Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Ipod: How can I authorize my computer?

Ipod: How can I authorize my computer?
kevkos
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2012, 12:15 PM

Hi,
I'm having this really annoying problem. I have a new MBP, and I want to synch my ipod. It's synching most songs but a message pops up that says it won't synch 100 songs because my computer is not authorized. Then, I log in and try to authorize my computer, and it says "This computer is already authorized." So it seems to be an endless loop. I called Apple Support and they want to charge me $29 to fix the problem that they created!

Does anyone know what I can do to fix this?

Thanks!

andi*pandi
Feb 27, 2012, 12:38 PM

You have to deauthorize all computers and reauthorize it. You probably went over the 5 computer limit.

iTunes Store: About authorization and deauthorization

kevkos  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2012, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
You have to deauthorize all computers and reauthorize it. You probably went over the 5 computer limit.

iTunes Store: About authorization and deauthorization
THanks, I'll try that but it says I've authorized 3 computers out of 5 max now.

andi*pandi
Feb 27, 2012, 06:02 PM

Did you perhaps get the songs from someone else? Maybe just those songs are up to the 5 computer limit.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 27, 2012, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Did you perhaps get the songs from someone else?
That's it. There is stuff from a different iTunes account than the regular one (you've tried to authorize) that the computer isn't authorized for.

kevkos  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2012, 12:39 AM

Well, I tried deauthorizing all computers and authorizing the one I'm using, and it's still giving me the same dumb message, telling me that my computer needs to be authorized, even though it already is! What else can I do to get the music back that I already purchased? I'm really angry at Apple and their stupid DRM system right now!

kevkos  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2012, 12:41 AM

BTW, these songs that they're not letting me synch are ones that I purchased from the iTunes store.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2012, 05:31 AM

So were Apple. Which is why they eliminated the DRM on music.

Click on one of the songs in question in iTunes, and show information (from the File menu).

In one of the panes, it will show you which account that song is associated with. I'm betting it's NOT the account you've been trying to authorize.

kevkos  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2012, 01:20 AM

I've only had the one account. I can't find what you are talking about. This problem is insane. Apple has driven me to take matters into my own hands....I'm getting the music via other means and not dealing with lame itunes!

andi*pandi
Mar 1, 2012, 11:37 AM

What we're saying, is that 'other means' is perhaps your problem. You have songs in your iTunes from someone else's account, from back when Apple still had DRM.

To simplify Spheric's instructions, start from the 'purchased' folder.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2012, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by kevkos View Post
I've only had the one account. I can't find what you are talking about. This problem is insane. Apple has driven me to take matters into my own hands....I'm getting the music via other means and not dealing with lame itunes!
You have 100 songs it won't synch.

Click on any one of those 100 songs in iTunes, and go into the "File" menu (or right-click on the song) and select "Information".

Under "Summary", it will say "Purchased by:" and a name, and "Account:" and the iTunes Store account that they were bought from. If you are not the person listed under "purchased by" and are unfamiliar with the iTunes Store account, then you do not have a license to own the music.

It USED TO be that when you got DRM-protected material from another iTunes account, you could just click "authorize" and the machine would be authorized to play the music, until the account owner revoked all authorizations because he ran out. That changed, and now it requires an account password.

In return, Apple managed to convince the labels to give up the lame DRM entirely (Apple never wanted it), and all songs purchased within the last three years or so have no such protection at all, and do not require any authorization.

chiguyhere
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2012, 07:19 PM

I have the exact same problem. I've tried everything suggested and can't figure out why all my older music won't sync with itunes on my new computer. Anyone know anything else to try?

Forum Links
Forum Rules