Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Question about Airport Card

Question about Airport Card
IronMentality
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2004, 12:23 PM

We have a wireless network in our house, using the 2Wire DSL/Router Modem. If I purchase an Airport Card, will it be able to pick up the signal thereby letting me use our wireless network?

Or do I have to buy a 3rd Party card to do so since the Airport requires an Airport Base Station?

Sod Off Sadr
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: I sent hundreds of followers to their deaths. Then I cut and ran. Now I'm livin' large somewhere in Najaf.
Sep 2, 2004, 05:01 PM

Originally posted by IronMentality:
We have a wireless network in our house, using the 2Wire DSL/Router Modem. If I purchase an Airport Card, will it be able to pick up the signal thereby letting me use our wireless network?

Or do I have to buy a 3rd Party card to do so since the Airport requires an Airport Base Station?
it does NOT require an airport base station!

what type of mac are you using, and what type of wireless network--a, b, or g?
You heard me! Sod off, Sadr!

IronMentality  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2004, 07:24 PM

The 2Wire HomePortal uses "HyperG" technology for our home network. I would assume the Airport g frequency is compatible with that.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 2, 2004, 08:43 PM

Check with 2Wire's tech support web site-their "HyperG" technology could be a proprietary means of getting more than 54Mbps out of an 802.11g network. If it's just their name for 802.11g (like AirPort Extreme is Apple's name for it), then you should be fine.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules