Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Kingston SSDNow V Series + 2011 MBP Questions

Kingston SSDNow V Series + 2011 MBP Questions
Nergol
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 19, 2011, 05:42 PM

Hi all;

So I have a latest-gen 13" MBP, in which I've installed a 128GB Kingston SSDNow V series drive (model no. SNV425S2128GB). I know that Snow Leopard doesn't support TRIM natively, and Lion may only support it for Apple-branded drives. I found out about TRIM Support Enabler by Cindori, and I wonder whether I should install it. Apparently how well it works varies greatly by model of SSD. Some SSDs, in fact, do TRIM on their own, while others don't do TRIM, but do a sort of garbage collection of their own that makes using Cindori's tool unnecessary.

Does anyone have any words of advice that could help me out in deciding whether to use this tool or not? Does my drive already do garbage collection? Does this tool work well? Any experience with setups similar to mine? Any other general words of advice on keeping my SSD healthy?

Thanks much!

P
Jun 20, 2011, 07:00 AM

TRIM is a setup where the OS sends information on which blocks have been deleted to the drive firmware. No drives can replace that, but drives are more or less good at living without it. Drives based on the Sandforce 1200 controller work very well without TRIM, and suppliers of such drives recommend against using TRIM enabler. You will have to check with Kingston what they recommend.

Snow Leopard supports TRIM for Apple-supplied SSDs as of 10.6.7. What TRIM Enabler does is enable this support for all SSDs. Lion is rumored to enable TRIM for all drives, but I haven't seen any confirmations of that.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules