Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > ~ The official Tiger buglist

~ The official Tiger buglist (Page 6)
OreoCookie
May 1, 2005, 09:30 AM

Plus, you can encrypt disk images, thereby making it impossible for someone without your password to access your data.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2005, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Deimos
Send break (ctrl-c, cmd-.) doesn't work for me in Terminal. Have to close the window to exit a process like reading a man page.
Um, "q" is what you hit to exit the manpage reader.

I'm having problems with Tiger's rsync, as chronicled here. It's recopying metadata (._filename stuff) every time for all files regardless of whether they've been changed or not. It's also much, much slower than it was in Panther. Very frustrating.

Also, long after all of my drives have been indexed, I still find mds and mdimport occasionally eating all my CPU. Also LAServer. This is really pissing me off.

Deimos
May 1, 2005, 09:44 AM

Deleted.
( Last edited by Deimos; May 1, 2005 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Post I replied to had changed.)

Deimos
May 1, 2005, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by wataru
Um, "q" is what you hit to exit the manpage reader.

I know. I was just having one of those long days, nothing was making sense to me. One other thing that got me off-balance, was that hitting the spacebar would exit it in Panther, but not in Tiger. After that my mind just slid into mud.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2005, 10:57 AM

Yeah I noticed the spacebar thing too, but I wasn't sure if it changed or if I just went crazy

Another major annoyance I'm having: Setting a document's "open with this app" setting isn't sticking

Deimos
May 1, 2005, 11:02 AM

Yeah I noticed the spacebar thing too, but I wasn't sure if it changed or if I just went crazy
lol, yeah, I think my brain capsized when something I knew worked one way, didn't anymore. It's like having to re-learn something all over again, I forget the fundamentals.

Another major annoyance I'm having: Setting a document's "open with this app" setting isn't sticking
Yup, same here. There's no rhyme or reason behind it, but it is annoying. Also "slideshow" seems to go belly up on occasions, a log out seems to correct it.

Guess it's expected with a major release.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2005, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by analogika
Yes, you can boot from Disk-Utility-created backups.

As for automated backup schedules...add an Automator script to crontab?

What about sub-folders? I use CCC to automatically back up Users and applications weekly, but I leave the OS to do manually, so I don't automatically overwrite a buggy update over a known stable backup.

After reading through the Bombich forums, it looks like it's just an authentication issue, and you can launch it from the terminal by using 'sudo open'.

Not sure if 10.4 will still run scripts created in 10.3, though.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Souljah
May 1, 2005, 12:09 PM

Wipe + Install = Bugs gone.

.....well at least the ones I was witnessing.

I initially did an "upgrade" from Panther but had too many sticky/buggy application related annoyances to leave it like this.

The only stuff I kept from Panther were my Mail/Address Book/iTunes and iPhoto folders.

Happy to report everything is less sticky and well I hate to say it but... it feels snappier!
G5 DP 1.8 Rev.B 3g Ram
20" Apple Cinema.
Tigger 10.4.1

Severed Hand of Skywalker  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2005, 12:46 PM

Click on a widget and hit Command R, it realoads it. Do it 3 times in a row and it always says it crashed the widget (even though it looks fine).

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
May 1, 2005, 01:29 PM

Safari's scroll bar seems to disappear with artifacts on some forums.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 1, 2005, 03:01 PM

I hope you guys are reporting these to Apple. Hopefully the 10.4.1 update will be out by next week.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

senseigmg
Forum Regular
May 1, 2005, 04:16 PM

Blackbook 2.4ghz/250gb/2gb

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
May 1, 2005, 04:53 PM

hmm same..
iamwhor3hay

fhoubi
Senior User
May 1, 2005, 06:34 PM

Open a movie in Quicktime Player (Pro), minimize it, quit Quicktime. Crash.
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2005, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by fhoubi
Open a movie in Quicktime Player (Pro), minimize it, quit Quicktime. Crash.
Doesn't crash for me, but it doesn't let me un-minimize it. While the movie is minimized, if you first switch to another app, then click the QuickTime Player icon in the dock, the movie window will reappear, but remain in the dock as well. Now the minimize button does not work. If you then close the window, the minimized movie will disappear from the dock.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2005, 10:05 PM

Type 2 + 3 * 3 into the Dashboard Calculator widget. Note the result. Now type 2 + 3 * 3 into Calculator.app and note the result. The Dashboard calculator is completely unusable in this state.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2005, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
Type 2 + 3 * 3 into the Dashboard Calculator widget. Note the result. Now type 2 + 3 * 3 into Calculator.app and note the result. The Dashboard calculator is completely unusable in this state.
So one assumes (2+3) x 3 and the other assumes 2 + (3 x 3).

Interesting.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

MacGallant
Dedicated MacNNer
May 1, 2005, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by alphasubzero949
I too notice some scrollbar graphic anomalies as well.
I made a separate thread about it here:
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=254383

I hope Apple gets this fixed, since it never happened for me in Panther.
PowerMacG4 MDD Dual867Mhz, MacOSX 10.5.5 Leopard
2GB Ram, 128mb Radeon 9800 Pro, 80GB HD & 160GB HD
MacBook Black: Core2Duo 2.2Ghz, MacOSX 10.5.5 Leopard
4GB Ram & 250GB HD

THE MAC GOD
Mac Enthusiast
May 2, 2005, 12:01 AM

Well... Quark 6.1 seems to work fine if anyone wants to know.

All as artificial as the Matrix itself, although only a human mind could invent something as insipid as Love.

jedimstr
May 2, 2005, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by Fusion
Mail:
Dashboard:
Again, this is not so much of a bug as it is an annoyance. All the widgets do not update until you activate dashboard, creating a delay that is highly against the purpose of dashboard (to always be close and ready when you need it). The currency updated especially does not seem to update when it should and there is no manual way to force it to update.
You can force reload a widget by using cmd-R. It will reload the last selected widget with a cool swishing animation.
----------------------------------------------------
Jedi's Lair: Reviews, Tips, and the RickyCam
----------------------------------------------------
Jedi's Photos: Living life one shutter click at a time...

Sarah31
Forum Regular
May 2, 2005, 02:32 AM

I just used the update option on both my G5 iMac and first gen 12" PB and the only bugs I have found so far is that on my PB I don't get that fancy rippling with dashboard and the perl in this release doesn't play well with most irc apps. In fact MacIrrsi won't even launch with Tiger Xchat works but perl issues exist too. In all I am pleased so far.

The mail app still has th tendency to place a few things in my junk box that it first was not then I had to train to not put them in junk. This is an issue that started well befor einstalling tiger though.

On the whole I am EXTREMELY happy that I did not have to archive all the stuff I have on both computers and spend weeks rebuilding both systems to the way I have them now. The upgrade option is a huge plus to me. Perhaps it bodes well for the future and we may not even have to worry about phisically owning a copy of the OS instead all upgrading is done seemlessly and dynamically online like it is for many of the distributions of Linux and the ports system in BSD.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2005, 02:59 AM

Hmm.

I guess it works like the $1.99 calculator it resembles.

AFAIC, they could iclude the option for a full-blown RPN calculator. I (and actually most of my colleagues) can't stand anything else.

MacGallant
Dedicated MacNNer
May 2, 2005, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by alphasubzero949
Are alphasubzero949 and I the only ones experiencing scrollbar artifacts in Safari 2.0 of MacOSX 10.4 Tiger?
PowerMacG4 MDD Dual867Mhz, MacOSX 10.5.5 Leopard
2GB Ram, 128mb Radeon 9800 Pro, 80GB HD & 160GB HD
MacBook Black: Core2Duo 2.2Ghz, MacOSX 10.5.5 Leopard
4GB Ram & 250GB HD

samslaves
Forum Regular
May 2, 2005, 05:34 AM

MY GOD. Waiting for Tiger 10.4.3. Too buggy.

nforcer
Mac Elite
May 2, 2005, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by MacGallant
Are alphasubzero949 and I the only ones experiencing scrollbar artifacts in Safari 2.0 of MacOSX 10.4 Tiger?
Nope, I have noticed it as well.
Genius. You know who.

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
May 2, 2005, 06:32 AM

About the calculator widget. I think it's the Calculator app that's out of order. 2+3*3 is 15 in my book.
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

jlgrandam
Forum Regular
May 2, 2005, 07:09 AM

Get a refund from your gradeschool.
12.1" Powerbook G4

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2005, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Fonzie
About the calculator widget. I think it's the Calculator app that's out of order. 2+3*3 is 15 in my book.
Your book is wrong. It's called order of operations. Look it up.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2005, 08:45 AM

OMG

ThaShef
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2005, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by johnt519
Mail connecting to a mail SMTP server over SSL does not work.. same settings under Panther worked fine. POP over SSL works fine.
This is a serious bug, as I can't send my mail from the client using GMail's SMTP service anymore..

cc_foo
Dedicated MacNNer
May 2, 2005, 10:37 AM

Odd, I normally can paste a filename into a save dialog box.

However, if I do a Print to PDF file, I can�t seem to paste text into that particular save dialog box.

beverson
Mac Enthusiast
May 2, 2005, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
How many years ago was 8.1? (My first Mac came with OS 8.0, so I guess 98, 7 years?)
I've definitely just hit my head very hard against this AFP bug/restriction. It's terrible!

I was very happy with Tiger until today. I got to school (I'm a high school teacher) and tried to connect to our aging (OS 8?) AFP server that serves up our attendance data files. Our attendance program runs in Classic and has to connect to this old AFP server to get access to the data file. It's a pain in the butt, but at least it's worked until now. But today, I tried to mount the AFP server just like I have all year under Panther, and I got the following error message:

"This file server uses an incompatible version of the AFP protocol. You cannot connect to it."

WTF?? Did Tiger break compatibility with older AFP servers? I would love it if we could update all our aging Macs across the district or even just in our building, but it's not gonna happen any time soon (money). I'm sure that there are lots of schools and organizations that still need to network between new Tiger systems and older Classic-only machines. Why did this break??

I don't have another Tiger install here to test it with. In fact, I'm probably the only Tiger user in the building, and maybe the district, right now. Can anyone else confirm this problem? I tried logging into a clean account on my PowerBook and got the same error, so it's at least system-wide on my machine. I sure hope this is a bug and not a "feature" of some sort. I've already submitted a bug report to Apple (the feedback page doesn't even list 10.4 as a choice yet). I haven't checked other boards yet. I was really psyched about Tiger until 10 minutes ago....
( Last edited by beverson; May 2, 2005 at 11:17 AM. Reason: typo)

MacAtak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2005, 12:47 PM

I just noticed this. If I navigate to my desktop using the Finder it is empty. But in actuallity it is not.

Then I logged in as a different user and the items on the desktop did appear in the finder.

Odd. I'd try logging out with my current user and back in to see if it fixes itself but I'm in the middle of something. Either way it should be working right now. Other than that, I haven't noticed anything serious.

Thus, creating the most ginormous can of whoop ass the world as ever seen.

OreoCookie
May 2, 2005, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by beverson
I've definitely just hit my head very hard against this AFP bug/restriction. It's terrible!

I was very happy with Tiger until today. I got to school (I'm a high school teacher) and tried to connect to our aging (OS 8?) AFP server that serves up our attendance data files. Our attendance program runs in Classic and has to connect to this old AFP server to get access to the data file. It's a pain in the butt, but at least it's worked until now. But today, I tried to mount the AFP server just like I have all year under Panther, and I got the following error message:

"This file server uses an incompatible version of the AFP protocol. You cannot connect to it."

WTF?? Did Tiger break compatibility with older AFP servers? I would love it if we could update all our aging Macs across the district or even just in our building, but it's not gonna happen any time soon (money). I'm sure that there are lots of schools and organizations that still need to network between new Tiger systems and older Classic-only machines. Why did this break??

I don't have another Tiger install here to test it with. In fact, I'm probably the only Tiger user in the building, and maybe the district, right now. Can anyone else confirm this problem? I tried logging into a clean account on my PowerBook and got the same error, so it's at least system-wide on my machine. I sure hope this is a bug and not a "feature" of some sort. I've already submitted a bug report to Apple (the feedback page doesn't even list 10.4 as a choice yet). I haven't checked other boards yet. I was really psyched about Tiger until 10 minutes ago....
It's not a bug. Support for that old a version is deprecated.

I would suggest the following: try to find a Mac which runs OS 9 (I'm sure you have old PowerMacs somewhere, ask students' parents to look in their attic) and move everything to OS 9. It should work for a little while longer ...

