Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Multiple Macbook problems

Multiple Macbook problems
Andhee
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2011, 05:21 PM

Just wondering if anyone can help out fix these problems I've been having with my mid-2007 Macbook;

When the mac is on charge, at around 80% charge it begins to go from charging to not charging every couple of seconds. I've not been able to get a full charge for about 2 weeks now, grim.

Another problem: when I get to below 40% while off charge, it has started randomly shutting down, as if I had taken the battery out or something. The battery will be nowhere near 0% either, it sometimes happens at percentages as high as 35.

Additional info: battery cycle count is 874, recently banged in a new hard drive just before christmas, and also put in a blue filter behind the screen behind the apple logo.

If anyone has any solutions or trouble shooting ideas, please let me know!

Thanks in advance!
Macbook mid 2007: 2Gb Ram, Intel core 2 duo, 2.16GHz, 500Gb HDD, Snow Leopard 10.6.6
HTC HD7 (Windows Phone 7!)
iPod 5G 80GB
iPod Mini 4GB (Blue)

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 10, 2011, 06:00 PM

That's a high cycle count for a battery.
My first suggestion would be to try another battery, beg/borrow one. You borrow mine if you're somewhere near.

Andhee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 12, 2011, 11:03 AM

Thanks man, I would, but I'm up in Manchester, when I'm back at uni I'll borrow a mates or something and see if its the battery which is problematic.

Yesterday however, I was running my mac on battery, and it got down to about 10% without spontaneously shutting down, so I thought I'd charge it, and a while later when it was above 80%, the charger light wasn't flickering between green and orange, and it charged normally right up to 100%. Nothing has changed, it's just the two problems I mentioned have seemingly stopped (I'll see how long it lasts far), but since yesterday everything has been fine!
Macbook mid 2007: 2Gb Ram, Intel core 2 duo, 2.16GHz, 500Gb HDD, Snow Leopard 10.6.6
HTC HD7 (Windows Phone 7!)
iPod 5G 80GB
iPod Mini 4GB (Blue)

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2011, 05:37 AM

Might be worth reconditioning it. Charge it right up and then run it completely flat. Then charge again.

The cycle count is high though so it may just be that your charge meter needs recalibrating. Reconditioning will do this for you. Apple only guarantees these as useful for 300 cycles. If yours has done three times that it should be on its last legs anyway.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules