Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Predictions for Powerbook Updates

Predictions for Powerbook Updates
DrDre
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2003, 06:45 PM

So I've finally decided to get a new 12 inch powerbook and an external LCD (20 inch screen). My question to everyone is when do you think the next upgrade on the PB 12 inch is likely to occur? With the introduction of the new G4 iBooks the difference between the top end iBook and 12 inch PB is really not that different in terms of performance. This leads me to believe that the 12 inch Powerbooks will be updated shortly (MacWorld SF?). Since ordering a custom PB seems to take several weeks to a month based on other's experience, it might just make sense to at least wait till the next MacWorld to see if new Powerbooks are coming.

Anyone else have any speculations about when new PBs might arrive?

My Predictions:

17 inch: 2 GHz G4
15 inch: 1.6 Ghz G4
12 inch: 1.4 Ghz G4

Skypat
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2003, 06:53 PM

You're very optimistic

I would see around March

12" : 1,25 Ghz
15" : 1,33 Ghz
17": 1,42 Ghz
S k y p a t

hldan
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2003, 06:53 PM

Originally posted by DrDre:
So I've finally decided to get a new 12 inch powerbook and an external LCD (20 inch screen). My question to everyone is when do you think the next upgrade on the PB 12 inch is likely to occur? With the introduction of the new G4 iBooks the difference between the top end iBook and 12 inch PB is really not that different in terms of performance. This leads me to believe that the 12 inch Powerbooks will be updated shortly (MacWorld SF?). Since ordering a custom PB seems to take several weeks to a month based on other's experience, it might just make sense to at least wait till the next MacWorld to see if new Powerbooks are coming.

Anyone else have any speculations about when new PBs might arrive?

My Predictions:

17 inch: 2 GHz G4
15 inch: 1.6 Ghz G4
12 inch: 1.4 Ghz G4
This is not much help for you but my answer is; "Only time will tell". There's no way to know what Apple will do. Yeah, last year Apple annoyed a few people that bought the 1.0Ghz TiBook in November and then in January here comes the 17".
I would like to see a whole new groundbreaking iPod. I have never owned one and I am ready to buy one but I am not playing stupid, I will wait until January and see what Apple is bringing to Macworld.
I think Apple has spent a lot of time this year on the Powerbooks and iTunes. It's time for something else.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2003, 07:13 PM

I am not so much interested in the typical paltry Mhz boosts that I KNOW will be in the next revisions, but if the 17" does not have a 128 MB ATI It will be like Apple is letting the competition run all over them. Brands like Compaq, Alienware, VoodooPC, Gateway all have the ATI Mobility 9600 128MB on their web sites and I suspect it will be the norm in PC world within 6 months.

hldan
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2003, 08:12 PM

Originally posted by urrl78:
I am not so much interested in the typical paltry Mhz boosts that I KNOW will be in the next revisions, but if the 17" does not have a 128 MB ATI It will be like Apple is letting the competition run all over them. Brands like Compaq, Alienware, VoodooPC, Gateway all have the ATI Mobility 9600 128MB on their web sites and I suspect it will be the norm in PC world within 6 months.
urrl78 you are almost right. However Apple is doing quite well as far as putting in updated graphics cards with plenty of memory. I would like to add that Sony is the worst when it comes to graphics in all of their laptops. Sony's top of the line Z1 laptop for $2999.99 has the ATI mobility Radeon with 16MB Ram.
Absurd for that much money.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...ntentItemPage=
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

slider
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2003, 02:03 AM

No way are they going to upgrade PowerBooks by January. I think Apple might be in a little bit of a bind with the PowerBooks, were do they go in the immediate future? Is the 1.33 in the 17" really a chip Moto is puting out, or did they do some over clocking. I bet we don't see anything until summer at the earliest. Time will tell. I'd like to see a G5 iMac Al, that would be sweet. You know Apple is trying to figure out the next PowerBook, but I think they will need more than a couple of months.

ngrundy
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2003, 02:52 AM

My predictions are as follows

- Apple will at some point in the future update the powerbook range
- consumers will complain that they are too slow in releasing this update
- consumers will complain about heat and fan noise
- others will rebut these complaints
- consumers will sell 3 month old hardware just to get the new shiny edition
- others will still hold onto their pismos like grim death and add another 400 dollar cpu upgrade to it while still trying to forget the video chipset continues to suck in this day and age
- i will continue to be a sarcastic cynic.
1Ghz Powerbook
40gb/1x512mb/combo/T68i
FireRAID 1 Host Independant Hotswap RAID 1 (80gb)

beachmark
Forum Regular
Nov 10, 2003, 12:14 AM

He guys,

Please let us stop with the speed race. The other day I met an Apple exec and we spoke about processor speed and such. In the end we came to the conclusion that with more than 90 per cent ofthe owners the processor is doing as good as nothing for about 23 hours per day.

There is only a very small group of users for who a higher processor speed would be of use. Forthem there are perfect desktop computers.

So lets stop talking about processor speed but move into the important other parts as heat and screen density as such.

I got a 17incher and very happy with what it can do for me and i edit video on it. I do not mind that it does take a minute longer to process. That gives me time togo to the bathroom and pick up a diet ginger ale.
g.r.e.e.t.i.n.g.s
mark ®
hanging out in san francisco - wellington - cape town (or in between)
Powerbook 17 inch MacOS 10.4.3Eng • Palm E2 • Motorola Razr • iPod Flash 1Gb • iPod mini 2nd-4Gb

jonasmac
Senior User
Location: Guam - where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
Nov 10, 2003, 12:39 AM

Originally posted by beachmark
That gives me time togo to the bathroom and pick up a diet ginger ale.
You keep diet ginger ale in your bathroom?

--jonas
If I didn't say it, someone else definitely would have.

laserjock
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2003, 01:30 AM

I say that they might take advantage of the new moto chips in the next release:
1) take the memory bus up to 200MHz
2) add back the L3 cache
3) slight speed bump
4) HOPEFULLY offer the 7k60 7200rpm drive as a bto option

my $.02

Podolsky
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 10, 2003, 07:48 PM

Originally posted by laserjock:
I say that they might take advantage of the new moto chips in the next release:
1) take the memory bus up to 200MHz
2) add back the L3 cache
3) slight speed bump
4) HOPEFULLY offer the 7k60 7200rpm drive as a bto option

my $.02
Short, sweet, useful, doable comment. I agree with this but I think something is missing to round it out and be really worthy of an update - for example - dual processsor 17"! It will happen! it is a matter of when not if.

jendmb34
Nov 10, 2003, 09:09 PM

i'm a wanna-be switcher. i don't need a laptop right away, but am incredibly excited about the possibility of getting a 15" powerbook with superdrive.

few questions...
do i wait until january to see if there are any updates?
do i wait at least into december to see if they have holiday deals (does apple do this?)
do i wait to see if apple solves the white spot problem?

since i got the mac idea into my head about 2 weeks ago, i have been to the apple store twice and comp usa once. i'm obsessed. i've been reading messageboards, reviews, anything mac i can get my eyes on. that being said, i could wait it out a bit longer. i start grad school part time in january, but a laptop isn't essential.

one more non-related question... is it best to get the computer from apple.com, an apple store, or macmall or something? apple.com and the apple store offer educational discounts so that's enticing. but macmall seems to have deals as well. i have read macmall horror stories though.

sweatervest
Forum Regular
Nov 10, 2003, 10:39 PM

I'm thinking about waiting until January but I really doubt there will be another update to the Powerbooks. My guess is the update will come a few weeks after I send in my order for a 12".

So I guess I'll get one sooner rather then later, and get a MacSkin so I can sell it for more when one I can't resist comes out.

The resale value of Macs is incredible. I sold my old PowerMac for $600, and I was giving the guy a bargain. So much better then having it take up the whole desk...

I think there will either be a G5 iMac or a new iPod with a color screen that can play video. Or both. Or neither. I'm a terrible psychic.

nagromme
Senior User
Nov 10, 2003, 11:28 PM

I want a 15" and I don't think there will be updates as soon as Jan. But I'm still waiting on two issues:

1) Follow-up rumors on screen issues (the "white spots" caused by defective supports inside the screen). Supposedly 1 in 250 has the problem--not too bad if I'm feeling lucky! But even better to buy AFTER the issue is laid to rest. Plus the ones I saw at the store had a slight (only if you looked close) warp to the lid: down in the middle, higher at the sides. No biggie, but take those two factors (related maybe?) together and I'd rather buy a little later on.

2) Yes, I think holiday deals of some kind are likely. Buy a Mac, get something else cheap/free. May as well find out what! If not, there are already free RAM/case deals from catalogs, and Amazon has $100 off PowerBooks. But it would be cool to get those deals PLUS some extra Apple rebate.
nagromme

Forum Links
Forum Rules