Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > my PB1400C

my PB1400C
Big_P
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2003, 04:24 PM

Hi! Up for sale I have a Great Powerbook 1400c. It is the best and fastest Powerbook out of the 1400 series. It has an Active Matrix screen (Which was new technology then. Most other screens were dual-scan passive screens.) Active matrix screens provide a much sharper picture, and are easier on your eyes. It has a 166mhz powerPC 603e processor. It also has a TWO gigabyte hard drive, and is currently running OS 7.5 (upgradable to 9.0!) A 33.6kbps PCMCIA (PC card modem) is included. Also, it has a sleep-swappable ZIP drive, CD drive, and Floppy drive. I have been using an external CD rom drive, because the internal one has been acting up lately. I will include that in the auction. I have the manual for this powerbook, as well as the original CD-ROM that came with it. I found a SCSI webcam that I will include. The battery lasts about an hour and a half. 32MB of RAM is included (upgradable to 64mb). All keys on the keyboard function perfectly. The 1400c has two PCMCIA slots, for a modem (which is included as I have said earlier), an ethernet card, even wireless internet.

If you have any questions feel free to e-mail me! Or, email me with an offer! Thanks !

Pete
War is not dying for your country, its making them die for theirs!

iMacfan
Senior User
Dec 7, 2003, 08:47 PM

A great computer in its day - I still say that its the best keyboard ever on a laptop!

Big_P  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2003, 10:46 PM

no doubt! easy access to expansion, I might add.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2003, 08:49 AM

Hmm, this probably belongs in the marketplace. And you might want to list a price too.

That said, this is a nice machine! I have one myself. It's a passive matrix 133 MHz version, so the screen isn't as good, but I still really like it. Maybe eventually it'll get a G3 upgrade and an active matrix screen, but for now it's great for what I use it for, just typing when I'm away from home.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 8, 2003, 03:54 PM

$200??
Trying taking $75-100 off that price and you might have some people looking to take it off your hands.

Big_P  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2003, 08:55 PM

one just sold on eBay for more than that :-D

ngrundy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 8, 2003, 10:33 PM

yeah and ebay is full of idiots that pay too much for stuff.

Seriously shouldn't something that old be sent to the Smithsonian. Or used as a paperweight.
1Ghz Powerbook
40gb/1x512mb/combo/T68i
FireRAID 1 Host Independant Hotswap RAID 1 (80gb)

Big_P  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2003, 07:49 AM

Thanks.......

now stay away from my post

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 9, 2003, 11:01 AM

Then you will have to sell it on eBay if you want that price range. The 1400 is a good laptop but it is not WORTH what you are asking. There are too many informed consumers here for you to get that price.

You see those prices on eBay because a lot of people do not know the value of the things they are buying. If you want to take advantage of that to get more money no one here will stop you. But to begin with your CD drive is broken, it has insufficient RAM, it comes with an outdated OS (not even 8.6) and it has no extras. So no, it is not valued anywhere in the neighborhood you are asking. So comparing it to a price that is not market value around here coupled with the fact that your item is not in the same condition to the high priced one on eBay is not really a convincing argument. A first generation G3 iBooks is about $300 and $200 is more inline with a 3400c.

bgordon
Dec 9, 2003, 11:08 AM

I disagree. I don't think people go onto eBay searching for a "1400 CS" by accident. First of all, it's a Mac machine, so there go the Windows people, and second of all, it's eBay, so you have to be semi-computer-literate to even figure out how to get there....I think there's a reason why the 1400CS gets that much, and I think the guy should be able to post it for such in here (within guidelines, of course.) FWIW, I just sold my circa-2000 iBook SE 366 for $370 on eBay, and it looks like clamshell prices are hovering back around $400 now.

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 9, 2003, 02:01 PM

Yeah, a 366Mhz SE would get 370, which is in line with what I said about first gen iBooks (300Mhz) going for $300.
And I really think you give too much credit to all people who use Macs being aware of the real value of used Macs. Look at prices at http://shop.poweron.com/ Would you pay $200 for a beige G3? My guess is no. But there must be market of buyers who will and are not aware that one could purchase a B/W G3 for the same amount. Maybe the store certification may add some value but around these forums I doubt that would add an additional $100 in value on an already used computer.

People look at prices posted on places like low end Mac and go by those prices where they are not updated very often and assume that they are a good indicator for value. A G3 upgraded 1400 may be worth the $200 but not this one with the flaws and limited RAM. I didn't say he can't get his asking price, I said it won't be from people who are here on MacNN regularly.

I can post any comment I want in here about his price just like you can. The marketplace forum goes by another set of rules but in here it is fair game. And if you note there aren't a flood of responses to his asking price which should tell you something.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2003, 08:48 AM

So dude
why didn't you post this in the marketplace forum which setup for people to buy/sell not the troubleshooting and discussion forum.

You don't seem to be getting any nibbles and the people who have posted recommend that you lower the price.

Mike

Forum Links
Forum Rules