Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > No Merom yet

No Merom yet
drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Sep 25, 2006, 11:40 AM

So I guess Photokina did not bring us any new MB/MBP updates...

What is wrong with Apple? They're like the little kid at the back of a back yelling "Guys! Wait up!"
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

drnkn_stylz  (op)
Senior User
Sep 25, 2006, 11:59 AM

I was reading through Apple Insider and I believe the actual fair starts tomorrow? So that means they MIGHT still release them. I feel like I'm still hoping when the dream is already dead
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

kw14
Sep 25, 2006, 01:12 PM

Just to update anyone waiting for Merom MB...my MB schedule for shipping on Sept 21 arrived Friday Sept 22. As you would've guessed, it is 2.0 Core Duo. It's a nice machine. No problems. Runs no hotter than my Powerbook according to my palms. Life is good. Good luck to all still holding out.

spencers
Sep 25, 2006, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by kw14
Just to update anyone waiting for Merom MB...my MB schedule for shipping on Sept 21 arrived Friday Sept 22. As you would've guessed, it is 2.0 Core Duo. It's a nice machine. No problems. Runs no hotter than my Powerbook according to my palms. Life is good. Good luck to all still holding out.
You mean Core2Duo?

kw14
Sep 25, 2006, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by spencers
You mean Core2Duo?
No. CoreDuo as in Yonah. That's what I received Friday. I didn't put too much weight on the rumor of Core2Duo being in the MacBook. So I wasn't disappointed. It's still a nice computer.

I just saw the blurp on Photokina show Apple event: looks like just the Aperture update--no merom there. Who knows when Core2Duo would reach the Macbook. There is always a hope for a silent update some time in the next week or two. Then again, I am glad I have the MB over the weekend and began migrating a bunch of stuff to it.

drnkn_stylz  (op)
Senior User
Sep 25, 2006, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by spencers
You mean Core2Duo?
I think he means 2.0gHz Core Duo...

Man I am getting so frustrated waiting. I am in University and I hate not having a laptop...

rlinhares
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2006, 02:47 PM

Not so much for the menrom chip, I want to wait for the 2nd gen machine. Those random shutdowns don't scare you guys?

kw14
Sep 25, 2006, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by drnkn_stylz
I think he means 2.0gHz Core Duo...

Man I am getting so frustrated waiting. I am in University and I hate not having a laptop...
Oh, yeah. I see the possible ambiguity there. Yes, 2.0GHz Core Duo.

Dude, I feel your pain laptopless and waiting. I get a bit lost without my computer for a few days. Hope everything works out for you.

kw14
Sep 25, 2006, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by rlinhares
Not so much for the menrom chip, I want to wait for the 2nd gen machine. Those random shutdowns don't scare you guys?
You know, it didn't occur to me to be concerned about the random shutdown syndrome. I thought the cause was identified a few weeks ago. I figure the latest Books have the fix. That's why I ordered on-line to get the latest factory unit. (Week 38 BTW). If not, I'll let Apple fix it.

Contrary to all the horror stories I hear, my experience with any Mac problems I've had were handled very well and very promptly--well within my tolerance level. The only thing I dread is the wait on the phone. Even then, the most I've waited that I can remember was like 0.5 hour.

But if this RSS happens to me, I'll let y'all know.

drnkn_stylz  (op)
Senior User
Sep 25, 2006, 03:07 PM

Taken from MacOSRumors.com...

Unfortunately, previous reports suggesting that Apple's presence at the Photokina Expo in Europe would include a new product release were only partly true -- Apple has released Aperture 1.5, with a number of powerful new features (a free upgrade for existing Aperture owners to boot!), but no new Macbooks/MBP's or other hardware revamps as the grapevine had speculated.

With the Photokina event behind us, the grapevine has no reliable projections for the long-rumored laptop updates that will include Core 2 Duo processors -- but our own sources in Cupertino now suggest that the updates will take place not at a press-intensive Apple Event but rather as a secondary announcement along with at least one other mobile-related technology in about two weeks' time.
Two weeks? GAH!! That's not even certain either! This is getting ridiculous.....

I have no problem ordering a Core Duo, but I just think it would be silly if the C2D are around the corner. I don't think I would use my Mac to take advantage of 64bit apps, however Leopard is supposed to be 64bit no? So that's kinda why I wanna wait...

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 25, 2006, 03:53 PM

i thought photokina started today, and yes, i do not feel i would be putting 64 bit to use any time soon, but i want to be a little future proof as well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules