Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Time Machine Drive - Does it need to be formatted first?...

Time Machine Drive - Does it need to be formatted first?...
frankmcma
Aug 13, 2010, 12:00 PM

I have a standard internal journaled 1TB drive in my Mac Pro, running Snow Leopard. I use it to store files, etc.

I have so much space left that I want to also use it as a Time Machine drive. Can I just activate TM and choose this drive? Or does TM require it to be formatted first? Can it ONLY be used for TM?

Thank

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 13, 2010, 12:28 PM

Time Machine volumes must be formatted HFS+, but you can use them for other stuff as well.

If it's already HFS+, just select it - done.

If it needs formatting, it will ask you and note that you'll lose any data on it.

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2010, 01:12 PM

Spot on Spheric. All Time Machine will do is create a folder called Backups.backupdb within the drive.

Mac Write
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2010, 03:55 PM

Remember the backing up the data from the 1TB drive to the Time Machine archive on that drive isn't real backup, since the data and backup are both on the same physical drive.
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2010, 05:53 PM

Oh woah. Missed that!

Yeah, putting it on the same physical drive is a bad idea.

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2010, 07:47 PM

I don't think it's possible to use time machine to backup to yourself. Not without some hackery anyway. But you can use time machine drives for other things. Usually it's not recommended, but it's doable. And in some circumstances it's just fine. My collocated server has a 750 GB backup drive. Time machine backs up my webfolder ram disk in a standard time machine backup, plus my server's own backup scripts also do weekly backups to the same drive. And I do periodic 30 GB home backups of my most important stuff, and upload that as well. No problems.

Forum Links
Forum Rules