Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > My new ride [img heavy]

My new ride [img heavy]
WhaMe
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2004, 07:45 AM

I purchased a 2005 Saab 9-2X Aero yesterday and love it.

Here are a few photos

davidflas
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2004, 07:48 AM

Nice Ride! Adds the style that the Suburu version lacks Plus its nice to see someone from my neck of the woods on here. I live in Binghamton now, but am moving to Endicott(non-toxic plume area) on Sept 03
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

WhaMe  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2004, 07:54 AM

Originally posted by davidflas:
Nice Ride! Adds the style that the Suburu version lacks Plus its nice to see someone from my neck of the woods on here. I live in Binghamton now, but am moving to Endicott(non-toxic plume area) on Sept 03
Thanks!

I live over in Corning and Forno's in Endicott was the closet dealer. If you are ever in the market for a Saab, I would highly recommend them. It was the best car buying experience I've ever had.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2004, 07:55 AM

Both the car and the sig are really cool. Cool!

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2004, 07:58 AM

^^^ COOL DUDE! COOL? COOL!

specs plz
<some witty quote that identifies my originality as a person except for the fact everyone else does the same thing>

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2004, 08:20 AM

Looks nice! I hope you enjoy your new ride...

george68
Banned
Aug 18, 2004, 08:35 AM

You know, when I saw that car for the first time, I thought to myself, "Who the hell is going to spend an extra 5 grand to get a wrx with a saab front end slapped onto it?"

Well...... Now I know that at least one person fell for it. Nice car I'm sure, but I think the WRX is a faster, cheaper, better choice.

To each his own though, really..... but if you don't mind me asking, what swayed you to spend the extra 5 grand on the saabaru?

- Ca$h

george68
Banned
Aug 18, 2004, 08:36 AM

Also, just to keep things predictable, I believe there are some comments coming about you living in suburban hell, or something like that.

- Ca$h

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2004, 08:42 AM

Originally posted by george68:
You know, when I saw that car for the first time, I thought to myself, "Who the hell is going to spend an extra 5 grand to get a wrx with a saab front end slapped onto it?"
You must be asking youself a lot of questions while driving around then...

"Why buy a Lexus LX SUV when you can buy a Toyota LandCruiser cheaper?"

"Why buy the Mercury Mountaineer when you can save with the Ford Explorer?"

"Why buy Infiniti when you can buy Nissan and still pay over price?"

"Why buy Macintosh when a Windows box is cheaper?"

You can almost say the same thing about 90% of the cars on the road today in one way or another...

d.fine
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2004, 08:44 AM

Who wouldn't like it Congrats, & enjoy !

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2004, 08:45 AM

You have just given Ca$h 20 new posts.

george68
Banned
Aug 18, 2004, 09:58 AM

Originally posted by gorickey:
You must be asking youself a lot of questions while driving around then...

"Why buy a Lexus LX SUV when you can buy a Toyota LandCruiser cheaper?"
I would never buy an SUV, so this point is moot.

"Why buy the Mercury Mountaineer when you can save with the Ford Explorer?"
Ditto, but at least I know what you're talking about. I have no idea. It makes no sense to me why anybody would do this, it's the same ****ing vehicle.

"Why buy Infiniti when you can buy Nissan and still pay over price?"
Completely different. The Nissan 350Z is nothing like the G35 coupe, even though they share the same drivetrain and chassis. The G35 has a completely COMPLETELY different interior, and they do not share any sheet metal. This Saab looks EXACTLY like a WRX wagon, except for the front end, and the taillights.

"Why buy Macintosh when a Windows box is cheaper?"
Duh, because they run completely different ****ing operating systems you twit. A mac is not a regular old PC with a different face plate, it's a different OS, case, chip, etc etc etc.

- Ca$h

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2004, 10:00 AM

[B]I would never buy an SUV, so this point is moot.

[B]

Ditto, but at least I know what you're talking about. I have no idea. It makes no sense to me why anybody would do this, it's the same ****ing vehicle.

[B]

Completely different. The Nissan 350Z is nothing like the G35 coupe, even though they share the same drivetrain and chassis. The G35 has a completely COMPLETELY different interior, and they do not share any sheet metal. This Saab looks EXACTLY like a WRX wagon, except for the front end, and the taillights.

Duh, because they run completely different ****ing operating systems you twit. A mac is not a regular old PC with a different face plate, it's a different OS, case, chip, etc etc etc.

