Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > buy MBP pro now or wait for the totally new redesigned one?

buy MBP pro now or wait for the totally new redesigned one?
nycdunz
Senior User
Mar 30, 2008, 06:12 PM

I have a 1st generation 17" pbook (1Ghz). Its been showing its age. I think its time for me to get a new one. I'm a graphic designer and hobbyist photographer. And Aperture won't install on this machine.

I been waiting and waiting for a totally new redesigned MBP to come out for the past year or so. I don't know if i should just take a chance and go ahead and buy a new mbp now or wait a little longer hoping that there will be a totally redesigned MBP?

Also do you guys think there would be a major noticeable difference in speed/performance from the new MBP and from my old 1st generation powerbook? I am curious as to know whether or not how much of a difference i will see.

I would appreciate all your input and advice...

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 30, 2008, 06:33 PM

Do you think any MBP redesign is going to be dramatic/omg-must-have? I don't.

Yes, the current MBPs are a huge step up from your PowerBook for pro/sumer graphics use.

Buy a refurb (~$1500 for 15", ~$2200 for 17") and 4GB RAM from a third party ($70ish).

jasonscott71
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2008, 03:38 AM

I agree on both counts--the new MBP (I bought one with the last update Feb 26) is a big, big step up from 1st gen 17" PB. And agreed that the new redesign, whenever it comes, will not be a massive must-have, or necessarily better.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2008, 04:27 AM

There are some things that a redesigned MBP could get that would be significant improvements - for example, eSATA ports, a user-accessible hard drive like in the MacBook, or a magnetic latch like in the MacBook. Of course, there's no guarantee that the redesigned MacBook will actually have any of these things, so it's a judgment call.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

jasonscott71
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2008, 04:33 AM

Yeah, if I had an eSATA port I'd be in total happy land.

naphtali
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 31, 2008, 05:13 AM

There's a lot of talk about a refresh coming in about June that will use a new chipset. That's supposed to give us better performance and greater battery life. I'm trying to hold out as long as I can too, though my 17" G4 is crumbling fast

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2008, 07:23 AM

While I agree that improvements in the design could be made, I agree with mduell in that there in all likelihood not be a redesign.

All macintosh enclosures are fairly mature and could be redesigned but have not. The closest to a redesign is the alu iMac it went from white to alu.

Apple, is content to stick with the current design for the MBP and why not, its design is sleek, modern, still works as designed.

If you're holding out for a new case design, you might as well resign yourself not to owing a MBP for a very long time. If you have a need (or a want) for a MBP now, and the case is the only thing holding you back. Just buy the computer and enjoy it now. Push comes to shove you could always sell the MBP if apple surprises everyone with a enw MBP case and then buy one of those new puppies

tridentinecanon
Apr 1, 2008, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by jasonscott71 View Post
Yeah, if I had an eSATA port I'd be in total happy land.
Yes yes yes!

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2008, 08:39 PM

I'm in a similar situation (my 15" 1 Ghz G4 just bit the dust), and I don't think I'll wait it out until June. The main issue is that we're currently at a late revision of the MBPs, so they're tested and well proven, as opposed to the first-rev headaches that can come with a new design.

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 2, 2008, 06:20 PM

The two things I don't like about the MacBook Pro are the keyboard and the latch; both of which I expect to be changed whenever they give it a redesign, so I'm waiting. If those things don't bother you, I don't see any reason not to buy a current one.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2008, 07:54 AM

What's wrong with the keyboard. its your typical laptop keyboard for the most part.

I owned a MB before the MBP, and I can say I much prefer the MBP keyboard over the chiclet styled MB keyboard. Of course keyboard preference is a personal preference. To each his own

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2008, 09:45 AM

The mbp line was updated recently so it wouldn't be a bad move to get one now. However, how resistant are you to marketing? If there is a major upgrade coming in the summer or whenever it will likely be accompanied by lots of advertising touting how superior it is to all predecessors. God himself will not have fashioned a better laptop than the redesigned macbook pro. If you can ignore all that get one now and enjoy!

quiklee
Senior User
Apr 3, 2008, 03:49 PM

if you want it now, get it now . . . don't wait . . . there's no point cuz you'll be anguishing over every lil announcement
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2008, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
What's wrong with the keyboard. its your typical laptop keyboard for the most part.

