number hold onto them, and nobody really uses it.

At least, that's what my eleventh grade history teacher told me... hopefully he was right.

I doubt it's worth very much, though... mine has sentimental value (belonged to someone I knew), so that's why I keep mine.

d.fine  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2004, 09:35 AM

I kept it because I'd never seen one, and I still have it now because I recently found it, after like 8 years, and I can't spend it, cause I live in Europe, I don't think going to the bank to exchange a USD 2 dollar bill will look like a smart move I can see the looks on their faces

hyperb0le
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2004, 12:55 PM

I've got one, but it's only 1995 :/ My parents gave it to me when I was 7 years old when I lost two teeth at the same time. (Yes, I believed in the tooth fairy )

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2004, 01:04 PM

Was given 50 consecutively numbered $2 bills one year for Xmas. My daughter got into them when she was 2 years old, and now I have... oh... 40 or so semi-consecutively numbered $2's!

'Sposedly you can get as many as you want at most banks. Uncommon, but not rare.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

gomanute
Jun 27, 2004, 01:04 PM

gomanute wants to know whatever happened to the Sacajawea dollar coin that was supposed to replace the paper dollar bill.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2004, 01:15 PM

Rumor mill has it that there is going to be a big push by the U.S. Mint to get the Susan B. and Sacajewea Dollars back into circulation and attempt to remove the dollar bill from circulation. Mint wants to issue commemorative dollar coins to appeal to the masses (like the commemorative quarters & Lousiana Purchase Nickle) to gain acceptance and popularity for the dollar coin. Treasury Dept. (who print paper money) is not so sold on this idea. The mint (who makes the coins) wants it to happen so they can get the previous two craptacular dollar coins in use again.

Have a feeling this one will go down in flames.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2004, 01:22 PM

I had a $2 bill at one point, but when the occasion occurred I spent the money.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

zachs
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2004, 01:46 PM

Well as long as we're talking about money...

I have a few $2 bills, plus these coins:

hyperb0le
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2004, 02:11 PM

Well, while we're on the topic of collectable money, I've got:

Colorized 'Lady Liberty' Silver Dollar - 2000

$2 Bill - 1995

Several Bicentennial Quarters - 1976

Two Bicentennial Kennedy Half dollars - 1976

One Bicentennial Eisenhower Dollar Coin - 1976

Some buffalo nickels + native american pennies (from 1800s, early 1900s)

And, finally:

A Morgan Silver Dollar - 1896

No, I don't collect coins. i just found all these either given as change or, in the case of the Morgan dollar, it was in a sewing bag that my Great Grandmother passed down to my mother.

zachs
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2004, 02:20 PM

Originally posted by hyperb0le:
Well, while we're on the topic of collectable money, I've got:

No, I don't collect coins. i just found all these either given as change or, in the case of the Morgan dollar, it was in a sewing bag that my Great Grandmother passed down to my mother.
Yeah, I have an Eisenhower bicentennial, too. I also have a bunch of steel pennies and some Mercury dimes and Indian-head pennies.

Jaey
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2004, 03:07 PM

All of my cool monies are from foreign countries.

malson
Senior User
Jun 27, 2004, 04:23 PM

Yeah, about those TPS reports, didn't you get the memo?
--------------
2.3 Ghz Dual-Core G5/20" LCD/Life is Good!
Moo...

notaclone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2004, 05:30 PM

Originally posted by d.fine:
Are these rare, or are they fake ? Does anyone know more about them ?

They came out in 1st 1976 as I recollect. I had several, managed to hang on to one that looks like it went through a tug of war. I'd still like a confession out of the sibling who swiped my pristine one out of my scrap book.
Oh yeah, definitely 1976. "Tug of war" was handy on the book shelf. I doubt it's worth anything in this condition. Wonder where "pristine" is and if it is a mint 1st issue is worth anything? This one has a "K" serial number.

I HATE $1 coins. I spend the Susan B's as quarters, and get armfuls of the gold ones as change when I buy a train ticket so those have NO value as I end up giving them to niecephews at the end of the train ride to get rid of the weight. Ugh.

While we are at it. Can we abolish pennies?

d.fine  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 03:38 AM

Originally posted by malson:
$2 bill madness
nice story,

The one I have is in really good condition, it looks like new. This one has a B serial nr I think.

MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Jun 28, 2004, 03:57 AM

I am pretty sure you can go into the bank and get $2 bills. If I gave money for a present when I was younger, I would always give $2 bills. It gives that cop-out present a little class

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2004, 08:35 AM

$2 bill madness
Classic.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

boardsurfer
Jun 28, 2004, 11:32 AM

My wife would always get a few $2's here and there. She's a waitress. Little did I know she had been keeping them for , oh like, 15 years! She's got a stack of 2's like this tall. $220 some dollars worth.
I was surprised to see some dated in the 90's - didnt know they made them that recently.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2004, 11:56 AM

i have several rare items. including over a dozen $2 bills. been hording them for sometime and will snatch them up any chance i can.

my favoris is the huge collection of "lead" pennies from 1943 which were zinc covered steel. i also have 2, very rare, copper pennies from 1943 before they started hording the copper for the war effort, and switched to the above zinc/steel ones. both have been certified as real, and not copper coated zinc/steel pennies from the era. guess some collectors have been burned on that one.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 28, 2004, 08:22 PM

Originally posted by notaclone:
Originally posted by d.fine:
While we are at it. Can we abolish pennies?
Amen.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2004, 08:31 PM

somewhere, i have a $2 bill or bills with the date when it was issued stamped on it by the bank...man when was that? woa...1976

and i'm watching rocky on amc right now...cosmic

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 29, 2004, 01:01 PM

They still print $2 bills. You can get whole uncut sheets of series-2003 $2 bills from the Bureau of Engraving and Printing. (Yes, their website really is www.moneyfactory.com.)

tooki

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2004, 01:24 PM

Originally posted by gomanute:
gomanute wants to know whatever happened to the Sacajawea dollar coin that was supposed to replace the paper dollar bill.
it didnt really make anyone in the US happy. it solved the mints problem (paper dollars wear out quickly and need to be reprinted, while a dollar coin lasts for many years), but noone really likes them.

also, your average store register doesnt have a slot for dollar coins. so stores dont give them in change.

andi*pandi
Jun 29, 2004, 08:57 PM

I thought the reason they didn't catch on is that they messed up majorly by making it the same size as the quarter. ???

I have a 2$ bill from the 70s somewhere, as well as several silver dollars and 1/2 dollars. A grandmother used to give them out at Christmas.

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2004, 09:41 AM

USA needs to do what Canada did with our $1 coin: make it noticably NOT a friggin quarter! Hell, the $2 coin is two different colours.

notaclone is giving away free money? Can I get in on that action?

Thorin
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2004, 09:53 AM

$2 bill madness
This sounds oh too familiar. In the UK, different banks print different looking notes (they're all in UK �, they're all for the same amounts, and they're all legal tender). So in England everything's from the bank of England, so far as I know Wales is the same, but in Scotland there are a couple of different banks that print different looking notes, and then it's the same in Northern Ireland. My girlfriend's from Northern Ireland, and every time she goes home and then comes back with a couple of notes, she has trouble using them. She caves in really easy, but if I'm there I get really stroppy with them until they take them (even had to give my name and address before). I had a few notes left over after going up to a stag weekend in Edinbrugh recently, but I had less trouble with Scottish notes than we get with the Northern Irish ones for some reason. Whenever we try to use a Northern Irish note, they reply with "we don't take Irish money" - it's not friggin' Irish money though, they use Euros, not pounds stirling you moron!

Sorry - rant over
12" Rev B PB

Forum Links
Forum Rules