Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Will Replacing MacBook HD Invalidate AppleCare?

Will Replacing MacBook HD Invalidate AppleCare?
Nergol
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 6, 2008, 04:22 AM

So; the 80GB hard drive in my MacBook is starting to feel a little small. I have extended AppleCare, with one year left to go, which is a little long to wait to buy something bigger. I know that replacing your own RAM won't invalidate your warranty - but will replacing your own hard drive do so?

Thanks.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 6, 2008, 04:32 AM

No. The MB HDD is a user-replaceable part. It is quite easy to do as you can see here.

The new disk obviously won't be covered by AC and if you break something while swapping the disks it's not covered either. But if you simply swap disks the rest of your MB is still covered just as before.

Ozz_man
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2008, 09:41 AM

Just don't sell or lose your original so you can put it back in in case you need to send the unit back to Apple

charlespsu
Jul 22, 2008, 09:36 PM

I do wish we had extra drive bays like Thinkpads.....

Etnier
Forum Regular
Jul 25, 2008, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Ozz_man View Post
Just don't sell or lose your original so you can put it back in in case you need to send the unit back to Apple
Apple has repeatedly repaired my Powerbooks with third-party drive or RAM in place without a word. I was -asked- about this on intake ("do you have a 3rd-party drive in place?") and they just fixed the real problem without squibbling.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 25, 2008, 08:15 PM

The hard drive is considered a "user accessible" part, and so any changes you make in what drive you have installed won't affect your AppleCare at all.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

chichow
Forum Regular
Jul 27, 2008, 12:51 AM

I had apple related centers replace parts for me in Taiwan and was never questioned when back in the USA.

The USA Apple stores never asked even on ibook G4 if the hard drive was original or not...

Forum Links
Forum Rules