Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport with self-assigned IP address

Airport with self-assigned IP address
Dacicle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 19, 2004, 10:16 AM

My brother received his iBook G4 yesterday, and among other things, we've been having trouble with getting his Airport to co-operate with the wireless network.

The advantage we had was that I had a PowerBook G3 with an Airport, and it could connect to the network. So all we had to do was compare the settings and everything would be fine. This is what I encountered:

On my PowerBook, in the network settings, the Airport selection has a green light beside it.

On his iBook, there is a yellow light. It says: "This Airport has a self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to the internet."

So, the laptop is perfectly able to connect to the network, but the problems lie in these facts:

The router doesn't recognize the laptop as connected, even when the laptop is in fact connected. (This is true even when the laptop is plugged into the router directly, using a cable)

The laptop is perfectly capable of logging into the router's settings (192.168.0.1)

Lastly, the AirPort doesn't have the same subnet mask as my PowerBook, and it has not yet recognized an IP (namely, 192.168.0.1) for the router

Any help is appreciated, Thanks.

Dacicle  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 19, 2004, 11:43 AM

Update:

I manually configured the Airport and gave it a Router IP and a different IP for itself. The subnet mask is correct now, and in the network connections it says the Airport is able to accept an internet connection (meaning it now perfectly resembles the PowerBook), however the internet still won't work. I searched the forum for similar problems and found a person who had the exact same problem (here) but it wasn't resolved.

Does anyone have any ideas?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 19, 2004, 01:09 PM

First, a possible workaround: if you assign the iBook manual IP settings (within the proper private IP range), will it work?

Have you checked to see if there's a newer firmware for your router? If you're already running the latest, have you tried reverting to an older version?

By the way, the likely reason that the iBook G4 can't connect, but the PowerBook G3 can is that the iBook has Airport Extreme, while the PowerBook has regular Airport.

tooki

Dacicle  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 19, 2004, 03:16 PM

With regard to your first suggestion, I assigned it: 192.168.0.17 when I did the aforementioned actions. No such luck.

The problem is, the decision to install the network was made by one other than myself, and they made the horrible decision to ask Comcast (my ISP) to set up the network. The result is a proprietary router that is the spawn of a Comcast/Linksys get together, labeled "Comcast Home Networking"

So if there were firmware updates for it, I wouldn't know where to get them.

Recently:
If I move to set my PowerBook G3 network settings manually, everything stays the same except for the IP which switches to 0.0.0.0. I assumed it did this because it needs the router to assign it an IP, so I set the iBook similarly, however to no avail.

Edit:
the model for my router is: BEFCMUH4 but I can't find anything on the linksys website about it.
( Last edited by Dacicle; Jun 19, 2004 at 03:26 PM. )

gomariners
Jun 19, 2004, 04:15 PM

This probably won't work, but this situation sometimes happens to me. I don't understand the details of it, but when I have a computer plugged directly into the cable modem (is it a cable modem or dsl or something else?). Anyway, when I have a computer plugged into the cable modem and switch to a router, sometimes the modem won't give the router a new IP. This also sometimes happens if I plug a new computer into the modem, too.

What ends up working is a full power cycle. I don't know if the order is important, but turn off your cable modem, unplug your cable modem from the power supply (not just the power supply from the wall) and from the base station, and leave it like this for a couple of minutes. Then power it back up and plug it back into the router.

At this point it will either work or, more likely, you will wonder why you wasted even a few minutes on this idea.

Still, it works for me when I have this problem and it fixed my mom's computer so may as well try...

EDIT: And, natch, you'll set everything to DHCP.

Dacicle  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 19, 2004, 07:34 PM

I called comcast and they told me to call linksys. After holding for 26 minutes, they told me there were no firmware updates for the model number I provided. I tried the "full power cycle" suggested in the previous post but it was fruitless. I honestly don't know what to do anymore.

Forum Links
Forum Rules