Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Screen Distortion - 17" MBP - April 2008 Vintage

Screen Distortion - 17" MBP - April 2008 Vintage
spiff72
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 13, 2009, 10:42 PM

Hello all,

I have been having issues lately with screen distortion - specifically in applications like Safari (Beta 4 - 5528.16). I have seen issues in iTunes too when scrolling through the Music Store pages.

Here are photos of the stuff I get in Safari:

Are these symptoms of the problem with the nVidia graphics card problems on this era of MBPs?

I tried to take a screen grab, but when I start up Grab, the graphics glitch corrects itself. (Actually clicking any app in the dock corrects the problem for a moment. It comes back eventually with some scrolling of web pages. I have found that rebooting can stop the problem for a while, but it still comes back again later.

Thanks!
"Mac Daddy" - 15" MBP, 2.2 GHz Core i7, 8GB, 750GB HDD
"Mommy Mac" - 13" Macbook, 2.4GHz C2D, 2GB, 160GB
"Baby Mac" - 15" PB, 1.5GHz, 1.5GB, 80GB
64GB iPod Touch (4th gen)

328iGuy
Apr 20, 2009, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by spiff72 View Post
Are these symptoms of the problem with the nVidia graphics card problems on this era of MBPs?
I would definately say you are one of the cases affected by the issues with the graphics card. Contact Apple for replacement as they have recently increased the warranty time on those cards.
MacBook Pro • 15" MacBook Pro
iMac • 27" iMac i7
iMac • 20" iMac
iPhone 4 • 32GB

spiff72  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 20, 2009, 05:13 PM

Thanks for the reply - I am surprised it took so long for a response from someone!

Anyway, the lack of response actually drove me to uninstall the Safari 4 beta last night and this has (at least temporarily) gotten rid of the issue within Safari itself. I will run the machine for a few days and see if it happens again.

When using the Safari 4 Beta, I also noticed that it renders large images oddly too. After uninstalling the beta, this odd behavior went away. As an example - on Flickr, when you go to an image, and pick the "all sizes" button, and then choose "original size", the image flickers (insert joke here) as it loads, and flickers as you scroll around the image.

Here are a couple example Flickr photos (original size):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/justabb...83809/sizes/o/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/justabb...65738/sizes/o/

Again, I will test this again a few times over the next couple days to see if the glitch reoccurs with Safari 3. If so, I will really suspect that the graphics card is at fault. I just haven't seen any example photos of of the more widespread issue, so I wasn't sure if my issue was a sypmtom of the problem or not.

Thanks
Jeff
"Mac Daddy" - 15" MBP, 2.2 GHz Core i7, 8GB, 750GB HDD
"Mommy Mac" - 13" Macbook, 2.4GHz C2D, 2GB, 160GB
"Baby Mac" - 15" PB, 1.5GHz, 1.5GB, 80GB
64GB iPod Touch (4th gen)

Forum Links
Forum Rules