Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 1TB Drive: Samsung SpinPoint Or WD Caviar Blue?

1TB Drive: Samsung SpinPoint Or WD Caviar Blue?
Nergol
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 31, 2012, 04:48 PM

So I bought an OWC Data Doubler for my MacBook Pro, which already has an SSD as its main drive. I want to put a 1TB drive in the Data Doubler, and since it's not my main drive, a 5400 RPM drive is fine. It looks like my choices for that are the WD Caviar Blue or the Samsung SpinPoint - both of which are similarly priced, and both of which have pretty good reviews on Amazon.

So does anyone have any recommendations about which one is the better way to go?

ibook_steve
Jan 31, 2012, 05:34 PM

I don't have either, but I trust the reviews on Newegg more than those on Amazon. From those reviews, it seems to me that 1 TB 2.5" drives are not yet ready for primetime. I've started looking at the 750 GB drives. If anyone else does have a 1 TB drive, I'd be interested as well.

And what do you think of the Data Doubler? Worth it?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2012, 07:29 PM

I fitted a Samsung HM100UI to my MBP. Its 12.5mm so I had to install it in the main bay and move primary WD 640GB to the optical bay.

Its flaky though. I pulled it from an external drive where it was encrypted and had lost data but sadly it failed after only a couple of weeks.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Nergol  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 31, 2012, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
I don't have either, but I trust the reviews on Newegg more than those on Amazon. From those reviews, it seems to me that 1 TB 2.5" drives are not yet ready for primetime. I've started looking at the 750 GB drives. If anyone else does have a 1 TB drive, I'd be interested as well.
Really? I mean, the Newegg reviews I saw seem to be pretty positive. Here's the one on the Samsung:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...scrollFullInfo

And the WD:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...scrollFullInfo

And what do you think of the Data Doubler? Worth it?

Steve
I haven't installed it, as I don't have a drive for it yet (the 320GB hard drive that came with my MBP got repurposed into a Foxconn nettop in my living room), but everyone I know who has it is happy with it.
( Last edited by Nergol; Jan 31, 2012 at 08:27 PM. )

cgc
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2012, 08:28 PM

I've been running a pair of 640GB Western Digital Blue drives with no issues for about 1.5 - 2 years.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 31, 2012, 10:42 PM

I vote for Samsung. Contrary to cgc's experience the only 2 WDs I had crapped out pretty soon after I bought them. In fact Samsung and Toshiba are my go to brands. Stocked up on them before the Thailand disaster raised prices.

P
Feb 1, 2012, 05:56 AM

I have had problems with a 2006 Samsung Spinpoint that on occasion just decided to drop offline in the middle of an operation (this was a Windows box). Moving it to a different SATA controller fixed it for a few months, but then it got caught up in that same loop - at which point I had to open the box and move it back to the first controller again. I kept this up for years, never quite getting annoying enough to replace the drive. I've been wary of Samsung drives ever since.

I've had one WD drive die on me, but SMART warned me about it in time and their support generated an RMA almost before I asked for one.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

cgc
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2012, 07:13 AM

I bet almost all mainstream brand name HDDs are going to be fine.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 1, 2012, 10:26 PM

If you go to both Amazon and Newegg you'll find reviews, a lot of them, making them statistically relevant.

euphras
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2012, 01:10 PM

Brands i had in my `Books and external cases over the years:

-IBM Travelstar 40 GB: failed after three years in a foreseeable manner (clicking sound of death, was able to clone everything to an external case before final crash)
- Samsung Spinpoint 60 GB: failed catastrophically after four years, no chance to clone something
- Samsung Spinpoint HM060HC: still runs fine after seven years.
- Toshiba MK4021GAS: still runs fine after nine years
- Toshiba MK1017GAP: still runs fine after eleven years
- Fujitsu MHV2060AH 60 GB: still runs fine after seven years
- Western Digital 1200BEVE-00WZT0 120 GB: still runs fine after three years

My personal conclusion is: you can get a melon or an enduring, stable product from every major brand out there. It just depends on so many variables and one of them seems to be luck.

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

ibook_steve
Feb 2, 2012, 02:20 PM

It's sad that in 2012, hard disk technology has not advanced enough to make your purchase based on anything but "luck." Obviously, some type of non-moving storage (i.e. SSD) will eventually overtake the traditional spinning disk, but for now, I freak out with every new disk I buy that it can fail at any time.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Nergol  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2012, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by jmiddel View Post
If you go to both Amazon and Newegg you'll find reviews, a lot of them, making them statistically relevant.
Some people I know say to throw out the five-star and one-star reviews and pay attention to what the middle has to say.

Forum Links
Forum Rules