Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Student looking to purchase a Powerbook

Student looking to purchase a Powerbook
IronMentality
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2004, 07:18 PM

Hi. I am going to be a Freshman in College and am going to purchase a Powerbook for school. I can currently get the educational discount + the Cram and Jam $200 mail-in rebate with the iPod and of course... buying the Powerbook.

Now, I am really confused. After reading the forums/searching extensively, I would appreciate if anyone could help answer these questions:

- I've read here and there that most US stores have discounted the latest revision of there Powerbooks and that they don't expect to sell anymore of those revisions. This has to mean there is a better Powerbook coming out soon? (99% says not a G5, but a Dual-G4 or a better G4 processor)

- Does anyone have any credible source of a estimated date for a new revision of a PB?

I am just looking to get the 15.2" Widescreen, I would appreciate any answers as soon as possible... If I want to buy a PB I want it to be the latest revision for the money.

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2004, 07:30 PM

I haven't heard of any major discounts on current models, since they've only been out for about 4 months. But check a site like www.macprices.com to see current deals.

As for the next revision, who knows? http://buyersguide.macrumors.com is good for tracking trends, but you never know exactly what will happen. I personally think the next rev. will be later in the fall (Oct?).

Just remember that there are always better computers and tech on the horizon. If the current models do what you need then to, and are available at a price you can afford, then buy it.

ojnihs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2004, 07:55 PM

Hey,

I bought a powerbook last year as a freshman in college, and like 3 months after the new models came not. No biggie, that's the way it is with technology as you know. Your model is obsolete before you know it.

Anyways, I think it's a bit earlier for a Powerbook update as well, so you can wait it out or you can get one now. I'd probably get one right now because having a laptop in college is pretty important, not only for school, but also if you want to do other stuff on your free time.

azdude
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2004, 07:59 PM

Even 4 months into a product cycle, I'd still excitedly advise "Buy!"... especially to a student whose needs are 1) Average to mid-high computing power and 2) high value

The current Powerbooks are incredible machines, and with Cram & Jam, the iPod deal can't be passed up... It's awesome. Either use it (recommended), or sell it and consider it an additional $230 or so discount.

Again... go for it- you won't regret it.

Disclaimer: Ok... I'm a bit weird. Whenever the next Powerbooks come out, I'll be smiling for Apple's sake, but still be completely happy with the purchase I just bought (1 Month ago?). I won't be bitter, angry, or feel "cheated." I love my Powerbook, and will continue to do so in the future regardless of advanced in technology and/or price drops. I recognize that this is not the normal behavior of a Mac user who buys items mid-product-cycle. Take my advice for what you will.
17" 2.33GHz C2D MacBook Pro / 320GB / 2GB

IronMentality  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2004, 08:18 PM

Another thing... the SuperDrive edition just offers a little more speed and an illuminated keyboard? No other perks for the price?

Maayan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2004, 09:44 PM

A dual G4? MAN. That is the lamest of the lame... and here I was, all ready to show off my "latest" 17" Powerbook to the masses (it's a Rev. B, but the Rev. C's aren't that much better, really).

And, as a fellow student, I strongly recommend that you get an iBook. SO MUCH BETTER for lugging around campus. So... much... better.

strokemouth
Aug 30, 2004, 10:11 PM

I would rather carry my 15" PB around campus than my 14" iBook. There isn't much of a weight difference, but the thinner PB makes for more room in the backpack. It's a different story for the 17" PB, but I don't think I've met anyone yet that bought one for its portability.
15" PB/1.5 GHz/1.25GB RAM
40GB iPod Photo

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2004, 11:59 PM

Get the PowerBook. There's always better product around the corner, that's how the market works.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2004, 12:57 AM

Yes. Get the PowerBook. iBooks are nice but you can't compare it to a PowerBook. That's like comparing a Toyota Camry to a Lexus LS430. Yes, they're both nice and dependable. But you get what you pay for.

IronMentality  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2004, 01:29 AM

Is there another revision coming or not though? I'd like anyone to comment on this issue if they can...

anamexis
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2004, 01:34 AM

If only anyone could answer this question with any authority. Or rather: yes, they are coming, but we have no idea when. (Maybe this fall, and if not, maybe at MWSF in January.)