- Ca$h
The fact that you responded to each of those is priceless within itself...

milenko11
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 18, 2004, 10:11 AM

Also, the Saabaru doesn't handle as well as its WRX counterpart. It's cool they did it but as long as you don't care the WRX outperforms it in every category then go for it. It is one of the best performing Saabs. They should have made the sedan version. I can't seem to many people going for the wagon either. Subaru doesn't sell enough, thats why they are cheaper than the regular WRX.

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2004, 12:15 PM

nice station wagon... should have gone for the "woody" option

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2004, 12:35 PM

Very nice choice, congratulations. I think that color blue would be my choice also.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Aug 18, 2004, 12:52 PM

The front is cool minus that ricey air scoop on the hood.

"Hello, what have we here?

milenko11
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 18, 2004, 12:55 PM

First of all it's not ricey. It is very low profile and second of all it is functional! That scoop feeds air into the intercooler.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 18, 2004, 12:58 PM

I would have gotten the WRX.. hell.. I would have gotten the STi for the money.

UGH.
ice

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Aug 18, 2004, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by milenko11:
First of all it's not ricey. It is very low profile and second of all it is functional! That scoop feeds air into the intercooler.
It looks ricey to me. How do other cars get by without a rice scoop?

"Hello, what have we here?

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 18, 2004, 01:23 PM

Originally posted by Landos Mustache:
It looks ricey to me. How do other cars get by without a rice scoop?
because they don't have intercoolers sitting atop the engine. and therefore, if they're a similarly sized engine, they get left behind at the stoplight by the guy with the hoodscoop.

(they also hit a tree around the next corner, as they don't have AWD)

but in a strange twist of fate, the guy that has no turbo, no hooodscoop and no AWD has his hood impaled by a tree branch after the crash, thus making the ricey hood hole that you so desire.
ice

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 18, 2004, 01:27 PM

For the lazy, what are the actual differences between the saabaru and the WRX? Price, performance, interior?

thanks,
-matt

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 18, 2004, 01:45 PM

Originally posted by ratlater:
For the lazy, what are the actual differences between the saabaru and the WRX? Price, performance, interior?

thanks,
-matt
price, interior/exterior styling.

possibly, slightly, performance is lower on the Saab.. I think it's a lil heavier.
ice

george68
Banned
Aug 18, 2004, 01:47 PM

Originally posted by IceEnclosure:
because they don't have intercoolers sitting atop the engine. and therefore, if they're a similarly sized engine, they get left behind at the stoplight by the guy with the hoodscoop.

(they also hit a tree around the next corner, as they don't have AWD)

but in a strange twist of fate, the guy that has no turbo, no hooodscoop and no AWD has his hood impaled by a tree branch after the crash, thus making the ricey hood hole that you so desire.
I like fmic's better. They're more badass.

- Ca$h

agentz
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2004, 02:02 PM

Any chance of some interior piccies? Pretty please?
MI5 doesn't do evil. Just treachery, treason and armageddon.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 18, 2004, 02:13 PM

I like fmic's better. They're more badass.

- Ca$h
agreed.

ice

george68
Banned
Aug 18, 2004, 02:34 PM

Originally posted by agentz:
Any chance of some interior piccies? Pretty please?
Well this is a WRX interior, so imagine it only with Saab emblems.

- Rob

velodev
Senior User
Aug 18, 2004, 02:34 PM

- Ca$h [/B]
That's why I opted for a 350Z over the G35. I wanted a real coupe, a real sports coupe. Not a luxury sports coupe. I found that out after I was hypnotized into thinking the TL was a real "luxury sports coupe". It's FWD.

A lot of G35s hang out at our Z get-togethers and it's fine. But, when this past weekend a kid asked me where I installed my Valentine 1... I told him, and then finished with "But that can't help you because our cars are completely different when it comes to interiors."

This isn't my car, just a photo from one of the forums. Try relating the back hatch to the G35 coupe. It doesn't match.

SamuraiDL
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2004, 03:14 PM

dude that saab is a great car, it will last you a long time.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 18, 2004, 03:53 PM

Originally posted by SamuraiDL:
dude that saab is a great car, it will last you a long time.
yea. while i didn't mention it earlier..

rock on.. nice car
ice

george68
Banned
Aug 18, 2004, 04:03 PM

Originally posted by velodev:
That's why I opted for a 350Z over the G35. I wanted a real coupe, a real sports coupe. Not a luxury sports coupe. I found that out after I was hypnotized into thinking the TL was a real "luxury sports coupe". It's FWD.
Sure. I dig the 350z, it is a sweet car.... but I dig the G35 coupe even more. I love GTs... and my current ride, the SVX, well.... even though it's not the same marque, I find myself comparing the G35 coupe to the SVX. Both are quirky, pricey automobiles laden with luxury/techno options and have a sweet drivetrain, both are grand touring cars, and ... I dunno. I'm keeping my SVX for a long long long long time, but I'm definitely going to get a G35 coupe once they come down in price.... (5-10 years).

- Ca$h

milenko11
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 18, 2004, 05:18 PM

Front mounts are nicer (although more easily damaged) and look absolutely badass in black. "Nice radiator."

The Saabs interior is the same as the '05 WRX except with leather and a few panel changes. The price is $3-5k more (hitting STi range). The suspension is different so it rides better but doesn't handle as well. It also has optional 17" wheels and HID and other various small changes. The steering wheel is the same but with a saab emblem.

IceEnclosure summed up the TMIC part very nicely.

If I was looking to buy a 350z I'd definatly spend the extra money on the G35 coupe(The four door is ugly). I like the styling so much more even though the Z is a sexy car. I won't be in the market for either of these though because once my WRX is paid off in 2 years I will be trading it in for a similarly priced car that outperforms the Z/G35 in every category... a STi.

george68
Banned
Aug 18, 2004, 05:24 PM

If I was looking to buy a 350z I'd definatly spend the extra money on the G35 coupe(The four door is ugly). I like the styling so much more even though the Z is a sexy car. I won't be in the market for either of these though because once my WRX is paid off in 2 years I will be trading it in for a similarly priced car that outperforms the Z/G35 in every category... a STi.
STis are pretty nice, though I have a soft spot for the forester XT... . faster than a 350Z.... yet it's a stupid mundane looking station wagon. I'd have to drive one to see if I like the handling though. I have a feeling my very next car is either going to be a WRX sportwagon, or a mazda 3 wagon (older protege based). I like wagons!!!

- Rob

milenko11
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 18, 2004, 05:27 PM

The XT is pretty nice and if I needed a wagon I'd be all over it. I really like the new legacy. I hope they bring over the STi version of the Legacy to really compete with BMW and the likes. The interiors on those cars are the best Subaru has ever produced.

george68
Banned
Aug 18, 2004, 06:02 PM

The XT is pretty nice and if I needed a wagon I'd be all over it. I really like the new legacy. I hope they bring over the STi version of the Legacy to really compete with BMW and the likes. The interiors on those cars are the best Subaru has ever produced.
I don't know about that. The SVX has a pretty great interior, and ignoring the 'fake wood', it's pretty dang top notch. Suede. Leather. Great instrument cluster. Pretty quality everything, unlike most subies.

- Rob

WhaMe  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2004, 06:22 PM

I sure missed a lot when I was at work today.

I seriously considered both the WRX and the 9-2X Aero. (A few other cars were also considered, but didn't make it to the final round.) The Saab was the better choice for me for the following reasons:

As far as pricing goes, I qualify for GM's Supplier Discount Program, which is applicable to Saab's but not Subaru's. Also, Saab was offering a $3,000 rebate, while Subaru did not have any rebates on 05 models. This brought the price of the Saab to the same range as a comparably equipped WRX. So no, I wasn't spending 5 G's on Saab badges.

The Saab comes with a better warranty than the Subaru, as well as 2yr/24k mile scheduled maintenance. The Saab dealer also provides free loaner cars during servicing.

There was the issue of performance versus comfort to consider. While I wanted a sporty vehicle, for me, the quieter, softer ride of the Saab was worth the small sacrifice in 0-60 times over the WRX. On top of that, Car and Driver reported that they pulled 0.86 on the skidpad in the Saab versus 0.82 in their previous test of the WRX. (The Saab has a different suspension setup than the WRX.) In test driving both cars, I found that the Saab had plenty of power for my driving needs.

This led me to conclude that the Saab was the better choice for me.

For those who inquired, I will try to get some interior photos posted tonight.

Ca$h- As far as suburban hell goes, the pictures make things look worse than they are here. I live in a complex at the edge of a city in a rural area. This region is surrounded by wooded hills with winding roads that are perfect for this car. I have lived in Dallas and the LA Metro area, so I know what suburban hell is. As far as complex living goes, it is a temporary situation and much better than the grad student ghetto that I spent the last 5 years living in.

WhaMe  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2004, 06:45 PM

Interior photos:

george68
Banned
Aug 18, 2004, 09:30 PM

Originally posted by WhaMe:
As far as pricing goes, I qualify for GM's Supplier Discount Program, which is applicable to Saab's but not Subaru's. Also, Saab was offering a $3,000 rebate, while Subaru did not have any rebates on 05 models. This brought the price of the Saab to the same range as a comparably equipped WRX. So no, I wasn't spending 5 G's on Saab badges.

The Saab comes with a better warranty than the Subaru, as well as 2yr/24k mile scheduled maintenance. The Saab dealer also provides free loaner cars during servicing.
In that case, good choice! Didn't know about all the rebates/service/warranty.

- Ca$h

milhous
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2004, 10:24 PM

a silly question but i gotta ask, are saab ignitions still located on the center console near the shifter? if not, that's how long it's been since i was in a saab.

nice car, hope you like it.
F = ma

WhaMe  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2004, 10:36 PM

Originally posted by milhous:
a silly question but i gotta ask, are saab ignitions still located on the center console near the shifter? if not, that's how long it's been since i was in a saab.

nice car, hope you like it.
Yes and no. The 9-3 and 9-5 models, built by Saab, still have the ignition in the center console. The 9-2 is built by Subaru for Saab and has the ignition in the steering column. This is one of the problems that Saab purists have with the 9-2.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2004, 12:32 AM

Our 95 3000CD had the ignition on dash, i think they might have gone back to the old school in the more recent cars thou

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

WhaMe  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 19, 2004, 07:30 AM

In that case, good choice! Didn't know about all the rebates/service/warranty.

- Ca$h
I was able to change Ca$h's mind in a car related thread.

Game Over! I win!!!

Thanks for all of the compliments.

As far as the detractors go. I did my homework and made a decision that I am happy with.

As for those who asked for the specs:

Car and Driver test results

george68
Banned
Aug 19, 2004, 08:19 AM

I was able to change Ca$h's mind in a car related thread.

Game Over! I win!!!
I'm a fan of the WRX, it's cheap, reliable, and goes like stink. That said, I don't see why anybody would spend an extra 5 grand just to get different badges on the car. Seeing as how you didn't, it's all good.

- Ca$h

george68
Banned
Aug 19, 2004, 08:26 AM

I'm guessing that any WRX upgrade would bolt into this puppy.... so if you get bored, for under 1 grand you could be running 13s!!

- Ca$h

amsalpemkcus
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2004, 08:34 AM

I'm a fan of the WRX, it's cheap, reliable, and goes like stink. That said, I don't see why anybody would spend an extra 5 grand just to get different badges on the car. Seeing as how you didn't, it's all good.
- Ca$h
obviously, you are shortsighted. with all those air intakes that saabaru could take in a turbojet engine far in the future!

milenko11
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 19, 2004, 10:07 AM

I'm guessing that any WRX upgrade would bolt into this puppy.... so if you get bored, for under 1 grand you could be running 13s!!

- Ca$h
More than likely. I don't know if they used Subarus ECU or if they changed it or used a completely different one. I'm guessing because the hp and trq specs are the exact same they are using the same ECU which would be great.

WhaMe  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 19, 2004, 12:10 PM

Originally posted by amsalpemkcus:
obviously, you are shortsighted. with all those air intakes that saabaru could take in a turbojet engine far in the future!
"They are speed holes. They make the car go faster."

george68
Banned
Aug 19, 2004, 06:32 PM

I like it. I read the full review, seems like I'd rather have that car over a WRX. However, I don't get a Gm discount, and I wouldn't really pay much more for it over a WRX, since they're basically the same, but the increased sound deadening and STi steering rack are two really big pluses!!!! Very cool. You've changed my mind. In a few years, I think I might look for a used 9-2 Aero instead of a WRX wagon. As long as it's cheap.

- Rob

brapper
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2004, 06:48 PM

I purchased a 2005 Saab 9-2X Aero yesterday and love it.

Here are a few photos

nicely done.
I'd like to get me one of them.
currently im driving a 9 5

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2004, 08:30 PM

I like it. I read the full review, seems like I'd rather have that car over a WRX. However, I don't get a Gm discount, and I wouldn't really pay much more for it over a WRX, since they're basically the same, but the increased sound deadening and STi steering rack are two really big pluses!!!! Very cool. You've changed my mind. In a few years, I think I might look for a used 9-2 Aero instead of a WRX wagon. As long as it's cheap.

- Rob
I must be dreaming! Ca$h, saying good things about a GM car?? I dont believe it!

;-)
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

Forum Links
Forum Rules