Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone 2g - upgraded to 3.0 - Can I go Back?

iPhone 2g - upgraded to 3.0 - Can I go Back?
spiff72
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2009, 12:46 PM

Hello all,

I upgraded my iphone to 3.0 the day it was released, and I have been using it for a few days (purely as an ipod touch). I cancelled my service with ATT a while back, and I have been using it mostly as an app platform for casual games.

I was playing Bejeweled 2 last night, and the game became completely unresponsive. I did the restart procedure, and after the reboot, i tried playing again, and it would frequently ignore screen presses in certain areas of the screen - especially on the edges of the game board. Sometimes, flipping the game from portrait to landscape mode would help for the next couple of screen taps, but it would then reoccur.

I then exited out of the game, and the home screen was acting the same way - non responsive to screen taps in some areas. As a result, I don't think it was the game at fault.

I would like to downgrade to version 2.2.1, and see if the OS has introduced this bug, or if the hardware itself is failing. The trouble is that all of the instructions on the web seem to be for people who had the beta 3.0 version installed.

Can anyone tell me if you can install the old OS on your phone?
( Last edited by spiff72; Jun 23, 2009 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Title change - i don't think it is a firmware problem)
"Mac Daddy" - 15" MBP, 2.2 GHz Core i7, 8GB, 750GB HDD
"Mommy Mac" - 13" Macbook, 2.4GHz C2D, 2GB, 160GB
"Baby Mac" - 15" PB, 1.5GHz, 1.5GB, 80GB
64GB iPod Touch (4th gen)

spiff72  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2009, 09:32 PM

Well - I tried downloading the 2.2.1 firmware and installing it through iTunes using the Option-click on the Restore button (which lets you choose the firmware file to use. This errors out with "Unknown Error 20".

I tried a complete restore using the 3.0 firmware again (as if it was a new phone, and it appears that a band across the screen is just plain dead (to touch response). It happens to coincide with the second row of icons on the home screen.

I tried playing Flight Control, and when I trace paths for the planes they stop as soon as they hit this band on the screen.

This sucks - I have babied this thing and it has never been dropped. It still looks brand new, but now it is basically useless to me. I don't have applecare on it, so I don't think repair is an option (I would bet that a new iPod touch would cost me less). Does Apple do flat rate repairs?

Thanks,
Jeff

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2009, 11:34 PM

How long have you had it?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

spiff72  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2009, 06:48 AM

I bought it on the original iphone launch day - June 29, 2007. It is an 8GB version, so I paid full price for it ($600 minus the eventual $100 rebate after hey lowered their prices). Makes for an expensive paperweight (technically it can still work as an ipod - just cant use that band across the screen). For gaming - it is now useless.

Forum Links
Forum Rules