Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > COD: Black Ops thread

COD: Black Ops thread (Page 10)
sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2010, 06:53 PM

Ok, something is seriously borked with the matchmaking.

I've never seen so many half-full lobbies, games ending early, and being put into lobbies by myself as I did today.

What gives?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 7, 2010, 08:45 PM

Not sure, but I spotted a thread today on the COD forums complaining about how lobbies will never fill back up, so I was right that it's not just us.

As an aside, Jawbone and I had a lovely meeting in TDM and I'll be posting a video of it when it finishes rendering.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2010, 09:03 PM

So, never? I've given up with the Theater mode.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 7, 2010, 09:05 PM

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2010, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
As an aside, Jawbone and I had a lovely meeting in TDM and I'll be posting a video of it when it finishes rendering.
Whaaaa? When was that?

If you hopped into a match I was in, I never noticed.

[EDIT] BAHAHAHAHA... I recall the moment vividly. I had no idea it was you.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2010, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
So, never? I've given up with the Theater mode.
I have three videos that I've been waiting on for over a week. Nothing...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 8, 2010, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Whaaaa? When was that?

If you hopped into a match I was in, I never noticed.

I was in the next match when everyone but me on my tea got shellacked on Array.

Two notes:
1. I seriously thought you got off scott-free, but as I respawned you triggered the Claymore at the very last split-second possible.
2. I didn't realize when you go to apply war paint you say to yourself: "What can I do to look more like the Joker's female side-kick?"

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 8, 2010, 11:49 AM

I have three videos that I've been waiting on for over a week. Nothing...
Another two notes: Render them one at a time (i.e., wait til one shows up on YouTube before doing the next), and if it doesn't appear within 24 hours, it never will.

I've been lucky but Treyarch's forums are full of posts saying the Theater isn't working.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2010, 12:03 PM

Hopefully having fileshare will get some guys kicked.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2010, 12:39 PM

I was in the next match when everyone but me on my tea got shellacked on Array.
I can't believe I never noticed, but when I'm running solo, I almost never pay attention to the names.

1. I seriously thought you got off scott-free, but as I respawned you triggered the Claymore at the very last split-second possible.
Thus goes my Black Ops life.

2. I didn't realize when you go to apply war paint you say to yourself: "What can I do to look more like the Joker's female side-kick?"
I vacillate between that one and the Papa Shango-ish version. Thanks a lot for making me self-conscious about my war paint. I just know I'm not going back to the plain 'stache.

Actually, screw you...I'm keeping my Crow/Joker look.

Another two notes: Render them one at a time (i.e., wait til one shows up on YouTube before doing the next), and if it doesn't appear within 24 hours, it never will.
Fantastic.

They'd better be glad they slapped that "beta" tag on the site.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 8, 2010, 12:44 PM

I can't believe I never noticed, but when I'm running solo, I almost never pay attention to the names.
I'm always scanning the lobby, judging, waiting.

Thanks a lot for making me self-conscious about my war paint.
That's what imaginary internet friends are for.

Actually, screw you...I'm keeping my Crow/Joker look.
There's the right answer, Harley.

Is it me, or does the football facepaint make the dude look like Big Ben? Which is almost a great connotation in terms of XBOX Live trolling.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2010, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Hopefully having fileshare will get some guys kicked.
I've never understood the type of gamer that gets their jollies out of crap like this. Worthy of an instant ban.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2010, 12:50 PM

I'm always scanning the lobby, judging, waiting.
...creeping.

Is it me, or does the football facepaint make the dude look like Big Ben? Which is almost a great connotation in terms of XBOX Live trolling.

It's not just you.

It's like he's scanning the bar, judging, waiting...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 8, 2010, 12:53 PM

...creeping.
I need to change my gamertag to Ceiling Cat.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 8, 2010, 02:39 PM

It's worth noting almost every game starts like that for me on that spawn. After a minute some guy who avoided my claymore instead goes down the stairs, which I hear and then peg him from behind and run away like a little girl from the crime scene.

I don't think I'd have killed you either way, but you scared the bejesus out me (only after viewing the film did I understand why i hadn't spotted you earlier), and an ACOG burst-fire weapon was about the least ideal weapon for that situation.

Also: Love the propped elbows corpse pose.

---

So... thoughts on the Motion Sensor? I found out how it works last night, and I'm not entirely happy. It working through walls seems kinda broken (if not illogical – this isn't Batman's helmet vision), especially on smallish maps.

It guess now every WTF death I get can be blamed on this. Still, no complaints on the CoD forums, so I probably shouldn't overreact over a couple of games. Gives me a reason to reconsider using Hacker.

---

I finally identified the weapon I kept dying to that was driving me nuts: The Galil, silenced to be exact. If anyone here uses the FAMAS with any regularity, give this thing a try. It's less powerful up close, but thanks to a slower rate of fire, its recoil is gentler in mid-range situations. I've only used it a few times, but I could see it having a permanent place in my classes. As an added bonus, I feel like the iron sights are much more usable than the FAMAS, so no need to use Warlord if you go silenced.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2010, 02:48 PM

I don't think I'd have killed you either way, but you scared the bejesus out me (only after viewing the film did I understand why i hadn't spotted you earlier)
I'm actually usually horrible within 10'. I've said this before, but most of my kills come from med/long range. The fact that I actually pulled off the kill was reason enough to celebrate.

Also: Love the propped elbows corpse pose.
The head swaggle is hilarious. I've watched it four times just for that part.

So... thoughts on the Motion Sensor? I found out how it works last night, and I'm not entirely happy. It working through walls seems kinda broken (if not illogical – this isn't Batman's helmet vision), especially on smallish maps.

It guess now every WTF death I get can be blamed on this. Still, no complaints on the CoD forums, so I probably shouldn't overreact over a couple of games. Gives me a reason to reconsider using Hacker.
I haven't really noticed it as an issue, but I've considered using Hacker anyways, but not until I prestige. I plan on playing as long as humanly possible tonight to pull it off. I've had two out-of-town photography trips this last week that robbed me of all my gaming time.

I finally identified the weapon I kept dying to that was driving me nuts: The Galil, silenced to be exact. If anyone here uses the FAMAS with any regularity, give this thing a try. It's less powerful up close, but thanks to a slower rate of fire, its recoil is gentler in mid-range situations. I've only used it a few times, but I could see it having a permanent place in my classes. As an added bonus, I feel like the iron sights are much more usable than the FAMAS, so no need to use Warlord if you go silenced.
I haven't touched it yet, but I definitely will after this post. I've been trying out the AK-47, but the recoil has been a major problem. Thought about going back to FAL.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 8, 2010, 05:34 PM

The head swaggle is hilarious. I've watched it four times just for that part.
I enjoy that I'm so full-on into my sprint that I'm well past you before either on of us reacts.

I haven't touched it yet, but I definitely will after this post. I've been trying out the AK-47, but the recoil has been a major problem. Thought about going back to FAL.
I think your issue is with the full autos, then, as its not any better or worse than anything else. Really, on most weapons you can't hold the trigger down for more than a full second before the recoil completely overcomes your aim (Stationary).

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2010, 05:52 PM

I enjoy that I'm so full-on into my sprint that I'm well past you before either on of us reacts.
What seems like an eternity on that video seemed like split-seconds in gametime (I'd really like to believe this).

But yeah, we both wound up looking like 'tards.

I think your issue is with the full autos, then, as its not any better or worse than anything else. Really, on most weapons you can't hold the trigger down for more than a full second before the recoil completely overcomes your aim (Stationary).
Exactly, which is probably the biggest reason I loved the 3-round burst FAMAS in MW2. Add in the extended mags on the AK-47, and I'm spraying bullets up a 90-degree plane.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 8, 2010, 05:58 PM

That's what makes my spaz sessions with the Stoner so epic. I get a couple hit markers and when the third mysteriously doesn't connect I start spraying left-right, left right in desperation, hoping to locate/penetrate to the player, deathly paranoid that should I let up, the player (and their likely magical connection) will immediately jump on the break in fire and demolish me before I can react. With 60 bullets in the magazine, this can last for quite a few seconds.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2010, 05:50 AM

I seem to get killed lots by Galil users, but I can't make it work for me. It seems to take too long to Aim compared to the AK-47 and the Aug. Its OK in hardcore because I hardly run around but in std it doesn't suit me.

Now the Aug with a silencer is a beast. Great sights, good fire-rate, good enough knock-down power.

Only need Ghost, Flak Jacket and Ninja Pro now for the perks that I like, probably won't bother with Tactical Mask or 2nd chance until well after Xmas. It wasn't pleasant going through the scout pro challenges with a sniper rifle.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 9, 2010, 01:00 PM

I seem to get killed lots by Galil users, but I can't make it work for me.
I wish there were global stats, as it's my third most common cause of death (behind the AK-47u and FAMAS).

It seems to take too long to Aim compared to the AK-47 and the Aug.
The AUG is significantly faster to raise but the Ak is actually slower.

Now the Aug with a silencer is a beast. Great sights, good fire-rate, good enough knock-down power.
AUGs highest damage is 35, which with the FAMAS and Enfield is the lowest damage output of the ARs.

Only need Ghost, Flak Jacket and Ninja Pro now for the perks that I like, probably won't bother with Tactical Mask or 2nd chance until well after Xmas. It wasn't pleasant going through the scout pro challenges with a sniper rifle.
What second perk are you running?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 9, 2010, 01:13 PM

Oh, and I think subie gets highlight of the night. At some point on Crisis last night I heard the crack of a sniper rifle followed by the wail of a dog.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 9, 2010, 03:52 PM

That was me there chief.

Rendered two videos.

First one is a long distance grenade stick on Hanoi. Funny thing about this is I didn't notice Jawbone was in the game until I was watching the film afterwards.
http://www.youtube.com/v/9vKcio6z8aY...l=0&autoplay=1

Second clip is sped up to fit into the 30s time allotment. Nothing to special, I start out 0-4 on Firing Range and then go on a complete rampage at the back of the map.
http://www.youtube.com/v/Uhv9Xv9qDV0...l=0&autoplay=1

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 9, 2010, 03:55 PM

Whatever, subie was in the sniper's nest last I saw.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 9, 2010, 04:04 PM

Subie doesn't have the wrist flexibility to pull off a dog snipe.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 9, 2010, 05:02 PM

*cringing*

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 9, 2010, 05:22 PM

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 9, 2010, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Now you're just fishing for positive commentary.

(Yes, awesome but the clip ends too fast)

That was me there chief.

Rendered two videos.

First one is a long distance grenade stick on Hanoi. Funny thing about this is I didn't notice Jawbone was in the game until I was watching the film afterwards.
http://www.youtube.com/v/9vKcio6z8aY...l=0&autoplay=1
Love the baseball throw type quality of it, though I imagine that's mostly the angle.

Second clip is sped up to fit into the 30s time allotment. Nothing to special, I start out 0-4 on Firing Range and then go on a complete rampage at the back of the map.
I'm thoroughly surprised one guy didn't spawn back there with you.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 9, 2010, 05:28 PM

I might add, looks like you're getting quick results from Theater rendering.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 9, 2010, 05:59 PM

The first two I waited overnight, and the dog one was up in about 10 minutes.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2010, 06:06 PM

The AUG is significantly faster to raise but the Ak is actually slower.
My only AK class had sleight of hand pro which is probably why I haven't felt the slowness of it for a while.

AUGs highest damage is 35, which with the FAMAS and Enfield is the lowest damage output of the ARs.
Yeah I saw the stats. I think that someone said that the Famas recoils to one side or something, maybe thats why I don't like it too much. The Aug spits out a lot of bullets and seems more controllable, even without a silencer. The ACOG on the Aug is shite though.

What second perk are you running?
It was Sleight of Hand Pro usually, but I really need to give Hardened pro a try to see if I can best people more in those close, one-on-one encounters. Warlord Pro is good for a Nader class that I have, but having an assault rifle with a noob tube negates the two add-ons thing for std Warlord. I didn't notice any advantage to having Steady Aim Pro on a run and gun class. Maybe I was just making too much noise.

===========

You guys never got into CoD2 on the Xbox IIRC. I highly recommend the Pure game type for the, well purity of it. I seem to do better at this type, its a pity theer aren't that many players. I recommend a class with a pistol as secondary, cos you'll swap it asap.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2010, 06:12 PM

Nice. I love when you go from a shit start to having an OK game.

Thats why I try never to quit in a rage, but sometimes it overpowers me. Tonight I pwned in Pure. Went to try and finish the Flak jacket and Ninja plant bombs requirements in S&D. Got my arse handed to me. Bleeding.

Rage quit the last game and shut the bitch of an Xbox down.

KCrosbie  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 9, 2010, 10:17 PM

No animals were harmed in the making of this film. LOL!

That's just wrong!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 10, 2010, 11:45 AM

So, I'm a little loathe to make weapon statistics the primary focus of a post, but I ran into something, well given how the game is so far I guess I shouldn't say unexpected.

I rewatched film of a 22-7 (roughly) game on Summit and immediately something caught my eye: I was getting two-hit kills with the Galil.

Statistically, this is impossible. The highest possible damage the Galil puts out is 40, and player health is 100, so every kill should be a minimum on 3 hits (excluding head shots). Not so here. I was even smart enough and rewatch deaths from the enemies perspective – these guys had all their health. (I rendered a video, but with both the visual and audio compression, its very hard to make out the hitmarkers I was measuring everything by).

The best part is I don't see how you can explain this with lag. Lag doesn't make people die faster. Basically, it seemed like I had Stopping Power equipped (I didn't check if other players were getting this benefit).
I'm going to make a better video later to show the interested. I might even post it on the CoD forums.

Still, another strike against the consistency of this game.

Edit: Another weird thing I noticed is guns usually go pop - space - pop - space - pop as they fire, but occasionally my Galil would start a fray pop - pop - space - pop.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2010, 01:00 PM

The Galil is magic.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 10, 2010, 01:15 PM

This entire ****ing game is "magical."

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2010, 05:01 PM

The inconsistency of this game is probably the worst part of it. From network connection during a game to getting knifed, to the stats, to glitches, you just never know when you'll get a 'good' game.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 10, 2010, 05:03 PM

No shit. I've gotten an unusual amount of 20+ kill games this week and now I feel like I should start reviewing them to see if weird shit like this is happening.

Oh and I forgot to add earlier, if your internet connection is taking a shit and you play combat training instead, it too will lag like a mother****er.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 11, 2010, 04:32 PM

At 3 am EST this game decided I was the best host available. Usually when I'm host (I think(, it'll just migrate as the game count down starts. Not so this time, I had it for 5 games. Started off rocking a 9.5 k/d and just slowly plummeted (to 1.5) as if the game was slowly compensating the players for it.

Other notes:

Set a new high for kills last night.
Check out your kill/death per weapon. The stats will always look lower than you expect (your total k/d) and the only reason I think this occurs is because killstreak and equipment kills don't get factored in.
Speaking of killstreaks, I'm beginning to wonder if they patched Napalm Strike this week. I've been getting very few kills with it; I don't think it goes through building anymore.
I wish they'd show you your k/d per map – My stoner kill death is one my worst which makes no sense in context of my using it mostly on Jungle, unless those damnable Nuke Town games have taken a huge collective shit on it.
My current Galil k/d is nearly 2.5 That is insane. Highly recommended as an AR.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2010, 06:23 PM

This game ****in sucks. I lag when I'm host FFS.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 11, 2010, 06:45 PM

I did notice the majority of my death as host came to the people lagging the most.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 11, 2010, 09:19 PM

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2010, 12:11 AM

I played TDM with my 10-year-old nephew today (the reason I didn't get off party chat with him -- didn't want anyone to have to watch their language), and he consistently outperformed me. I finally prestiged, and forgot how crippling it is to start over.

Since the Galil is the topic of the weekend, I throw this in: when I started using it after it was mentioned in this thread, I realized how often I'd seen it in killcams. It's definitely caught on with players, and it's likely to be a long-running problem in BO.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2010, 01:26 PM

I did notice the majority of my death as host came to the people lagging the most.
Do you watch the killcams? Even more unlike what happened in-game than usual - at least thats the impression that I get.

Strange that the less populated games seem better in terms of network perf. I don't suffer as much in Pure for example.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 12, 2010, 05:34 PM

Since the Galil is the topic of the weekend, I throw this in: when I started using it after it was mentioned in this thread, I realized how often I'd seen it in killcams. It's definitely caught on with players, and it's likely to be a long-running problem in BO.
It seems to be the third most used weapon in the game, behind the FAMAS and Ak74u.

Oddly, I haven't seen any complaints about it in the COD forums.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2010, 06:15 PM

What network/lagging issues? Pure and HC TDM are where its at ladies.

Seems that lots of people don't have Ghost Pro yet, so a Cobra at 7 kills and a SR-71 at 8 kills really does make it easy.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 12, 2010, 07:14 PM

SR-71 ignores Ghost Pro.

Also, I hope Marathon Pro rushers burn in hell.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2010, 07:18 PM

I'll be on after the Pats get done eviscerating the Bears.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2010, 06:06 AM

SR-71 ignores Ghost Pro.
I know that. I meant for the Cobra.

I can't afford the dogs yet, but when I can, canines and SR-71 will be used to the max.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2010, 01:12 PM

Do you watch the killcams? Even more unlike what happened in-game than usual - at least thats the impression that I get.
I've thought that before, but I think it's just the difference between seeing it in real-time and slow-motion. The game is just so fast-paced, it's hard to get an accurate read on how screwed up it is until you watch the replay.

Strange that the less populated games seem better in terms of network perf. I don't suffer as much in Pure for example.
I have yet to touch Pure. Sounds like stepping back in time.

It seems to be the third most used weapon in the game, behind the FAMAS and Ak74u.

Oddly, I haven't seen any complaints about it in the COD forums.
Give it time. I'm sure it will catch on.

SR-71 ignores Ghost Pro.
Well, that's just retarded.

Also, I hope Marathon Pro rushers burn in hell.
Amen.

Forum Links
Forum Rules