Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > When is a used G5 price gonna plummet?

When is a used G5 price gonna plummet?
angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2007, 12:17 PM

Just guessing so far… with all the intel hardware kicking butts one wonders about how low can a last generation dual core G5 Power Mac price go, your guess?

Since we are guessing here, mac2sell says a dual 2.3 GHz is worth…

no way you can find something like that out there, huh?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 13, 2007, 12:33 PM

G5s rule.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2007, 01:10 PM

Not sure if it can be a guide or not..

1. Your Computer is a
Power Macintosh dual G4 1.25 GHz 2048/320 GB/superdrive
The Mac2Sell Quoted Value of your computer is : $ 770

actually, I have more stuff in that dual G4.

2. Your Computer is a
Power Macintosh dual G5 2.00 GHz 2560/500 GB/superdrive
The Mac2Sell Quoted Value of your computer is : $ 1,030

same story, where's the GPU option?

3. Your Computer is a
iBook 12 inch G4 1.33 GHz 1536/40 GB/combo
The Mac2Sell Quoted Value of your computer is : $ 460

meehhh

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2007, 05:32 PM

My G5 is worth $950.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

Bwa
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 14, 2007, 09:23 AM

I sold my dual 2.0 GHz (not dual-core) G5 two or three months ago with 3 GB of RAM (max 4 GB), 160 GB hard disk for $900. I just wanted to get rid of it; I felt I could get more if I was patient, but it was just sitting around collecting dust.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2007, 11:59 PM

Check craigslist regularly. Deals pop up now and then. Pretty much, a Rev. A dual 1.8 is still worth an even grand, and a rev A. single 1.6 seems to be going in the 7-800.00 range.

They're still quite functional machines -- the main obsolete technology is the PCI and AGP slots. The last rev of G5's won't be obsoleted for a good while. A quad 2.5 packs quite a punch.
( Last edited by chris v; Dec 16, 2007 at 01:35 PM. )

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

angelmb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2007, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by chris v View Post
The last rev of G5's won't be obsoleted for a good while. A quad 2.5 packs quite a punch.
Exactly, and they for sure got fixed any issue previous ones could have had, very much like the reason I have a MDD G4, no issues at all and still fast enough to serve my 2D world…

medicman55
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2007, 10:27 PM

I'm looking forward to G5 prices to drop. As much as I love my G4, it just doesn't have as much power as I'd like.

I also like the brushed steel look of the G5's too.

boston_errol
Dec 16, 2007, 01:54 AM

I'd love to sell my dualcore PCI-Express G5 2.0 with 8gb of RAM but unless I unload it on ebay, people don't want to pay the premium since they can get an iMac. Most people don't need that much RAM or PCI-E slots.

angelmb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2007, 06:35 AM

At slightly over 1100€ your dual core G5 would sell really easy in this side of the pool, it doesn't matter if one could get an iMac for the same money, you aren't going to be able to place 8 GB RAM inside an iMac ever, neither to use a 30 inches display, that's the line between a true Pro set-up and a real absurdly powerful everyday set-up… sure for most people an iMac is good enough, you just have to find someone than really need such a computer. Meh, I wish I was there in Boston… not only to get such a computer but also to check out how the Cs rule the NBA this present year haha.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 16, 2007, 12:18 PM

Mac prices have never plummeted, with any architectural switch. Even when PowerPC swept through the Mac line initially, 68k power houses like the Quadra 840av held their value astoundingly well, only going through slow, steady drops in value that you would expect from any aging piece of technology.

If there's ever a plummet in the value of anything, almost without exception, it's always seen immediately after it is replaced by something else. Seeing the G5s continue to hold their value this well so long after the switch means you will never see any significant drop in price except the one that simply comes with time.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2007, 04:27 PM

Part of the reason G5 prices are still high, and part of the reason I haven't replaced mine yet, is they're still perfectly capable machines. For day-to-day stuff--mail, web, iPhoto, etc.--my Single 1.8 G5 doesn't feel any slower than the dual- and quad-core Xeons I use at work. Now, if I was doing really heavy Photoshop lifting or playing a demanding game I'm sure I'd notice the difference, but the combo of 10.5 plus a lot of RAM and a good video card makes this machine feel faster than it's ever felt before and just about as fast as Apple's new hardware.

I can see this machine easily lasting another two years, which is great for a machine which was discontinued in June of 2005.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

Copywriter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2007, 11:59 PM

I've been using a PowerBook G4 for some time and it's worked great. Heck, I even played a few games on it. And I use PS, DW, and many other programs.

Recently, I bought a dual (not dual core) 2 ghz G5 PowerMac with 4 gigs of ram on eBay for $700.

I think the prices can only go so low. We're talking about a Mac here.

And yes, they are still great machines. The fact that I can run PS (CS2) on a G4 laptop with 1g of ram and not pull my hair out tells you something.

BurpetheadX
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2007, 10:39 PM

How have prices not plummeted? My G5 is barely worth $900 and I paid $2100 for it 1.5 years ago. What other Macs lose their value like that?

Now I'm in a bind because I usually sell my old computer to pay towards a new one, but with my G5 only being worth circa $900, and a new Mac Pro costing $2100, that won't happen anytime soon.

Stuck on PowerPC for years to come now (I'm just a student). While my G5 runs everything as fast as an Intel, is certainly a beast and a pleasure to use; it still only has two hard drive bays, PCI-X which NOBODY supports, and can't virtualize Windows.

I have a 250GB drive sitting on my desk being worthless because My G5's all filled up with *gasp* TWO hard drives. I already have one external, and don't want another.

Really, the biggest issue is not being able to virtualize Windows. I'm a business major and everything is Windows. To the school labs I go!
www.marcushesse.com

UNC-Charlotte Apple Campus Rep.

Forum Links
Forum Rules