Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > late 2013 iMac and FTTH internet.

late 2013 iMac and FTTH internet.
Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2018, 07:50 AM

I had CenturyLink FTTH 1 GB installed on Monday (01/15). My brother had it installed ayt my mom's house in November I had bought a Netgear AC1750 (R6400V2) gigabit WIFI router to use after the tech set up the connection because the WIFI on the C2100Z from CL was crappy. It turns out he showed uo to the job without one CL's gigabit routers on his truck. I entered my credentials and it connected as it should. The only this is I'm not getting the >900MB up/down I should being connected with cat5e. (400MB down, 500MB up) This is also the case on the iMac connected at my mom's. In my case it may the Netgear router. but does not explain why the iMac (mid 2007) is not getting the spreed I would expect being connected by ethernet. any ideas as to why? my brother's Windows 10 machine is getting 950MB up/down by cat5e

I went to the CL website and it shows I'm stilled being charged the router rental. I'm going to go to the CL store and pick up the C2100Z and see if that helps with the speed issue. I can deal with the crappy WIFI on my iPad and 6S, I'll take the Netgear bat to bestbuy and my money back, although I may try DD-WRT firmware first.
( Last edited by Chongo; Jan 19, 2018 at 01:49 PM. )
45/47

Chongo  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2018, 07:23 AM

I called the CL store and they did not have any routers on hand and was told to call tech support. CL is overnight shipping a C1100Z. 802.11N WIFI!? I'll find out what's up when I get home from work this evening.
45/47

andi*pandi
Jan 19, 2018, 12:38 PM

good luck!

Chongo  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2018, 01:52 PM

The router was never sent. I have to get ahold of the tech who did the install. The CSR I spoke to said it was shipped on the truck for the install. It is the C1100Z. That sucks becuase it is 2.4Ghz 802.11N wifi.
45/47

Chongo  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2018, 08:39 PM

I called customer service and they informed me a router was never sent because it shows one was supposed to be on the truck. I called the Tech supervisor. She sent out a tech who brought me a Technicolor C2100. Upload is now screaming at >900MB. The down load has improved to 500MB. The iPhone 6S+ is cray fast at 400 up and down. What do I need to change in the ethernet hardware settings that can improve the DL speed, or do I need to get a Thunderbolt ethernet adapter?

I know, first world problems....
45/47

Chongo  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2018, 06:16 PM

My iMac must not like the new Speedtest.net test

http://speedtest.xfinity.com/results/JCNWNHO3WLZHGCZ
DOWNLOAD SPEED
Ping of 25 using IPV6
851.20 Mbps
UPLOAD SPEED
817.70 Mbps
QTS data

CenturyLink
( Last edited by Chongo; Feb 13, 2018 at 12:36 AM. )
45/47

Chongo  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2018, 07:17 PM

In a related question, do in need AVB/EAV mode on my iMac? A google search finds this is for MIDI devices. It was enabled when I looked under advanced when I was trouble shooting the download speed issue. I am guessing no.
45/47

Chongo  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2018, 12:36 AM

yep, like the old school test better.

Still, it would be nice to know why the new test download results are half the old test.
45/47

Forum Links
Forum Rules