Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > you want popup folders? You got 'em!

you want popup folders? You got 'em!
bseely
Sep 19, 2000, 11:39 PM

Do you, like me, have all sorts of popup folders lined up along the bottom of your MacOS9 screen and you already miss them in OSX?

Try this cool little trick:

Navigate to your OS 9 volume, go into the system folder, and double-click on the Finder.

It's just a regular old classic app, so it should launch, and voila, you've got your popups!!

Let me know how this works for you.

Blake

bseely  (op)
Sep 19, 2000, 11:42 PM

And for an even neater trick, set the finder as one of your startup applications. That way, your popups (and actually ANYTHING in the old Finder) will be at your fingertips at every launch.

This probably isn't a great long-term solution, but until everybody gets used to OS X or Apple wakes up and realizes that they put popup folders in there for a reason, this should do.

bseely

Squidgy
Sep 19, 2000, 11:49 PM

Wouldn't this launch the Finder into the Classic environment, so the finder would appear in an application window?

Have you done this with OS X PB or is this conjecture?

------------------
Ken A.

Mac user since '84
- Ken A.

ndpatel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2000, 12:55 AM

sorry kids--this DOES NOT work in the public beta. clicking on the os 9 finder app simply launches classic, nothing more. clicking on it again restarts classic, booting the os 9 image anew.

good idea, but it looks as though the vagaries of classic will not allow it.

mkrueger
Sep 20, 2000, 05:43 AM

I just tried this in OSX Public Beta and it worked great.

Nice trick :-)

Only problem is interference between my pop up folders and the dock. Is there a way to move the dock to the right side of the screen instead of the bottom?

Also, I can't seem to drag documents onto my pop-up folders.

bseely  (op)
Sep 20, 2000, 10:35 AM

Actually, I'm using this trick again right now, so I know for a fact that it DOES work.

I have a feeling drag and drop between OS X finder windows and OS 9 finder windows probably won't work, but put an alias to each of your hard drives in an OS 9 finder window, and that way you'll be able to open OS 9 finder windows for ANYTHING on your machine, and be able to drop and drop that way.

bseely

Forum Links
Forum Rules