IronMentality  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2004, 11:37 AM

Also, if anyone with expertise in fixing Powerbooks could answer this question... How often do dead pixels occur in the LCD screen?

I read one about a red dead pixel in the middle of the screen being unable to fix... (that would seem a little annoying to me) even more annoying so Apple wouldn't repair or replace the LCD.

IronMentality  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2004, 11:50 AM

One more question. If another revision PB with a more powerful G4 CPU were to come out a little bit after I purchased the current one, would I be able to take out say the 1.33 ghz CPU and put in a 2ghz one with no worries?

sketch
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2004, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by IronMentality:
If another revision PB with a more powerful G4 CPU were to come out a little bit after I purchased the current one, would I be able to take out say the 1.33 ghz CPU and put in a 2ghz one with no worries?
I was at an Apple store 2 days ago and asked a similar question (if the CPU was upgradable) and I was told it wasn't (that was for the PowerBook G4 17")
Switcher here! PowerBook G4 1.67 avec 2GB ram. Running 10.3.9.

IronMentality  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2004, 04:05 PM

Can any current PB users offer any experience with dealing with dead pixels or the likeliness of getting a dead pixel with your LCD?

For spending thousands of dollars, I'd be pretty upset if I received one.

IronMentality  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2004, 06:12 PM

Also, what are the odds or likeliness of me spending over 2 grand on a Powerbook and then receiving a Dead Pixel? I've read horror stories of AppleCare not fixing a LCD with one or many?...

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 1, 2004, 12:08 AM

I have s stuck sub pixel that's about 2mm from the edge of the right side of the screen. Other than that, my powerbook is flawless. I never even noticed the pixel until I played a game and the loading screen was all black and there was a tiny little blue thing on the very edge... right now i'm looking for it on my (non blue) desktop and can't find it...
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2004, 06:08 AM

how bad do you need the powerbook? If you can wait .. wait .. if you want INSTANT GRATIFICATION + CRAM AND JAM 200 BUX ... Grab it now ... we all love ours and you will too .. whether you buy one now .. or wait for the next model.

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

IronMentality  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2004, 11:13 AM

What is a fairly good estimate of the next revision coming out?

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 01:29 PM

no one knows. it could be light years away, it could be tomorrow. probably after the cram and jam is over however.
iamwhor3hay

Maclomaniac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2004, 02:20 PM

I would buy it now. The Cram and Jam discount, which Apple gave last summer as well, is by far the best discount given all year, and it ends in about a month, right?

And no one can give you a definite date as to when the next revision is coming out. Even if someone said they knew and gave you a date, they could be completely making it up, or just be giving you a guess. The only real rule I live by in terms of revisions and buying is: don't buy anything new right before a major expo, where Apple traditionally announces new products...

As far as the dead pixel debate, Apple will generally replace LCD screens depending on where the pixels are located and how many there are. If you have one dead pixel, but it's in a corner, don't count on them replacing it. If it's in the very center, you have a better shot. Of course, there are no steadfast rules. Go to an Apple retail store, make a big enough stink, and you'll probably get what you want. You won't make any friends with the Mac Genius staff though, who can make decisions in terms of what you get for what price in the future...
15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 1 GB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD
20 GB 4th Gen. iPod

"Never ask a man what kind of computer he drives. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If not, why embarrass him?" -Tom Clancy

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2004, 02:26 PM

Test the waters with savings from the cram and jam. sell the ipod if u dont need it for a bigger discount. if they update, sell on ebay =P

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

IronMentality  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2004, 06:23 PM

I think I am going to do Cram and Jam but the problem is that I can only buy 1 Powerbook per 1 Educational year with the discount. That's why I was so worried and wanted to make sure I got the most for my money... and of course longer product life.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 06:41 PM

i'm sure the laptop will at least last you less than a year until next july?
iamwhor3hay

IronMentality  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2004, 10:01 PM

Oh I know, but I'd rather get the discount on a better revision obviously

Forum Links
Forum Rules