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
May 2, 2005, 01:01 PM

Not true

In calculators like that one operation is just made on top of another.

That is the correct order of operation for them. You write 2+3 and the second you press anything else, be it = or * the input is executed and the result is used for your next operation.

Ever single operation is just (x+y) or (xy) and then on to the next.

I'm surprised Calculator.app treats 2+3*3 as 2+(3*3) because real world calculators of that "power" do not. I'm sure the Calculator program in OS 9 beaved exactly like the one in Dashboard.

Finally I like to point out you have an attitude problem. Have a nice day

“Building Better Worlds”

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
May 2, 2005, 01:06 PM

A bug: In Spotlight do a kind:images or similar search. I get a window with hundreds of images. Now drag and select the pictures and find out you can only select the icons that are visible, and the window does not scroll down when you try to select the icons lower in the window. So no scrolling when selecting in Spotlight windows.

“Building Better Worlds”

OreoCookie
May 2, 2005, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Weyland-Yutani
Not true

In calculators like that one operation is just made on top of another.

That is the correct order of operation for them. You write 2+3 and the second you press anything else, be it = or * the input is executed and the result is used for your next operation.

Ever single operation is just (x+y) or (xy) and then on to the next.

I'm surprised Calculator.app treats 2+3*3 as 2+(3*3) because real world calculators of that "power" do not. I'm sure the Calculator program in OS 9 beaved exactly like the one in Dashboard.

Finally I like to point out you have an attitude problem. Have a nice day
Wataru is right.

You shouldn't be surprised. Most modern calculators interpret 2+3*3 as 2 + (3*3). Because that's the way it's supposed to be mathematically.

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
May 2, 2005, 01:24 PM

Wataru is right.

You shouldn't be surprised. Most modern calculators interpret 2+3*3 as 2 + (3*3). Because that's the way it's supposed to be mathematically.
You opinion of this matter is not important.

“Building Better Worlds”

Brazuca
Mac Elite
May 2, 2005, 01:59 PM

IMO, if you can type out on the calculator 2+3*3 and then hit = to get a result, it should compute 2+(3*3). If, on the other hand, your calculator doesn't allow for expressions and calculates each operation individually/sequentially, then the result should be the equivalent of (2+3)*3.

But mathematically, the correct order of operations leads to 2+(3*3).
"It's about time trees did something good insted of just standing there LIKE JERKS!" :)

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2005, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Weyland-Yutani
I'm surprised Calculator.app treats 2+3*3 as 2+(3*3) because real world calculators of that "power" do not.
My real world calculator is more than 15 years old and it gets it right. Where do you find one these days that doesn't?

Most widgets (Dictionary, Address Book) use the engines of their proper application equivalent under the hood, so why doesn't the Calculator widget use Calculator.app's engine when that is already capable to do it correctly?

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
May 2, 2005, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Brazuca
IMO, if you can type out on the calculator 2+3*3 and then hit = to get a result, it should compute 2+(3*3). If, on the other hand, your calculator doesn't allow for expressions and calculates each operation individually/sequentially, then the result should be the equivalent of (2+3)*3.

But mathematically, the correct order of operations leads to 2+(3*3).
Yes, that is absoloutly correct - which is why this isn't subject to anyone's opinion. This has nothing to do with what is mathematically correct or not. This is a limitation of the calculator in Dashboard. It is limited to one operation at a time. Period.

But then again I feel I'm repeating myself, I said all that in my post above and then OreoCookie demonstrates his utter inability to read and comprehend and then post when replying to me.

One just *can't* enter 2+3*3 in the Dashboard calculator. That's just not a feature. Only x+y or y*z is possible. Nothing else. That makes the Dashboard calculator 100% mathematically correct within the limitations it has. In other words it is not a bug, it is a feature.

Personally I prefer the way Dashboard calculator works because there is no way to see the history or the entire operation at one time before you execute the command. That is why we have graphical calculators with all that screen real-estate.

To TETANAL, OreoCookie and wataru, I suggest they use the much better featured Grapher.app - it can be found in the Utilities folder in Tiger. It is a calculator that can in fact handle 2+3*3 in one operation and a whole lot of other neat things

“Building Better Worlds”

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
May 2, 2005, 02:30 PM

My real world calculator is more than 15 years old and it gets it right. Where do you find one these days that doesn't?

Most widgets (Dictionary, Address Book) use the engines of their proper application equivalent under the hood, so why doesn't the Calculator widget use Calculator.app's engine when that is already capable to do it correctly?
Hm let's see TETANAL.. <W-Y picks up the next thing that has a simple +-*/ calculator>

My SonyEricsson T86i GSM has a calculator. Surprise surprise 2+3*3 = 15 according to it.

Age has nothing to do with it. Most 'modern' calculators don't have the feature to be able to enter x+y*z as one operation. 20 year old scientific calculators should do so just fine. But the normal plain vanilla calculator simply does not have that feature.

As I've said before, this is just a feature of the Dashboard calculator. It is simulating the real-world machines of similar complexity. It can only do one simple operation at a time and then it exacutes that operation.

X+Y EXECUTE == Z

Z*A EXECUTE == B

If you want better features and abilities the Calculator.app is a wannabe scientific calculator and can enter X+Y*Z as one operation but I recommend Grapher.app that is found in Tiger. It is very nice

“Building Better Worlds”

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2005, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by badtz
if you have the iSync menubar icon visible and don't have a .mac account, you can't access the "sync now" feature on that menu to synchronize your information with your bluetooth phone, it only gives you access to sync w/.mac

... anyone else have this prob.?
Yes. I just noticed that. I'm sure Apple is thinking of this as a "feature" instead of a bug. It is a step back in terms of usability IMO. Previously, i could do all my syncing ... to .Mac, Exchange, and my phone ... in one spot like this. Now I have to do it in 2 places. I have no idea why they decided to change this.

OAW

earth23
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2005, 03:23 PM

Mail:
After a clean install, open up Mail.app and set up your accounts. Then, go to File>Import and choose Mail for Mac OS X to import from. Locate the folder on your external hard drive where your previous mail messages are and import. This imported all my previous archive email boxes no problem and placed them in a folder titled "Import" in the sidebar. However, if you rename this folder, all the messages disappear. Also, without renaming the folder, all messages disappeared for me randomly after about 4 days.

I can confirm this bug. Any solutions?

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
May 2, 2005, 03:28 PM

Oh and not exactly one but but: FTFF

“Building Better Worlds”

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2005, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by OAW
Yes. I just noticed that. I'm sure Apple is thinking of this as a "feature" instead of a bug. It is a step back in terms of usability IMO. Previously, i could do all my syncing ... to .Mac, Exchange, and my phone ... in one spot like this. Now I have to do it in 2 places. I have no idea why they decided to change this.

OAW
Agreed. Just came up against this. Lame.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2005, 03:50 PM

I bought 10.4 and iLife 05 on the same day. I upgraded to 10.4 first, and played with it for a while, then upgraded to iLife 05. After upgrading the iLife suite, the "send to iPhoto" button is missing from Finder-generated slideshows.

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2005, 04:03 PM

Order of operations applied when you had complete equations, where all steps were noted beforehand.

Where step after step is applied, I expect a calculator to perform them in the order entered UNLESS it is explicitly designated a "scientific" calculator.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2005, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by chris v
Agreed. Just came up against this. Lame.
Oh wait it gets worse. The "sync" menu bar icon is now set in two places. In the .Mac sync system preference ... and in the iSync preferences. This is pretty silly in and of itself. But selecting "Sync Now" from this menu bar icon only performs .Mac syncing now instead of all syncing like it used to. So the question becomes ... WTF is the preference in iSync for if it doesn't initiate the device syncing that iSync is now used for?

Furthermore, syncing contact information to Exchange no longer works at all. I made a change in Address Book and synced. Both .Mac syncing and via iSync. The change simply didn't show up in Exchange (I checked using the Address Book feature of Entourage). And to top it all off, given this new "paradigm" of .Mac syncing and device syncing (iSync) ... just where does syncing contact information with Exchange go?

OAW

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2005, 04:29 PM

Most modern calculators interpret 2+3*3 as 2 + (3*3). Because that's the way it's supposed to be mathematically.
THis is not true.

Only scientific calculators treat it as 2 + (3*3).

Every single cheapo consumer calculator on the market treats it as (2+3)*3, because they don't have a buffer for multiple operations.

Forum Links
Forum Rules