Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Airport reception on intel iMac

Airport reception on intel iMac
TiDual
Forum Regular
Jul 10, 2006, 04:25 AM

At home, both my iMac (20" core duo) and MacBook (black) connect to my WLAN. The machines have pretty similar specs (though the iMac has only 1GB while the Macbook has 2GB). Yet, when the two are placed side by side, with max WLAN reception, the MacBook finds and loads web pages about 5 times faster. The iMac feels almost like it's connect via a modem, instead of a 2000 DSL connection. With a wired connection to the router, the iMac is almost as fast a the macbook (via WLAN). These tests are conduction with only one machine connected to the WLAN at a time. Browser caches were cleared before all tests.

Anyone else find their iMac to be slow over airport. I notice this especially with web-page loading (e.g. where multiple accesses are required) rather than straigh "downloads" (though the MacBook still has a real edge).

quiklee
Senior User
Jul 12, 2006, 04:08 PM

The MacBook has probably the best antennae on the market because of how it was built into the monitor surroundings. There was an article on it a couple of months ago, but i can't find it for you.
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

TiDual  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2006, 04:33 PM

Yes, that's definitely true ... I get 4-5 bars reception in rooms where my AluBook couldn't get a signal. But still when the iMac has a clear signal it shouldn't be so much slower, surely. Oh well, curious to see when I go to a 6000 DSL connection next week.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 12, 2006, 08:05 PM

Please keep networking-oriented questions in the Networking forum. I'm letting this thread stay here if it stays focused on the iMac itself, NOT anything beyond iMac-specific issues.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules