Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Port replicators?

Port replicators?
hostvisions
Jan 9, 2004, 09:40 AM

Hi All,

I'm going to be buying a 15 or 17" PB here shortly, and was wondering if there are any good port replicators out there so that I can hook up an external cinema display, ethernet, and a couple of USB devices? I just don't want to have to plug everything into the back of it when I'm at home.

Thanks.

Minty Fresh
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2004, 12:06 PM

Good question...I've been wondering the same thing.

Edit - I did find these, not sure how good they are...but look okay. A little on the expensive side though. Doesn't look like they have one for the new 15" AlBook's...most likely because of the ports being changed to the sides.

http://www.technowarehousellc.com/powdocstat.html
( Last edited by Minty Fresh; Jan 9, 2004 at 12:12 PM. )

selowitch
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2004, 12:30 PM

A lot of people use these: http://www.bookendzdocks.com/bookendz.

Minty Fresh
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2004, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by selowitch:
A lot of people use these: http://www.bookendzdocks.com/bookendz.
That's what I linked to...hehe...but this is their official site...NICE...looks like they have one in the works for the 15" AlBook's afterall!

hostvisions  (op)
Jan 9, 2004, 12:41 PM

Thank you. I'm very surprised to find that replicators aren't very common for the powerbook line. As popular as they are I would have thought someone would have launched a nice dock or replicator.

Macola
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2004, 01:58 PM

I used a BookEndz dock for my Ti 400 and honestly, it wasn't worth the expense ($250). You have to line it up just right and spend a lot of time futzing with it to get it to work right, otherwise it doesn't make a good connection on ports like Firewire, which have really sensitive connectors.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

selowitch
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2004, 02:13 PM

Originally posted by Macola:
I used a BookEndz dock for my Ti 400 and honestly, it wasn't worth the expense ($250). You have to line it up just right and spend a lot of time futzing with it to get it to work right, otherwise it doesn't make a good connection on ports like Firewire, which have really sensitive connectors.
That's too bad, esp. for folks who switch from using their PBs on the road to using them with an external monitor. Lots of stress on the DVI or VGA ports.

I wonder if it's possible to buy new ports when those wear out and replace them without a lengthy or expensive stay at AppleCare?

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2004, 02:58 PM

I don't get it. Even if you use a replicator you're still plugging and unplugging from the Powerbook. So the wear and tear is the same either way.

I think there are two main reasons these devices aren't used much on Macs:

1) Apple puts the ports on the sides where they are easy to reach, and

2) The replicators are expensive. If you're concerned about wear and tear, you spend almost as much on the replicator as you would for Applecare.

Chris

selowitch
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2004, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by chabig:
Even if you use a replicator you're still plugging and unplugging from the Powerbook. So the wear and tear is the same either way.
Perhaps so, perhaps not. I don't know. I would have thought they would design the port replicators to perform the hookup more smoothly and less roughly than we are apt to do in the absence of a replicator, but I could easily be wrong.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2004, 03:34 PM

Random idea I had the other day. Most of Apple's high end desktops have been dual processor for a while, why not offer that possibility in a laptop? Well, shoving two CPUs inside a laptop chassis is asking for trouble.

So, come up with an alternative. Put a docking connector on the bottom of the Powerbooks similar to some PC laptops, and allow the Powerbook to sit ontop of a dock that not only contains all the ports, but also a second processor and possibly a second IDE channel to allow more storage.

This will turn the Powerbook into a computer that could really be close to the peformance of the PowerMac for those willing to pay for the ultimate computer and laptop.

In any case, Apple does really need an official docking solution for their professional laptops.
<This space under renovation>

Macola
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2004, 04:58 PM

Originally posted by chabig:
I don't get it. Even if you use a replicator you're still plugging and unplugging from the Powerbook. So the wear and tear is the same either way.
Absolutely. The "wear and tear" argument is used a lot to promote the use of docks, but it really doesn't make any sense. If anything, you incur more wear and tear (and possibly permanent damage) because of the considerable force required to dock your PowerBook correctly.

Edit: My experience is based only on docks for older PowerBooks (rear ports). The ones for ports on the side could be different.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2004, 08:22 PM

If anything, you incur more wear and tear (and possibly permanent damage) because of the considerable force required to dock your PowerBook correctly.
Yes. And you're plugging into EVERY port EVERY time you dock and undock. With simple cables, you may only plug in a few ports at a time.

Chris

Kami
Jan 9, 2004, 09:19 PM

I hate plugging and unplugging the cables from my laptop.

The missing element on Powerbooks is a single in-line connector that many PC notebooks (Dell 600, Sony V505) have either on the bottom or at the back where the other ports are located.

We had a fantastic Mac docking example a few years ago... the many versions of the Duo's and their assorted Docks.

ngrundy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 10, 2004, 01:48 AM

I take my laptop on/off my desk twice a day and connnecting/disconnecting cables isn't that big a deal.

I have power, speakers, 1xusb which goes to my keyboard, my MS Natural has a USB hub in the back that has my mouse and BT adaptor in it and i use wireless for networking.

If you have an ACD then you've got 2 usb ports in the back of your LCD, plug the keyboard and mouse in there. You're down to Monitor, USB, sound and power then, all of which can be plugged in and removed in seconds.
1Ghz Powerbook
40gb/1x512mb/combo/T68i
FireRAID 1 Host Independant Hotswap RAID 1 (80gb)

Forum Links
Forum Rules