Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Does this sound like hardware or software?

Does this sound like hardware or software?
MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 22, 2004, 10:10 AM

I am having a little trouble with the superdrive on my G4 TiBook, and am trying to figure out if it is hardware, or software. The symptoms are:

1) It will not read many CD-Rs (Out of the last 5 I have received from my designer, my PB has only been able to mount 2. The other three mounted fine on my partners AlBook).

2) About 75% of the time, it will not burn a CD or DVD. I keep getting a hardware failed, will not retry message in Disk Utility if I try to burn an image, and most of the time, a blank CD wont show up in the finder to burn files that way.

It is still under applecare, so it shouldn't be a problem to replace if the problem is the superdrive itself, however, I dont want to send the PB away if it is just software. Any ideas?

-Mark

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 22, 2004, 11:18 AM

Based on that, I'd say it's most likely a hardware defect.

tooki

romeosc
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2004, 11:20 AM

Sounds like hardware to me. Either mal aligned head or need cleaning.

MarkLT1  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 22, 2004, 12:14 PM

Thanks guys.. I was thinking hardware as well.. so I'll take it on into the applestore tomorrow.

Forum Links
Forum Rules