Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Microsoft on Longhorn: We didn't copy Tiger

Microsoft on Longhorn: We didn't copy Tiger
Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Apr 5, 2005, 09:02 AM

Microsoft dismisses Apple threat
With Apple's own next-gen OS, Tiger, widely expected to debut this month � almost a year before Longhorn's scheduled release � Apple execs have hinted they expect to be copycatted by Redmond rival.

Crossley said she expected technological crossovers but denied they would be deliberate.

"We do a load of research into what people want and funnily enough so does Apple � it's not hard to work it out... Will I be surprised if there are similarities? No."
In truth, I think both Apple and Microsoft copy each other to a certain extent these days, but Apple is the bigger UI innovator.

AppleOptionFour
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 5, 2005, 11:06 AM

It's a rationale that Microsoft has already put into effect when it recently announced the news that IE7 will debut before Longhorn.
YES! I can't wait for IE7. I hear its going gold master soon and has an intro movie also. Anyone got that link?

JohnSmithXTREME
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 5, 2005, 11:10 AM

"Funnily" is such an awful word.

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2005, 11:19 AM

"We're not happy about losing any market share," Crossley said. "We worry less about 'losing share' and more about what else we can get into... we want to do it all."
And that's the problem, in my opinion. They want to do so much that they do it all half-assed instead of concentrating on a few products and doing them well.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2005, 11:59 AM

Microsoft's idea of researching what people want? An ADC membership

Why do you think they have the Mac BU... it's not to make Mac software that's just the guise... it's really to make sure they can have a copy of OS X without anyone getting suspicious...

Forum Links
Forum Rules