Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > rescued items

rescued items
robbm
Apr 19, 1999, 12:01 PM

I have three Mac's here at work that just about everytime I start them up they have "rescued items" folders in the trash. The files are small but I am sending one of these CPU's out as a kiosk and eventually the drive is going to fill up. These machines are shut down properly. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?

poliwog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 1999, 07:46 PM

Hi!
These dratted things are almost always temporary files (e.g. browser caches, temp Photoshop files) that are loaded in memory at the time the machine crashes. Normally, they will be cleared on reboot, but if the machine has crashed, the proper flag is not in place at restart, and so the poor OS tries to help you out by "rescuing" these files.

You, however, indicate that your machines have not crashed when this occurs. Try to findout which app has left these droppings behind (try a "Get Info") and be sure it is operating correctly. If this doesn't help, you could always write an AppleScript to empty the Trash on startup. That should keep the little devils from clogging the works.
Les

Forum Links
Forum Rules