Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 2.4 24" iMac

2.4 24" iMac
donclarkjr
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2007, 12:20 AM

Man let me just start off by saying I just got this 2.4 iMac 2 weeks ago and going from a 1.66 core duo mini its like night and day difference. Plus Friday I just got in 4 gigs of ram for it and I would have never thought the difference that would make. I love the speed of this machine and how much faster it is then the maxed out mini I had. If anyone is on the fence about upping the memory to 4 gigs I would highly recommend it. Thought I would just let you all know how much happier I am with my set up. I also love the new look of the iMac it looks really good with the new silver ipod. One thing though who thinks they should have made the scrol wheel of the silver ipod black to match the imac? That to me would look perfect.

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 27, 2007, 01:44 AM

Did you run your iMac with less than 4 gigs to get a sense of the difference? I'm running 2 gigs, and one day, I'll boost it just because I can, but I wonder how much a real world difference it would make. I know I can see specs on some testing sites, but I prefer numbers that tell me how many seconds are saved, etc.

I'm glad you like your iMac. I have the same model, and I love it. A black and silver iPod would also be cool.

bbales
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2007, 09:03 AM

I have the same iMac and I was just thinking how, 6 or so weeks after getting it, that I have NO buyer's remorse. I love it. I had gone back and forth about whether to get that or a tower, (which I hoped Apple would offer a lower-end one of) and was eagerly awaiting the new iMacs. I waited to see one in a store (glossy screen had me concerned); bought a 24-inch off the shelf, so to speak and took it home. My only complaint, really, is that I'm short and the top of the screen is pretty high. But, as a friend of mine predicted, I got used to it.

I bought just one GB of RAM and then purchased a 2 GB stick, which I regret to say I haven't installed yet. It makes that much of a difference, huh? OK, time to get around to putting it in...

donclarkjr  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2007, 09:35 AM

AC Rempt- Yeah I ran it for about a week with the factory 1gig of ram. I knew I was going to be putting more ram in it so I didnt waste my money and buy extra from Apple.

bbales- I would install that as soon as you get a chance, it only takes maybe 2 mins to install. As for the screen I have been using a glossy laptop for the last year and knew what to expect, though I might have a different opinion but I would rather have the glossy screen since I am not a photographer or anyone who needs exact colors. Heck I wont lie I am slighty green color blind anyway.

cclaud3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2007, 08:30 PM

I have the 2.8 at work, which is being used as our main production computer (small/medium sized print shop). I got it about a week after it was announced with 1 GB ram. I just installed the 4 GB today and noticed that the computer booted up a lot faster. Give me another month with the ram increase and I can tell you how the 4 GBs is doing. I constantly go between Indesign, Photoshop & Illustrator. Obviously, with all the back and forth, I got spinning beach balls before (and noticed a few today)--but I'll see if the frequency decreases. I'll let everyone know.

casey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2007, 07:43 AM

Hi guys I have the same computer with 2 gigs of ram,this is my first mac and I love it already,I had been wondering about the 4 gigs if I should get it or not?

bearcatrp
Senior User
Sep 28, 2007, 08:00 AM

A good gage to use is after using some programs, check activity monitor and look at your page ins/outs. If your outs are more than 10 percent of the ins, upgrade to more ram. Those page outs means that data is being written to virtual memory (the hard disk again) which slows down the computer. I have the 1st gen 24 inch iMac with 2gb ram and see mine climb when video editing. One of the reasons I bought a refurb mac pro. Otherwise, the iMac handles pretty much anything I use.
Randy
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

donclarkjr  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2007, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by bbales View Post
I have the same iMac and I was just thinking how, 6 or so weeks after getting it, that I have NO buyer's remorse. I love it. I had gone back and forth about whether to get that or a tower, (which I hoped Apple would offer a lower-end one of) and was eagerly awaiting the new iMacs. I waited to see one in a store (glossy screen had me concerned); bought a 24-inch off the shelf, so to speak and took it home. My only complaint, really, is that I'm short and the top of the screen is pretty high. But, as a friend of mine predicted, I got used to it.

I bought just one GB of RAM and then purchased a 2 GB stick, which I regret to say I haven't installed yet. It makes that much of a difference, huh? OK, time to get around to putting it in...
Let me know what you think after you install the ram.

Jerry

kf4wm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2007, 01:58 PM

If I buy an Imac with i gig ram can I add another sim of 2 gigs or must the sims match in size? That is, can I work with 3 gigs>>>
Jack

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2007, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by kf4wm View Post
If I buy an Imac with i gig ram can I add another sim of 2 gigs or must the sims match in size? That is, can I work with 3 gigs>>>
Yes, you can.

Forum Links
Forum Rules