I owned a MB before the MBP, and I can say I much prefer the MBP keyboard over the chiclet styled MB keyboard. Of course keyboard preference is a personal preference. To each his own
Yep, it is just a matter of personal preference. It's not that I hate the MBP keyboard, I just prefer the chiclet style keyboard, which it looks like there's a good chance Apple will move into the next MBP redesign.

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 4, 2008, 02:54 PM

Look... You're asking if you should wait for a redesign of the macbook pro. This rant isn't personal... it's for every one who's ever come in here asking the same question.

Are you kidding me? You have all that extra discresionary income..enough to buy an Apple laptop. People like you don't deserve the right to purchase a macbook pro. You can't make up your mind? Aren't you free, american and over 21? Why would you come in here with such an asinine question?

Have you looked at a macbook pro lately? Apple is all about simplicity and ease of use, and high quality parts. How much more refined to you think the macbook pro can get? With all the hardware put into the macbook pro... tell me just what do you think should be refined?

Can you tell me? How much more refined, stuffed, redesigned do you think a laptop, any laptop should be?

Screen, dvd slot loader, keyboard & mousepad. How much more refined with today's AFFORDABLE technology do you think the MBP should get? Im so very tired of overpaid whiners coming in here wringing their hands... "oh oh... should I get an mbp or wait for the redesign? oh oh oh... I just can't make up my mind."

I'm halfway dead with a colostomy bag on my left side, unemployed, and even when I do work I only make about 5 figures a year. With all this my main, my ONLY computer is my macbook. No question about what I'd buy.

And here you are probably some overpaid buffoon in some corporate job, nice benefits and you're in here wringing your hands over what laptop to buy?

OMFG!!! Just wait for the Jesus-phone-ipod-laptop already and stop your sniveling.

Yeah... I said it. I'm sorry but it's twice a month we see some new post from someone who can't make up his mind if he should by the new 15 inch jesus laptop or the new and improved 17" father-son-holy ghost model. With the money and life you've got you're telling me you can't make a decision on what laptop to buy? Please god tell me you're not voting. If you cant decide what laptop to buy.. why are you even allowed to drive a car?
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2008, 04:10 PM

Wow dude, bring it down a notch. No need to flame the guy. He was just asking a simple question

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 4, 2008, 04:21 PM

Yeah... I'm sorry for the personal tone... but I'm just fed up with people who are CLEARLY smart enough to make enough extra money to buy a macbook pro are in here waffling about "oh what do i do?"

Im sorry but we all think it. You have a job and a life that affords you the ability to buy one... and you're telling me that they're not intelligent enough to figure out what kind of computer they want to buy next?

Please. It's the same kind of people who come in here and ask... "oh... does the macbook pro come with a screen?"
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

iamnotmad
Senior User
Apr 4, 2008, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by bishopazrael View Post
Look... You're asking if you should wait for a redesign of the macbook pro. This rant isn't personal... it's for every one who's ever come in here asking the same question.

Are you kidding me? You have all that extra discresionary income..enough to buy an Apple laptop. People like you don't deserve the right to purchase a macbook pro. You can't make up your mind? Aren't you free, american and over 21? Why would you come in here with such an asinine question?

Have you looked at a macbook pro lately? Apple is all about simplicity and ease of use, and high quality parts. How much more refined to you think the macbook pro can get? With all the hardware put into the macbook pro... tell me just what do you think should be refined?

Can you tell me? How much more refined, stuffed, redesigned do you think a laptop, any laptop should be?

Screen, dvd slot loader, keyboard & mousepad. How much more refined with today's AFFORDABLE technology do you think the MBP should get? Im so very tired of overpaid whiners coming in here wringing their hands... "oh oh... should I get an mbp or wait for the redesign? oh oh oh... I just can't make up my mind."

I'm halfway dead with a colostomy bag on my left side, unemployed, and even when I do work I only make about 5 figures a year. With all this my main, my ONLY computer is my macbook. No question about what I'd buy.

And here you are probably some overpaid buffoon in some corporate job, nice benefits and you're in here wringing your hands over what laptop to buy?

OMFG!!! Just wait for the Jesus-phone-ipod-laptop already and stop your sniveling.

Yeah... I said it. I'm sorry but it's twice a month we see some new post from someone who can't make up his mind if he should by the new 15 inch jesus laptop or the new and improved 17" father-son-holy ghost model. With the money and life you've got you're telling me you can't make a decision on what laptop to buy? Please god tell me you're not voting. If you cant decide what laptop to buy.. why are you even allowed to drive a car?

Wow, no wonder you are "halfway dead".

on topic though I was hoping the MBP got the MB/MBA KB too, it did not. I decided to get a MB black and enjoy it and maybe sell it once an overdue redesign (to get in line with (at least some of) the other two notebooks new physical traits) hits the MBP, then maybe get one.

I really like the MB (black) though!

sartor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2008, 05:58 PM

centrino 2 chip has wimax...

would that come into play? would it be worth waiting for?
it could be a big change..!

Cold Warrior
Apr 5, 2008, 06:29 PM

I'm all for playing the waiting game when we can deduce - with decent probability - a new model release. But for those who can't wait and need gear now, they need to get it now.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2008, 07:46 PM

Maybe it's because he doesn't have all that extra discretionary income, and whatever computer he buys now is the computer he will be stuck with for a long time? A truly rich person wouldn't be bothered if their machine became obsolete - they'd just buy another one. Maybe this guy can't do that, hmm?

A bunch of things have already been pointed out in the thread:

1. eSATA

2. A better keyboard

3. Easier access to the hard drive (don't underestimate this - it's a lifesaver when your hard drive dies after the computer is out of warranty)

4. A magnetic latch like on the MacBook

5. Better heating/cooling

6. A non-NVidia graphics card

And those are just what I can think of right off the top of my head.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2008, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by sartor View Post
centrino 2 chip has wimax...

would that come into play? would it be worth waiting for?
it could be a big change..!
Apple has never implemented Centrino, I'm not sure what leads you to believe they will now.

sartor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2008, 12:29 PM

from: Intel Notebook Processors Montevina (Centrino 2) will exceed 3.0 GHz
and a number of other sources
------------

"Intel, finally decided to name their Montevina platform as Centrino 2. These are the next generation (actually the 5th generation) notebook processors that will support Penryn, the 45nm technology, and should be presented in June during the Computex Taipei 2008 Conference.

Intel is counting on giving " consumers the feeling of a tangible upgrade and will hopefully spur replacement demand".

The company will deliver six Centrino 2 notebook processors, all with 1066 MHz front-side bus and should run from 2.26 GHz to 3.06 GHz which is a big increase if you compare them with what's on the market right now: 800MHz FSB processors running at 2.6 GHz.

The new processors will be used for sure in Apple's MacBook and MacBook Pro while processors for the MacBook Air should be available in the third quarter of 2008."

Faust
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 6, 2008, 12:59 PM

I am very sorry for your health situation.

I don't think it's fair to blame others (the person who posted this thread) for wanting an opinion on something they deem a valid question. Some people can afford what others can't. That's life. The forum wouldn't exist if we were all apologetic for being able to afford Apple hardware.

I could argue and make you aware of the fact that you can afford a MacBook while there are plenty of people in the Sudan (just an example) who'd love to have your problems because they don't know where to get their food tomorrow. Many of them will die sooner than you will.

There'll always be people who have it better than you and there will be a good portion of people who have it much worse than you. I don't see why either should be put to blame.

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2008, 12:46 AM

Look I just erased this whole long thing... and I just don't care.

Sorry. I wasn't ranting on the OP in particular. Just rubbed me wrong on a day when meds really were not kicking in the way they should have. And it's a pet peeve of mine. And since you guys are techs like me... I want to try and explain this.

Well.. not really. Morphine's making me sweat right now and feel kinda yucky so let me just say that I think my sentiment... while not correctly expressed, is something that computer techs the world over share in one way or another. Just seems to me that when it comes to Apple computers, sadly it's VERY cut and dry. Buy the top of the line of whatever computer you're getting. Or buy the bottom of the line and pay me to upgrade it for less than what Apple would have charged.

It comes from people's general perception that PC techs are now the new gen "used car salesman".

Anyways, sorry for the blow up. You guys know I'm usually there with some good advice but it's just been a really crappy week and I keep eyeing that bottle of morphine..... IDK.

I'm sorry and I'm just glad I can come here and vent. Not like that of course.

That would be bad. but still you guys understand. There used to be a "nothing's off limits" type of sub forum here .. idk if it's still here but if it is maybe I'll start up a debate about it.

I'm out.

Bishop

naphtali
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 7, 2008, 09:39 PM

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2008, 09:46 PM

Yeah I'm going to bend over and take my spanking now.

Cold Warrior
Apr 7, 2008, 10:10 PM

Saw that also. Sounds great, although I'm staying away from the first generation al MB after the first-gen MacBooks had issues.

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2008, 10:19 PM

My very thoughts. We all know that Apple makes great products... but we also know they have a propensity to .... make gen1 of their products betas to work out all the bugs. Never fear though.. usually a few months behind the first wave comes the second. And in light of the issues with Leopard, I'm having my first worries about their QC.

But I've eaten enough crow today...

........say.. cold... could you pass the ketchup please?? these tail feathers are a bit ... dusty..!!

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2008, 11:02 PM

Not wanting to go too far off topic, but what would a 'totally redesigned' laptop even look like. I mean, faster, more storage, sure, but it looks to me like we're pretty much at a dead end for laptop design.
Sure, we can increase speed, storage, ruggedness etc, but designs are limited by the size of our hands (keyboard or other inputs) and our eyes (screen size). Anyone want to go out on a limb on redesign, or is this basically it?
When you go smaller you get palm pilots and things like them, which are fine for some things, but not a replacement for a full capacity laptop.

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2008, 11:45 PM

Peeb you should google "futuristic laptop" and see the kind of things that come up.

I firmly believe that we have seen then end of the line for THIS type of laptop and I think that truly in the next decade we're going to see wonderous new things. However I think in practical terms the next step in the line of laptop evolution will be the wider adoption of inkwell and touch screens, or tablets. The convertible tablets and even the slate designs are going to see wider adoption as Intel makes breakthroughs with their chips and other R&D continues to grow. The next "ipod" step for apple will be to bring out a tablet. I'm actually kind of floored that they havent.

But I implore you to give me just another minute. Follow my logic.

For years people thought OS X was PPC only, and only now do we find out that since the day of it's inception it was native to both intel and ppc.

For years the rumors floated all around the Valley of a secret tablet device, the more recently of a phone. Most scoffed at the idea. Apple make a pda? Don't you remember the fall of the Newton? Now we've gotten the iphone. That was years in development.

See the Newton was years ahead of its time. A tablet style input in a pda sized device. Would it shock you if God were to give you omniscience and you could see that Steve has a vault... a room so secure even the NSA couldn't get in without his own personal say so... and would you be surprised to see inside that vault a prototype, a working prototype of a Mac tablet? Any man who owns and follows the Church of Mac knows that surely our founder has the answer to all of our prayers.

Would it surprise no one here that Jobs probably has an iphone that actually works the way it was EXPECTED to work? Full ical integration and support, with a touch screen and the re-implementation of inkwell, a rotating display that you can use to type more comfortably in any app you use on the phone? Perhaps a slider or a folder or even a rotating design.

Who knows? Jobs and probably 5 other people on the face of the planet.

No I have no secret inside source, no foreknowledge, nothing like that. But as a studier of the human condition, I know that Steve is in step with his users. Sure he can make a mis-step but he can also righten the ship very quickly. Just look at apple tv take 2.

And if you step back and look objectivly, you can see the very clear and very STEADY progression he's making. I say in 2 years we'll have the true, actual in the flesh JESUS phone.

60gb, stylus input or finger input ( for those that say steve said he'd never use a stylus.. he also said he'd never make a phone either. Said it right up to the day he intro'd it.) full video, full mac apps like we've got on our laptops today. I think in 2 years we'll have a full laptop in the palm of our hands. I think Steve knows that chips will continue to become smaller and that he can push the iphone in size ... physical size at least a half inch in all directions and people will clamor and riot for it. He knows that as long as he brings his quality to the device, people will accept it being just a tad bigger than normal. I also think it'll come packaged with wireless stereo headphones, and it'll be dockable.

What's my basis for this?

Sony had a palm sized computer that ran Windows CE. Not the greatest machine, it did modest but not staggering sales like they had expected and produced for so it was called a flop.

But imagine this

running OS XI. Phone. PDA. Touch screen. 60gb internal hdd.

And once again I will be at the front of the line to watch all the microshaft fanbois sob in terror as the realization creeps over their puny hearts that they've chosen to believe in a false god. Windows Mobile will be no more and every cell carrier in the world will be crawling and begging, groveling for Steve to just glance upon them and bless them, oh yes please to bless them with the most high honor of working with him and his beloved gifts of joy and life! And the masses will RISE and they will say unto the world... STEVE JOBS IS KING!

Or something like that. I think Steve knows what we want. I also think he knows that he should NEVER say NEVER ever again because when he said "I'll never make a cell phone" he didn't realize that things do change, and now he knows. I think Steve's philosophy is smart.... make one thing work, one step at a time... roll it out gently and make sure it continues to work right, then work on the next step.

Anyone wanna bet against me?

MartiNZ
Senior User
Apr 8, 2008, 01:32 AM

I just upgraded my 12" 1.5GHz G4 PB to a new MBP 2.5GHz. My feeling is that if the redesign mid-year is anything more than minor, it might just suffer from being a new 'rev a', so you might as well get the tried and true design machine now, with what really is a big gain in performance .

milhous
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2008, 06:50 AM

My bet on eSATA is that It's not going to happen. Come on people, this is Steve Jobs we're talking about!

Apple Drone: "Steve, we think eSATA ports are a good move in the next MBP."
SJ: "Why on earth would you think that?! They've already got FW400 and FW800. If they need more they can use a 3rd party express card or get a MacPro."
Apple Drone: "But Steve..."
SJ: "Nope, not happening."

It'll take a lot more than an enthusiast's wish-list to get eSATA ports.

My $.02
F = ma

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2008, 06:56 AM

Actually I think the MBP and MP owners are off best. PCIe and EC/34 let you install eSATA if you really need it. Obviously internal is the nicest option, but at least these owners can get it at all. The Mac mini, iMac, and MB(A) owners OTOH are really stuck. As long as Apple doesn't put eSATA in there, they're simply out of luck. To make matters worse, the Mac mini and MB(A) crowd doesn't even have FW800 so they're really stuck in terms of high-performance external storage.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2008, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
Not wanting to go too far off topic, but what would a 'totally redesigned' laptop even look like. I mean, faster, more storage, sure, but it looks to me like we're pretty much at a dead end for laptop design.
peeb, here's an image from the AI thread posted above. Its a mockup, based on the MB Air, and I think the new MBP colud look similar to this. Lose the latch button and wide bezel around the screen from this and it could very easily be a new MBP.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2008, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
peeb, here's an image from the AI thread posted above. Its a mockup, based on the MB Air, and I think the new MBP colud look similar to this. Lose the latch button and wide bezel around the screen from this and it could very easily be a new MBP.

That was kind of my point.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2008, 08:50 AM

Well up to a point a laptop is a laptop is a laptop - Thick slab with a thin slab hinged off it, screen on the top slap, keyboard on the bottom slab. They have got, and will keep getting bigger, thinner lighter etc but until the interface is brought on and something like multi touch screens hit the mainstream (ie 13"-17" and bigger panels for a reasonable price), that keyboard is going to stay there and the rest is tweaking aesthetics.

In my opinion Apple have the best looking laptops out there right now, but things can always be improved on.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2008, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by milhous View Post
My bet on eSATA is that It's not going to happen. Come on people, this is Steve Jobs we're talking about!

Apple Drone: "Steve, we think eSATA ports are a good move in the next MBP."
SJ: "Why on earth would you think that?! They've already got FW400 and FW800. If they need more they can use a 3rd party express card or get a MacPro."
Apple Drone: "But Steve..."
SJ: "Nope, not happening."

It'll take a lot more than an enthusiast's wish-list to get eSATA ports.

My $.02
But the thing eSATA has that other technologies one could ask for don't is that it would cost almost nothing to add, since the machine already uses SATA internally.

eSATA is also going to be the standard of the future for external storage. Apple will have to add it eventually - it's only a matter of when. If they added it now, it would add to the machine's cutting-edge factor for a minimal price, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if it showed up on the next case redesign.

dankar
Apr 11, 2008, 01:52 AM

Why not run geekbench on your PB?

I am getting 3198 on my MBP (2.5ghz, 512mb vram) using the geekbench 32-bit software.

EndlessMac
Senior User
Apr 11, 2008, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
If that is the new MBP then it looks really nice! Although the problem with unofficial pictures is that we might end up liking the design only to find out that it's a fake and end up disappointed.

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 11, 2008, 04:38 PM

Only thing i find improbable is the bigger bezel around the lcd. One of the things Apple sales touts on the mbp's over mb's is the thinner bezel on the mbp.

Other than that it's a black keyboard. IDK why it makes such a difference.

And I've got to say... keep in mind I just switched from a 15"mbp to a 13"mb and I think I've got the better of the 2 worlds on most issues. I wish the screen was better, but it's no biggie. Mostly I'm docked anyways. I just think that the mbp, while they're bound to make change sure... it won't change much from what it is, thin, metal, slot loading drive, glossy screens. It won't get any thinner, why would they get rid of the aluminum case that clearly protects the internals much better than plastic?

Sure you'll eventually get esata, mag latch, diff keyboard, but the design will be fundamentally the same.

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 12, 2008, 12:11 AM

Sure you'll eventually get esata, mag latch, diff keyboard, but the design will be fundamentally the same.
This is exactly what I want .

naphtali
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 12, 2008, 05:10 AM

My term's starting so I'm not waiting anymore! Going with the current MBP soon

Been thinking about the whole waiting thing and I agree with many of you:
- never ending refresh cycle
- rev A issues

In addition, looking at the Intel roadmap, there's going to be an even more significant hardware refresh next year. Do you wait for that too? It's nice to have the newest, but I guess sometimes you need to let go.

I wouldn't agree that the current form factor is perfect or necessarily timeless. Having lived with one for the past 4 years it got a little stale, and I really looked around for alternatives. There just still isn't anything out there with this great mix of beauty and performance.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2008, 06:48 AM

Well they introduced the current model back in Feb 08 and before that June 07. They seem to be on a nearly six month cycle for each update. That being the case I'd hazard a guess that the next update would be late summer early fall. There are rumors swirling around about a possible case redesign lately so that of course throws my argument out the door (possibly)

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Apr 16, 2008, 11:43 PM

I think a case redesign and Centrino 2 is going to be basically all we will see. Maybe a move to ATi (dear god I hope not...) and a chiclet keyboard (hope so).

If we get anything else, such as eSATA, I will be very surprised, but also very happy.
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 17, 2008, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by drnkn_stylz View Post
I think a case redesign and Centrino 2 is going to be basically all we will see.
I don't think we're going to see Centrino 2 from Apple.

naphtali
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 17, 2008, 10:05 AM

More fuel to the fire

AppleInsider | Apple orders aluminum 13-inch MacBook shells, 3G iPhone chips

A worker at a Taiwanese case manufacturer posting to one of the Taiwan's largest technology forums claims (link withheld to protect identity) that his unnamed employer has just this week received orders to produce enclosures for new MacBook systems.

...while numerous indicators have also suggest that MacBooks and MacBook Pros must wait until at least June, when Intel unveils Centrino 2 and vendors can begin using the next-generation mobile platform.

@mduell - If i'm not wrong, so far we're just been off by the wireless chipset to 'qualify' as Centrino right?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 17, 2008, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by naphtali View Post
If i'm not wrong, so far we're just been off by the wireless chipset to 'qualify' as Centrino right?
Yep. Apple uses Atheros whereas the Santa Rosa platform (Centrino) requires the Intel Kedron wifi adapter. And a generation before that we used the Calistoga chipset (not Napa or Centrino) because Apple didn't go for the Intel Golan wifi chipset. Apple doesn't need to build Centrino-compliant Macs since as the OS maker they support the hardware themselves. This is fundamentally different from the PC notebook world where Centrino guarantees certain functionality will work right out of the box (at least in theory).

But that's not really the point. Some people use names like Centrino 2 and Santa Rosa in the Mac world although those terms are clearly not applicable. There's no need to either as there are perfectly clear names: we are currently using the Crestline chipset (not Santa Rosa or Centrino) and what we expect to soon arrive to the Mac is the Cantiga chipset (not Montevina or Centrino 2). There is a well-defined and clear nomenclature for the parts used in Macs. No need to confuse them with other (different) parts or platforms.

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 17, 2008, 05:56 PM

Woah, thanks for that explanation. It turns out I've been misunderstanding the whole thing for quite some time!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 18, 2008, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by BoingoBongo View Post
Woah, thanks for that explanation. It turns out I've been misunderstanding the whole thing for quite some time!
Don't worry, you're not alone. There has been a lot of confusion in the Mac world about Intel nomenclature despite the attempts to clear it up. Part of the problem is that in the PC world people like to use platform names as synonyms for the underlying chipset. In the PC world that also pretty much works out since most of the time the entire platform is being implemented. In the Mac world this is not (and previously never has been) the case.

Forum Links
Forum Rules