Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Anyone running Tiger on a 64-bit machine?

Anyone running Tiger on a 64-bit machine?
CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 24, 2009, 03:21 PM

Hey all, I can't seem to find any solid information on something on the Internet, so I thought I'd ask for volunteers. Does anyone have a 64-bit machine (either a G5 or a Core 2 Duo) that's still running OS X 10.4.x? If so, could you run this app, and tell me what it says when you launch it?

edit: Thanks guys, my question is answered, no need for the test anymore.

If it doesn't run, please send me the Console log from when you try to launch it.

Basically, I'm trying to find out whether it's possible to make a 64-bit universal binary application that will still work on Tiger. By default, Xcode makes you target 10.5 if you are building for 64-bit, but that can be worked around via per-architecture settings. However, since Tiger does have the capability to run 64-bit binaries, just not Cocoa or other frameworks that would make this functionality actually useful, I am unsure whether it will be smart enough to load the 32-bit binary when launching an application, or whether it will try to load the 64-bit binary and fail due to the missing frameworks. I can't seem to find any information on the Internet about this, and unfortunately I don't have any 64-bit machines that can run Tiger anymore to test this myself (I used to have an iMac G5, but I gave it away). Therefore, I'm wondering if anyone who does have such a machine could give this a try, and let me know the results. Thanks!
( Last edited by CharlesS; Jul 24, 2009 at 05:31 PM. )

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2009, 03:34 PM

Dialog box: "test sizeof long is 4" with OK button.
Blank window.

10.4.11 on a Mac Pro.

If that was a trojan/keylogger/etc I will hunt you down and remove your testicles. With a spoon.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

reader50
Administrator
Jul 24, 2009, 05:27 PM

Same as Doofy.
test
sizeof long is 4
[ OK ]
note: above dialog has a generic app icon on left

+ a blank window titled "Window"

Quit command is disabled. Clicking [OK] causes the app to exit normally. No entries in the console log.

10.4.11 on a Quad G5

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 24, 2009, 05:30 PM

Thanks, guys! That's all I needed. Apparently Tiger is smart enough to load the 32-bit portion of a 64-bit quad binary on both Intel and PPC 64-bit, which is great because it will allow me to make a 64-bit version of Pacifist sometime in the indeterminate future without having to drop Tiger support. Thanks!

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules