Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Recommendations for new PC Technician?

Recommendations for new PC Technician?
BurpetheadX
Dedicated MacNNer
May 7, 2008, 08:55 PM

Hey Guys,

I have been a Mac field technician for a very long time now, however I am starting a position as a basic PC technician for the summer and was wondering what tools & tips more PC-experienced people have for the field.

For example, my Mac toolkit consisted of multiple OS X discs, Diskwarrior, Office install, external drive, and maybe a couple other things.

What would you recommend having to be a basic PC technician? I will just be doing spyware / virus cleaning, wireless setups, etc. I'm A+ Certified and know how Windows works and all, but just need to know what to take with me. I'm assuming I can't take Windows install discs, because of all the different versions and licensing. But maybe an XP & Vista disc to run Windows repairs? Should I have Spybot / AdAware on a burned CD for convenience? Or other better spyware programs? What happens if a user needs Windows reinstalled, and they don't have their original computer's CD? Are their any free, easy migration utilities to backup a Windows machine, and restore it after a new OS install? Anything else I need to know before hitting the streets?

Thanks!
www.marcushesse.com

UNC-Charlotte Apple Campus Rep.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2008, 09:02 PM

Just carry around a big bag full of Mac Minis, and replace all the PCs.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
May 7, 2008, 10:52 PM

Depends where you're doing the stuff. I've been working in a large university (We're basically enterprise), and I have to deal with entirely different sets of problems than the usual Adware/Spyware crap that most shops see.

My big hints:

Know Office inside and out. Know exactly how and when it loads it's templates, where they're located on the computer, and where add-ons are located in the registry. Office is (IMHO) far more complicated than the Windows OS itself, a lot harder to take care of when you've got issues with it.

Make sure you've got something like a bootable floppy on hand for ANCIENT computers, plus, you'll want a laptop and an external enclosure that can be used in place when you've got hardware with rootkits installed (You have to be booted from a different disk to detect rootkits for the most part).

I'm sure I don't need to tell you, but carry a full sized hard drive to quickly back-up data if you suspect that your client's hard drive is failing (Happens way more often than I'd like to admit).

Anyone else have more tips?

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
May 8, 2008, 01:37 AM

Buy one of these stat.

MichiganRich
Dedicated MacNNer
May 9, 2008, 11:35 PM

Sounds like they hired the right guy for the job....

BurpetheadX  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 14, 2008, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by iMOTOR View Post
Buy one of these stat.
Good suggestion. I picked one up.
www.marcushesse.com

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 14, 2008, 06:11 PM

I've narrowed down the type of screwdrivers you'll need for 99.95% of any computer job, PC or Mac. You'll want at least 4" shaft on all the tools. I've found that ratchet drivers with bits only work 75% of the time, and it's annoying as hell when the bit pops off and falls into the case. I recommend single-shaft tools, no bits. I've only ever used the square driver two or three times, and it was always inside a USB print server or wireless station that stopped working for one reason or another. Probably optional. Depending on your environment, you may use Security Torx a lot. You'll find them used mostly in rackmount screws and a few server cases (HP to name at least one that I know of.)

Philips - 00, 0, 1, 2
Torx - T7, T8, T9, T10, T15, T20
S-Torx - T8-H, T10-H
Slot - 2, 4
Square - S0, S1, S2, S3
Hex - 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5
Hex Nut - 3/16, 1/4
Plastic coated pry tool
( Last edited by olePigeon; May 14, 2008 at 06:20 PM. )
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 14, 2008, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by iMOTOR View Post
Buy one of these stat.
Great suggestion, these came in handy back when I did tech support.

BurpetheadX  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 14, 2008, 07:58 PM

I also downloaded a copy of Hiren's Boot CD. I figure that coupled with the adapter, and an external USB drive, I should be pretty set recovery wise.

I also burned copies of Office XP, 2003, and 2007 installers, as well as a standalone SP3 Update CD and XP SP3 Install CD I have an OEM Vista CD as well.
www.marcushesse.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules