Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > A call for help.

A call for help.
dmfunk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2006, 02:46 PM

Hello, my name is Dylan, and I am a Macaddict. Everything I learned about computers I learned on a mac, and for good reason.... they’re just great machines.

I’m posting here because I was the victim of eBay fraud. The new school I’m attending requires that all students tote around a laptop made by Apple. As I’m an impoverished student, I was desperate for a deal on a new Macbook. After browsing eBay for a day or two, I thought I had hit gold. Not only was the seller offering a black Macbook in mint condition, they lived in Canada, so I wouldn’t have to pay duty. I immediately bid, setting my max to $1260. A few hours elapsed and the auction ended, with me coming out on top.

I was over the moon! I was going to save $581 in buying on eBay! I rushed to open a bank account that supported Certapay (the seller’s accepted method of payment.) Two days after winning the auction, I sent $1000 of the $1300 to this person calling themself “Kevin Jollimoore.” The next day, I completed my payment and grinned.

Nothing seemed out of the ordinary at this point. Kevin had never sold anything on eBay before, but he had been a buyer with a 100% rating. His emails had been polite and seemed completely valid. However, after paying this person, I heard absolutely nothing in return.

Understandably worried, I emailed him and asked if everything was ok on his end. No reply.

The next day, I emailed again, saying that I would be forced to contact eBay if I heard nothing further. This seemed to get his attention, as he emailed an hour later saying that he’d have the package out by the next day (last Monday.)

Since then, I have heard absolutely nothing in reply. His eBay account has been suspended, his contact information doesn’t match the information in his listing... in fact, his phone number has a Montana area code.

I’m posting in Mac forums because I’m at the end of my rope. I’ve informed the police (they’re backed up so I have to wait a week for an officer to call back) which is the only thing I could think of doing. I’ve done reverse lookups on Canadian and American sites, with no luck.

Can anyone offer their expertise/help? I need a computer for September... and now I don’t have a way to pay for it. I’m not asking for money or anything, just knowledge.

Help!!!

"Kevin's" ebay info:

User ID: kevn.jollm
Name: Kevin Jollimoore
Company:
City: Toronto
State: ON
Phone: (406) 767-7675
Registered Since: Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 03:38:16 EST
( Last edited by dmfunk; Aug 2, 2006 at 02:49 PM. Reason: spelling/adding things)

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 2, 2006, 03:56 PM

That's pretty rough. I can't offer help, but perhaps someone here can. This place has been known to upset an eBay scammer's game from time to time.
ice

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Aug 2, 2006, 04:03 PM

http://findaperson.canada-411.ca/

No number comes up with that name.

His area code would also be 416 NOT 406. It can also be 905 or 647.

Here is a name that is almost spelled the same and is also in toronto (from a google search):
http://www.steamiron.com/who/sincity.html

Try spelling his name "Jollimore" and snoop around.

"Hello, what have we here?

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2006, 04:08 PM

Why don't you contact sprinter91801 as he's done business with him?

Rumor
Aug 2, 2006, 04:10 PM

Have you tried calling the phone number? I would also recommend filing a claim with the Certapay company.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2006, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor
Have you tried calling the phone number? I would also recommend filing a claim with the Certapay company.
As he said the area code is for Montana.

Toronto is 416 or 905,647. NOT 406.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2006, 04:14 PM

I called (406) 767-7675 and changed the area code to 416 and a woman picked up, I ask for kevin and she said it was the wrong number.

Y3a
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2006, 04:24 PM

RED FLAG...

"Kevin had never sold anything on eBay before"

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2006, 04:25 PM

Have you talked to Certapay? They must have his information if he got the money.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Rumor
Aug 2, 2006, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Y3a
RED FLAG...

"Kevin had never sold anything on eBay before"
Not always. True, I'd be wary of buying something so expensive from some like that, but everyone has to start somewhere. A good rule of thumb is to see if they are selling more items at the same time. Also, whether they are stock photos or real photos.

dmfunk  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2006, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Ghoser777
Why don't you contact sprinter91801 as he's done business with him?
I did, no response.

dmfunk  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2006, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Have you talked to Certapay? They must have his information if he got the money.
They'll release his information when presented with a Police warrant.

Sorry for the double post

+Thanks so much for the quick and enthusiastic response.

ndptal85
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 2, 2006, 05:27 PM

What was his overall feedback rating? If it was less than 10 I wouldn't be buying from him. In fact I don't buy from people who have a less than 100 rating.
Main Computer and EyeTV 200 DVR: Mac Mini Core Duo 1.66Ghz 2GB Ram 160GB HD.
Road Warrior: MacBook White 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo 2GB Ram 80GB HD.
Kubuntu Book: Dell Lattitude C400 running Kubuntu Linux 6.06 1.33 Pentium 3 CPU 1GB RAM 40GB HD with Creative laptop speakers (it only has one speaker).

dmfunk  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2006, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by ndptal85
What was his overall feedback rating? If it was less than 10 I wouldn't be buying from him. In fact I don't buy from people who have a less than 100 rating.
As said in my original post, his feedback rating was 100% which was misleading. As an ebay newbie, I didn't know that buyers could be rated. I thought ratings were only given to sellers. Hence my misplaced trust.

bstone
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2006, 06:13 PM

Check to see if your bank has fraud protection. I doubt it but you never know. Have you contact ebay's safe harbor?
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

bstone
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2006, 06:14 PM

also check the full headers on his emails to you and get the IP address. it'll be good to get a geographical location on him.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2006, 06:17 PM

IP address isn't all that precise. You can get the general area, but it could be several cities off. For instance, my IP address here says I'm in Los Angeles, when I'm actually two counties south in San Diego.
Chuck
___

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2006, 06:18 PM

Whenever you want to buy something big ticket on eBay ALWAYS:

1. Bid on the item then immediately go to eBay's site where you can request someone's contact information (provides a telephone number).

2. Go to an online address search site and put their telephone number into the reverse search for telephone numbers (looks up the address via telephone number) - I use WhitePages.com for example

3. Call the person. If you get a wrong number or number doesn't work then immediately "Retract your bid" with eBay before the person ends the auction early and demands payment. You can then log a complaint with eBay for bad contact information.

4. PAY VIA USPS MONEY ORDER (if you're in the United States) AS IT IS GUARANTEED UNDER FEDERAL LAWS (it's easy to get your money back if you file a fraud form) AND ALWAYS SEND PAYMENT SO THAT IT *HAS* TO BE SIGNED FOR.

5. I don't trust Paypal for any big ticket payments and NEVER EVER use Western Union or any other wire payment service.

I have a very large eBay business on eBay (someone else is running it right now while I am not well) that I run for a local animal rescue facilty (all proceeds go to the animal charity) and have a PowerSeller icon as a result.

Anyway, too bad, and yet another example of someone being scammed.

Can't help you with what to do in Canada, but am posting this information here so that anyone else might learn something.

Too bad and good luck.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2006, 06:38 PM

Freakin' everybody prefers Paypal. That is part of why I believe eBay is made up entirely of scam artists.
Chuck
___

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2006, 06:57 PM

I only accept Paypal up to $299. After that they can pay for the item with a United States Postal Service money order, period.

I don't sell or buy outside of the country that I reside in, also, if the item is more or less than $100USD and yes they can use Paypal - but must be verified and confirmed.

There are so many scams on eBay it's unbelievable.

And the phishing for your information is ridiculous.

This is an example of one that I just received:

Hi
My name is Nathan and I also got robed from krano for $500. There are more people like us that got taken by him. The police in WI won't arrest him but said you deffintly got robed, its a crime, I know where he lives, but I just won't arrest him
A whole load of bull,, FBI won't do anything,, Police won't do anything.. I am writing to you in regards of if you got your $ back and how. If you didin't, I was hopeing to gather you and the other people in doing something..I don't know what, but I would like your feed back..

Thanks
Nate
[email protected]
When you click on the supposed HTML link embedded in the rest of the email it takes you to a separate website where you plug in your eBay ID and password and WHAM! They've got your eBay password to commit fraud. They then list an item using your feedback and people see your great 100% feedback (mine is 100% with about 2000 positives) and they bid and buy and then the fraudster has them wire the money to them...and there is another victim.

I honestly don't know what eBay can do to stop this crap.

I personally only respond to email messages that are within My eBay link ON the eBay website.

Rumor
Aug 2, 2006, 07:20 PM

Too bad people get burned all the time. Here is another example.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2006, 07:27 PM

There really is nothing eBay can do to stop phishing, unfortunately. People need to take measures to protect themselves from phishing. If you ever get an e-mail from any site that you weren't expecting, don't click any "log in" links in the e-mail or anything like that. Go to the site manually and log in that way, so you know you aren't being URL-hacked.
Chuck
___

bstone
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2006, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
IP address isn't all that precise. You can get the general area, but it could be several cities off. For instance, my IP address here says I'm in Los Angeles, when I'm actually two counties south in San Diego.

But you can get general geographical info and also, with proper legal documentation, find out who was using that IP at that time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules