Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > iPhone is doomed! NVIDIA next-generation mobile phone interface. Very cool.

iPhone is doomed! NVIDIA next-generation mobile phone interface. Very cool.
Spliff
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2007, 10:52 PM

Nvidia mobile phone interface

Lots of flashy effects. Might give the iPhone GUI a run for its money.

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2007, 11:18 PM

Wow. I can watch three videos all at once, morph them around, and watch a stock ticker -- all at the same time?!

This is not unlike the difference between Compiz/Beryl and OS X's effects. One enhances the user experience, the other is all about flashy graphics for the sake of flashy graphics.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Feb 19, 2007, 12:16 AM

Cool... sure, but it's all about content and integration in my book. The iPhone is only mildly appealing as a stand alone phone. What makes it VERY interesting to me is the iTunes integration.

Also, it looks confusing...

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2007, 12:34 AM

Yeah, interesting. Call me when they actually have a phone to ship.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2007, 12:49 AM

I think it is actually much more confusing and less elegant.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Feb 19, 2007, 12:55 AM

Oh, it's just a prototype. They aren't really planning on actually producing it. It's not even a real UI, they are just showing off the power of their processor. Nothing more than a screensaver basically.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 19, 2007, 01:08 AM

It looks really cool but it might take a while to learn how to use it unlike the iPhone's UI.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 19, 2007, 01:16 AM

Features+Crappy UI+Fast GPU = Crap no matter how cool the effects are or how many features you cram into it.

When will technology companies besides Apple get it through their skulls that the KISS principle is essential. Once you have your device working really well, then you add features when they are viable.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2007, 01:27 AM

Wow, if only we had batteries that would be able to power such a phone for more than five minutes.

iPhone will do well because its made by Apple.

I like how we've moved from "Apple is Doomed" to "iPhone is Doomed" threads. Let the Domination begin!

Spliff  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2007, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
Wow, if only we had batteries that would be able to power such a phone for more than five minutes.

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2007, 01:49 AM

does it make calls?

kcmac
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2007, 02:15 AM

That's just a video within a video. hahaha

MM-o4
Senior User
Feb 19, 2007, 02:22 AM

meh, needs work. but good start.

-MM-

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2007, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by Spliff View Post
You'd think something titled "Asia Silver" would be small and compact.

That or Asia refers to it being the biggest on the market.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2007, 02:40 AM

I'm waiting for the ZunePhone.

Sealobo
Feb 19, 2007, 03:58 AM

very nice... but only when they show this on a huge plasma TV. too busy for a small LCD screen.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2007, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Tomchu View Post
This is not unlike the difference between Compiz/Beryl and OS X's effects. One enhances the user experience, the other is all about flashy graphics for the sake of flashy graphics.
Not exactly...the Dock is pretty dang flashy, and could have been done just as functionally without the flashiness. The rotating cube with fast user switching is also completely unnecessary for functionality...same thing with "document sheets" that pop out all pretty from the title bars. Expose was implemented in a flashy way. Hell, Spaces and Time Machine are nothing but existing technologies made to look super pretty for Leopard.

"Enhancing the user experience" means adding "flashy graphics". The whole point of flashy graphics and sexy animations is to make the user experience as entertaining and aesthetically pleasing as possible. Beryl and OS X do just that, and both for essentially the same purpose.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2007, 10:31 AM

Not all animation is "flashy". Exposé is an example of completely unflashy use of animation. It's a simple size transition and a fade of the background. It couldn't be simpler. Time Machine on the other hand... I hope the last word on the implementation of that feature is not yet spoken.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 19, 2007, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Not exactly...the Dock is pretty dang flashy, and could have been done just as functionally without the flashiness. The rotating cube with fast user switching is also completely unnecessary for functionality...same thing with "document sheets" that pop out all pretty from the title bars. Expose was implemented in a flashy way. Hell, Spaces and Time Machine are nothing but existing technologies made to look super pretty for Leopard.
Actually, Apple's gift is to make these things practical for your dad to use.

An awful lot of people simply shy away from the learning curve for something as "simple" (to you) as a backup software. There's a lot of abstraction involved in the concept of a "filesystem", let alone the duplication of such.

The beauty of Time Machine, at least in that very rough preliminary demo, is that it works completely transparently around the situation the user is in. No other developer comes close to that kind of "user-centricity", and that holds for most of Apple's stuff.

It's only a useful (albeit necessary for many) aspect that what they do also tends to look *good* - that serves to make functionality less daunting for the average user.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Feb 19, 2007, 12:02 PM

My main problem is content. Yes, it's great to have the "wow" factor of a cool GUI, but there isn't an NVIDIA iTunes equivalent... and no NVIDIA iTunes store equivalent.

Without content, it's just another great piece of technology without anything to show off...

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2007, 12:40 PM

I normally like fancy GUI's but when I had my top of the line Sony M600 with the Symbian OS I ended up quickly hating it because the GUI was so over-complicated and SLOOOOOOW.

I got my Blackberry Pearl thinking I would hate the overly simple OS but I loved it right from the start as it is so so simple, fast as hell and easy to use.

I think the iPhone is a perfect balance of sexy and simple from what I have seen so far.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 19, 2007, 12:43 PM

The only problem with the NVIDIA phone is that it's NVIDIA.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2007, 12:51 PM

That display is HUGE! How am I supposed to carry it around? On my back?

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2007, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by chabig View Post
That display is HUGE! How am I supposed to carry it around? On my back?
Its actually a laptop that uses Skype. Nvidia just has to figure out a way to make it 500% smaller.

PER3
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 19, 2007, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Face Ache View Post
I'm waiting for the ZunePhone.
I think you mean the "Phune"...

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Feb 20, 2007, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post

"Enhancing the user experience" means adding "flashy graphics". The whole point of flashy graphics and sexy animations is to make the user experience as entertaining and aesthetically pleasing as possible. Beryl and OS X do just that, and both for essentially the same purpose.
Alright. You have no idea what you are talking about. So uncle Erik here is going to set you straight.

ALL animation (save for the Widget-ripple) in OS X is function first, then form:

Rotating cube - A very clever illustration of changing users. Conceptually this is brilliant (until you have more than four simultaneous users running at the same time, which rarely happens for most users). Each user has a different "face" on a cube. Humans are visually oriented and this makes for a very good effect

Document sheets - This I thought was absolutely brilliant back when 10.0 was released. Finally a visual way of connecting save dialogs to the document that it saves. It gives "ownership" to a dialog in very visual way.

Dock animations -
1) Application wants attention: Bounce. Much less intrusive than taking control over what you were doing to display a dialog.

2) Application starting: Bounce. Should have been differentiated more from the attention-grabbing (many vendors realise this and lets you change it to a dock-badge or similar), but it still lets you know that something is happening even if the App does not show any sign of starting.

3) Minimising - shows you were your minimised window goes. Very simple and clever.

Exposé - Has been covered. It doesn't even look flash, just functionality to the extreme. If you want flash without function, gander at Flip3D over in the Vista-camp.

In OS X, Human Computer Interaction comes first. There is real thought into the usability behind what you think of as flash. It looking good is merely a side-effect of the capabilities of Quartz.

Now go read some Nielsen or Donald

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2007, 04:39 AM

Nice points Erik, but how do you explain Time Machine, it seems a bit tacky to me.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Feb 20, 2007, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
Nice points Erik, but how do you explain Time Machine, it seems a bit tacky to me.
Notice I didn't.

Forum Links
Forum Rules