Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Creating Tony Starks Morning Window Screen

Creating Tony Starks Morning Window Screen
quiklee
Senior User
Jun 12, 2008, 07:42 PM

So, I just finished watching Iron Man for the upteenth time and the one thing that I really think I can actually make for myself from the movie is the G'Morning Screen he has integrated into the Window of his Bedroom.

These are my thoughts . . instead of a window, I'll use a 50-60 inch LCD and have an Ocean View as my wallpaper and a Mac Mini to power it:

now . . to the software part

1) Needs to turn on by itself at a certain time - Check - Use OSX Scheduling
2) Needs to display:
- Weather - Is there some kind of desktop widget?
- TV News - Plug my cable tv into an ElGato, then have it scheduled to turn on
- Stock Reports - Desktop widget?

What else was there on the screen?

What else would you like on the screen?

Who's gonna be the first to get this set up?
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Jun 12, 2008, 07:44 PM

I definitely like Tony Starks whole integrated setup. I think this is a cool little project, you'll have to keep us updated on how it goes and maybe some screen shots.

quiklee  (op)
Senior User
Jun 12, 2008, 08:05 PM

the one sticking point right now is that the widgets can't just stay on the desktop . . I remember there was a trick with the old OSX to hold the widget while pressing F12 and the widget would stick onto the desktop . . . .

anyone know of any work arounds for this?

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2008, 08:08 PM

Maybe use konfabulator instead?

quiklee  (op)
Senior User
Jun 12, 2008, 08:14 PM

quiklee  (op)
Senior User
Jun 12, 2008, 08:17 PM

gonna order the elgato now and see if i can get this setup for you guys by next week!

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2008, 09:34 PM

We'll have to get your project on digg if you're successful.

Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2008, 09:50 PM

Widgets stay on the desktop fine... you jsut enter a terminal command.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2008, 09:53 PM

BTW, do you have a reference picture to tease us with in the meantime?

quiklee  (op)
Senior User
Jun 13, 2008, 02:44 AM

so apparently . . the dashboard/widget trick only works on my MBP, but not on my Mac Mini . . . weird, but true

so, what I did was install the Yahoo Widgets program . . . and it's starting to look ok . . .

I'll try to post a screen shot soon

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2008, 09:22 AM

Give us a pic of Tony Stark's desktop so we can offer help/suggestions/advice.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2008, 09:30 AM

ditto, I haven't seen the movie so its difficult to visualize what you're asking.

-Q-
Jun 13, 2008, 11:15 AM

How on earth could someone provide a screenshot of a movie that hasn't been released as a DVD yet? </naiveté about torrents>

Great project idea. Definitely keep us updated.

quiklee  (op)
Senior User
Jun 13, 2008, 06:19 PM

i'm sure i can get you guys a screen shot by this weekend . . it might be a lil grainy, but I think you guys will be understandable

ok, so far . . . I have some yahoo widgets set up at half opacity . . . . hid my dock . . . and got a GREAT ocean view wallpaper . .

just ordered my elgato . . . so I can't wait for it to come in next week . . . and right now, I have a 32" LG LCD, but I think for this project I'm going to swap it out and bring my 40" Sony Bravia LCD from the unused living room!

Foreseeable Problems
Lack of Widgets
Design - probably has to do with lack of widgets
Getting rid of the Tool bar (File, Edit, Window, View . . etc)
Figuring out how to get the computer to tell me the Weather Report
( Last edited by quiklee; Jun 13, 2008 at 06:21 PM. Reason: i forgot something)

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2008, 07:55 PM

There is an MTV widget that is capable of full screen mode.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

quiklee  (op)
Senior User
Jun 13, 2008, 09:54 PM

Not Sure if you guys can see it . . . but there are widgets in the lower parts of the window . . .

I'll try to get the girl in my setup as well

quiklee  (op)
Senior User
Jun 13, 2008, 10:06 PM

And this is what I have so far . . . . still a little tweaking to do!

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2008, 11:49 PM

Looking good.

Black_Rain
Jun 14, 2008, 02:50 AM

i would go w/ a strategically positioned projector instead of a flatscreen...

especially if your room is dark enough to support a projector
Please visit StopMyVirus.com!!

quiklee  (op)
Senior User
Jun 14, 2008, 02:36 PM

you know . that's a pretty good idea . . . . but I just don't have enough ceiling room for a projector and my wall's too messy with all these ac grates and other plastic plates that it wouldn't look smooth enough . . .

i guess whoever's reading this and does their work in a basement?

Sijmen
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 14, 2008, 06:44 PM

What are the options for widget placements? I see the performance bar under the news widget.

Overall, I think it looks good. With widget placement figured out(varies with wallpaper) and unified widget looks this could be more than great. Good job.
Apple Powerbook 17" 1,67 GHz, 2 gig RAM, 100 gig HDD, ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128MB, Superdrive 8X

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2008, 09:39 PM

If you could get a looping video of the sea scene as a full-screen desktop, it'll make it more dynamic than a standalone photo.

There used to be a mod that would let you make moving desktops. Not sure if it's still around but worth a look.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

quiklee  (op)
Senior User
Jun 14, 2008, 11:50 PM

yes . . a standardized widget look would make this so much better, but I'm in no way a widget coder . . . . anyone want to volunteer their services???

also, the dynamic wallpaper could definitely happen . . . it's called WallSaver

anyone know of a place i could download a really nice ocean wallpaper?

quiklee  (op)
Senior User
Jun 15, 2008, 12:23 AM

Found this - Serene Saver Pro

looks like it has built in scenes

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2008, 02:57 AM

Might check out Stattoo for some unified widgets that blend into the desktop nicely.

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Jun 15, 2008, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by quiklee View Post
And this is what I have so far . . . . still a little tweaking to do!

Looks great! I think getting it to tell you the weather might be a problem too. Good luck and make sure to post any updates!

quiklee  (op)
Senior User
Jun 16, 2008, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by slpdLoad View Post
Might check out Stattoo for some unified widgets that blend into the desktop nicely.
i'm gonna install it and give you guys a screen shot to see which ones you guys like better

quiklee  (op)
Senior User
Jun 16, 2008, 02:36 AM

ok . . stattoo stalls out like crazy on my mac mini and my macbook pro . . . . it looks good, but it's just not gonna work . . . . thanks though!

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2008, 02:53 AM

You might be able to create some kind of automator work process where you use Voice to read an rss feed of the weather. Not sure this could be set for a timer, unless you find an rss feed that updates on the hour.

Or if you have skype, make a phone call to a weather service station (if they still exist) and have it played though the speakers as well.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

philozopher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2008, 01:54 AM

Notifications: The latest version of GROWL now has voice notifications. This makes configuration of the voice easier and gives you the potential of multiple notification types, not just weather. I'm looking for a perl script and I'll see if I put together an AppleScript application that will post a Growl notification for the weather.

Anyway, there's a million ways to slice it and once you start posting alerts to Growl, you can change how they appear (or not) to suit your preferences as they change over time. Geting weather data is probably the easy part if you know Perl.

I'll see what I can put toether and follow-up in a couple of days.

Regards,
Dave

lauwersp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2008, 09:22 AM

oh yea... and if someone could throw the suit together and mail it to me I'd be most appreciative...

philozopher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2008, 04:39 PM

Background voice notification turns out ot be pretty simple with Perl. There is a simple shell command that you can have speak any text you want:

(Execute this in the terminal)

Say -v "Alex" "Hello!"

Setting up a CRON job to automatically lookup the weather and announce current conditions and today's high/low is pretty easy. I think what would be harder would be to figure out what event would trigger this: User activity, a specific time of day, a variable time of day based on external triggers (temp, sunrise, weather alert).

You can have your computer look up and speak many differnt things to you, but it comes down to "What?" and "When?". I'd be happy to lend a hand if you want help with the scripting. If this seems like too much, I'd stick with Growl Firefox 3 and the ForecastFox FF extension. Set Growl to "Voice" for Firefox alerts and then hide Firefox in the background.
( Last edited by philozopher; Jun 18, 2008 at 04:58 PM. )

quiklee  (op)
Senior User
Jun 19, 2008, 12:48 AM

oh man . . that sounds really good . . . in the movie, there is a voice that tells the weather and date I think as the widgets show up on the window . . .

I wish i knew perl . . . so far, i'm just stuck on the formats of the current yahoo widgets . . . . i'm gonna start looking into the growl features tonight

also . . that serene saver thing costs 50 bucks . . . . anyone know of anything similar that contributes to this free group project we're all doing

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2008, 03:14 AM

You don't need to know Perl to do the speaking. Like Philozopher said, you can just type something like say -v Alex "I'm a talking computer" in the Terminal.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

philozopher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 19, 2008, 04:28 AM

Thanks Chckit. You are exactly right. My point was that getting the computer to talk is the easy part given the simple command. This can be driven by a scripting language, shell command, Automator, et al.

The important "Human Factors" part of this is to get your computer to say something useful when you're there to hear it and also that what is said is useful at the time of the hearing.

In a situation like this, we define usage scenarios like "MORNING COFFEE" where you find out that I-80 is snarled West of Vallejo: "I-80 is jammed up already... take the back roads"; today's high temperature will be > 100 degreess "Bring a change of clothes and drink plenty of water today!" and a brief look at your iCal calendars to remind you that your kid has karate after school today "On your Agenda today, Michael: after school karate at 4 pm."

You want to define meaningful scenarios with a "trigger" in mind whether it's time or activity based. If this were my application, I would think about a few simple scenarios like MORNING COFFEE and EVENING NEWS UPDATE with a trigger based on motion detected by your isight camera. How this gets implemented can be part of your considerations, but its better to get your great ideas down first and then figure out how to make them happen after.

You already have a great idea in that you want a "Tony Stark" style of computer interaction. You didn't bother to say "Can it be done?" you said this is what I want to do, and now how do I do it.

Personally, I think your goal is brilliant and worthy of creating some sort of online workspace to start working on it a la Sourceforge. There are so many ways to make this work, the really crazy question is "why hasn't it been done already?"

Of course, I'm probably getting ahead of myself. Your desire is fantastic. I'd be happy just to help you get there. The next step you might want to consider is your usage scenarios. The will help guide you down the path of achievement. If you only come up with one, that's ok. Write yourself a little story that describes how the scenario plays out... I'll try to get you started:

MORNING COFFEE - Tony Stark's morning info routine
Tony gets up and gets his coffee. He walks over to the window to enjoy the view and drink his coffee. As he sits there, Computer notices him after two minutes and says "Good Morning Tony. It's 7:30 am and it is currently 70 degrees outside. Today's high temperature will be 93 degrees and sunset is at 8:13 pm. Would you like to hear the morning headlines?" The computer begins listening for Tony to say "Yes" or any known affirmative word. Tony says "Yes."
Computer reads the first five National headlines from LA Times, AP, and MacNN which have been downloaded via RSS. After reading the headlines, Computer scans Tony's iCal and Google Calendar for reminders. Computer informs Tony of Michael's karate class today. Finally, Computer checks the weather for severe conditions and notes that there is a dense fog advisory in the morning. Computer says "There is a dense fog advisory this morning, so drive carefully."
At this point, Computer has completed the MORNING COFFEE scenario. Tony can replay the scenario saying "Computer" to which computer replies "Yes Tony." Then he says "Morning Coffee" and the scenario begins.

As you can see, this seems fairly elaborate, but by "sketching" out the scenario, you can cover a lot of explicit and implicit requirements. Everything I've described above can be done on a standard Mac with an iSight camera or just with a microphone and speakers if you want to trigger via speech recognition.

So I'm an application developer at heart! I hope you don't mind if I share your dream for a little while do you?

ttyl,
Philozopher

quiklee  (op)
Senior User
Jun 20, 2008, 01:31 PM

man . .thanks for the response . . that was great . . . i guess I should really think about this

For now, I think Phase 1 is to just get the widgets up there with a moving background - Traffic, Stock, News, Morning News TV, Time and Weather would probably be the most important.

Then Phase 2 would include voice-overs for the weather and traffic and added features like Calendar Reminders

I think the overall goal for this project is for someone to wake up . . . digest this morning screen and be totally ready for the day ahead.

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 21, 2008, 11:22 AM

have you looked into any of the manymany apps that run on the Adobe Air platform? Theres a great one for RSS feeds that will scroll yoru news horizontally or vertically. They're fairly widgety looking if thats the 2.0ish look you're going for. Ditto the weather and a few other of your needs.

There's also Fluid, which will take any web app and convert it to a standalone desktop app.

quiklee  (op)
Senior User
Jul 21, 2008, 05:55 PM

Finally got the El Gato TV part to work, so this is what I'm waking up to now:

jasong
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2008, 12:55 PM

If you have a mic hooked up to the mini, you could just use the Speech control panel to interact with the system. I seem to remember there being a number of semi-useful speakable items and that they were fairly easy to construct. Of course the fact that speakable items is based on System 7 tech does limit its usefulness/robustness, but since this is just for fun . . .
-- Jason

quiklee  (op)
Senior User
Jul 23, 2008, 01:41 PM

So . . it looks like Phase I has been completed. We have working widgets that provide information and have integrated a live tv feed catch up with the latest video news.

Now, on to Phase II

- Cleaning up the Widgets and El Gato to give it a consistent overall theme
- Adding iCal integration
- Setting up automatic startup and shutoff times for the programs
- Moving Background and/or integrating public webcams from all over the country as a virtual window

Phase III is what the Philosopher has suggested
- Integration of iSight capabilities
- Summary of upcoming day and appointments from a pre-programmed list.

Does any one have any ideas on how to get this done? I'm still researching and documenting everything to put together in a instruction manual . . . hopefully, we can make something really good here!
( Last edited by quiklee; Jul 23, 2008 at 01:44 PM. Reason: forgot something)

krove
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2008, 09:07 AM

I would love the day when "agents" like this are smart enough. The problem, as I see it, is the number of different scenarios the agent needs to handle. While your scenario, philozopher, works well, the requirements have been put out in advance, and thus from a programming standpoint you've taken them into account and can manage the situation well. This type of solution would quickly break down if users needed to customize it, unless the program is smart enough to have a basic understanding and situational awareness.

For example, when I wake up, I need the operating room schedule for the day at two different hospitals from my email. In addition, it would be nice if it could pull lab data from any patients currently in the hospital. Integrate that with the weather, traffic and nice literature article relevant to my practice and I'd be set. That's my morning.

How can you account for the multitude of differing routines, pulling in data from disparate sources as email, databases all without me having to sit down and program "my routine?"

It'll happen one day, but I don't see it happening soon. Still, I see these efforts as a step in the right direction, and I look forward to seeing updates!

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

quiklee  (op)
Senior User
Aug 7, 2008, 04:56 PM

any widget masters out there wanting to contribute their skills?

quiklee  (op)
Senior User
Nov 3, 2009, 07:06 PM

It's been a year since i started this thread. I wanted to bump it up to see if anyone knew of any new technologies, but the forum wouldnt' do it cuz of how old it was.

I just copied and pasted my original post:

So, I just finished watching Iron Man for the upteenth time and the one thing that I really think I can actually make for myself from the movie is the G'Morning Screen he has integrated into the Window of his Bedroom.

These are my thoughts . . instead of a window, I'll use a 50-60 inch LCD or Projector and have an Ocean View as my wallpaper and a Mac Mini to power it:

now . . to the software part

1) Needs to turn on by itself at a certain time - Check - Use OSX Scheduling
2) Needs to display:
- Weather - Is there some kind of desktop widget?
- TV News - Plug my cable tv into an ElGato, then have it scheduled to turn on
- Stock Reports - Desktop widget?

All in a very HUD kind of way . . . . nothing as dominating as an actual widget

What else was there on the screen?

What else would you like on the screen?

Who's gonna be the first to get this set up?

Cold Warrior
Nov 3, 2009, 07:19 PM

I just merged your new thread into this one. The forum disallows posts in old threads after a while, but a mod or admin can always fix that.

quiklee  (op)
Senior User
Nov 5, 2009, 02:48 PM

Thanks! . . . . still wondering if anyone knows of any new technologies that will allow this to happen . . . . . feels like an air application if you ask me!

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2009, 03:18 AM

Quartz compositor can throw together iSight integration in a few minutes.

In fact quartz compositor might be able to handle the whole thing.

quiklee  (op)
Senior User
Nov 12, 2009, 08:44 PM

*blink blink* quartz compositor? . . . do you have an example?

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2009, 08:42 PM

Examples of simple QC files are the screensavers on your mac like "word of the day" or "rss visualiser".

You need the developer tools installed on your mac to create them.

I just had a good look and i'm now 100% sure this is the best (and easiest) way to do it.
open up the files and other examples with the developer tools and you will see how it works.

Your could just copy and paste elements from other QC files to give weather reports/news (coming from rss feeds) etc superimposed over a camera output from your iSight.

Bbalagia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2010, 02:51 PM

Could you post a link on where you got that wallpaper?

Forum Links
Forum Rules