Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Too Many iMacs In My House

Too Many iMacs In My House (Page 2)
Strupat
Jan 29, 2007, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
She sells them and makes money.
And PB2K donates them to people in countries that are unable to buy computers.
What's wrong with you? Can't read?
Apology accepted, I forgive you.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2007, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
No, these are the CRT iMacs. Not all 1G iMacs came shipped with OS X.
Most were shipped with OS 9.

-t
The iMac DVs that came out in Summer of 2000 shipped with 9.1, and I think the generation after them began shipping with 10.1. Either way, a CRT iMac never came with 10.3 or 10.4, so legally they need to be purchasing a license so they can include the install discs with the computers they're selling.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 29, 2007, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Strupat View Post
I am entitled to think it is silly to keep dozens of computers piled all around a place of living. As you are entitled to think the opinions of people who can't read deserve less respect (I am obviously not illiterate, but you seem to have prejudice against those who are).

Poor countries don't need Macs. They need computers that help their country's economy.
They have a valid reason to have things piled in their place of residence. And who cares if they didn't, what you said was rude and uncalled for.

I was showing you that as you treat people, you will be treated. It appears you don't like being treated that way, perhaps you should consider how the person you treat that way feels.

Poor people don't deserve to learn about technology?!? Are you saying that people who are technologically literate won't help their country's economy?
HA! I'll apologize to you when you apologize to the two people you insulted.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 29, 2007, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
The iMac DVs that came out in Summer of 2000 shipped with 9.1, and I think the generation after them began shipping with 10.1. Either way, a CRT iMac never came with 10.3 or 10.4, so legally they need to be purchasing a license so they can include the install discs with the computers they're selling.
They could run LINUX. Your point is moot.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2007, 08:50 PM

HA! I'll apologize to you when you apologize to the two people you insulted.
Asking forgiveness for something you did wrong should have nothing to do with what the other person has done.

They could run LINUX. Your point is moot.
My point was that to be fully compliant with Apple's legal department, some sort of install media or proof of license has to be included with the OS. If they're taking the same image made from a single install disc and duplicating it over hundreds of computers without purchasing a license for each one, it's technically illegal. I'm not saying it's practical to buy a license for ~$30-50 secondhand per computer, but I'm saying it's what Apple wants.
I never said they couldn't run Linux, so I don't know where you got that from. The OP said they put OS 10.3 or 10.4 on each computer, and none of them would have shipped with that OS.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 29, 2007, 08:59 PM

Asking forgiveness for something you did wrong should have nothing to do with what the other person has done.
Don't worry, I wasn't being sincere.

I will apologize if he does, but I don't think I did anything wrong. But he is being a hypocrite for asking me to apologize when he still hasn't.
My point was that to be fully compliant with Apple's legal department, some sort of install media or proof of license has to be included with the OS. If they're taking the same image made from a single install disc and duplicating it over hundreds of computers without purchasing a license for each one, it's technically illegal. I'm not saying it's practical to buy a license for ~$30-50 secondhand per computer, but I'm saying it's what Apple wants.
I never said they couldn't run Linux, so I don't know where you got that from. The OP said they put OS 10.3 or 10.4 on each computer, and none of them would have shipped with that OS.
That's up to the owner. Not the seller.

brokecollegestudentF04  (op)
Banned
Jan 29, 2007, 09:25 PM

Wow things got deep while I was gone.. I have about 60 apple software packs with 9.1 that I include with each machine as well

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2007, 09:28 PM

But not the OS loaded on the computer?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 29, 2007, 09:40 PM

Yeah, you should be including OS X discs with the machine if you're putting OS X on it. Aside from legal issues, what happens if the OS gets messed up and needs to be reinstalled?

Or, what happens if they accidentally delete an app, but don't have an original OS X disc to restore it from with Pacifist? (yes, I get this support request quite a bit)

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2007, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post

Yeah, you should be including OS X discs with the machine if you're putting OS X on it. Aside from legal issues, what happens if the OS gets messed up and needs to be reinstalled?

Or, what happens if they accidentally delete an app, but don't have an original OS X disc to restore it from with Pacifist? (yes, I get this support request quite a bit)
My coworker buddy has a Dell computer that didn't come with an OS install CD. It came with a note telling him to call Dell, and that Dell would send him a CD if needed.

Legal issues be damned. Sure its wrong, but I doubt Apple will come down on them like the hand of thor.

Banned
Jan 29, 2007, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
My coworker buddy has a Dell computer that didn't come with an OS install CD. It came with a note telling him to call Dell, and that Dell would send him a CD if needed.

Legal issues be damned. Sure its wrong, but I doubt Apple will come down on them like the hand of thor.
Exactly.. I install panther or tiger on the machines they are ready to go out the door.. i dont think apple is gonna come down on a small time operation like this

Sub
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 29, 2007, 10:07 PM

If I was in some 3rd world country or whatever and was getting a peice of technology to help with everyday life for free, I wouldn't give a damn if there was a round peice of plastic in the box.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2007, 10:12 PM

What do people in third world countries do with a computer? Do they take the "Nicko" route and start posting on MacNN?

Do they use Outlook to make a schedule? (12pm wake up, 4pm swat fly, 9pm shoot gun into air, etc).

In terms of technology, cellphones are probably vastly more useful for helping people in crappy countries become more efficient, and it will help since a lot of people have farming jobs and they are spread out over long distances.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 29, 2007, 10:54 PM

Will Apple send free OS CDs to the guys brokecollegestudent is selling these iMacs to? Of course not.

Except that wasn't what I said. I said this:

Originally Posted by CharlesS
Aside from legal issues, what happens if the OS gets messed up and needs to be reinstalled?

Legal issues aside, you're setting yourself up for disaster if you don't have an install disc. Another scenario: what if the hard disk gets messed up and you need to boot from the install disc to run Disk Utility?

Originally Posted by Sub View Post
If I was in some 3rd world country or whatever and was getting a peice of technology to help with everyday life for free, I wouldn't give a damn if there was a round peice of plastic in the box.
You would care if the OS got messed up and needed to be reinstalled, and your piece of technology just became a doorstop because you can't reinstall it.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2007, 10:59 PM

Well the difference here is that XP has been the same since 2001 (minus free service packs), so any computer bought in the last 5 years or so should have an XP serial number on the case, meaning you can install from any CD and still be legal. Since Apple actually updates their OSs every couple years you can't always have the latest OS.

Originally Posted by brokecollegestudentF04 View Post
Exactly.. I install panther or tiger on the machines they are ready to go out the door.. i dont think apple is gonna come down on a small time operation like this
Most likely not. Unless you post about it on a prominent Mac message board (haha...kidding).

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
Do they use Outlook to make a schedule? (12pm wake up, 4pm swat fly, 9pm shoot gun into air, etc).

Banned
Jan 29, 2007, 11:09 PM

Will Apple send free OS CDs to the guys brokecollegestudent is selling these iMacs to? Of course not.

Except that wasn't what I said. I said this:

Legal issues aside, you're setting yourself up for disaster if you don't have an install disc. Another scenario: what if the hard disk gets messed up and you need to boot from the install disc to run Disk Utility?

You would care if the OS got messed up and needed to be reinstalled, and your piece of technology just became a doorstop because you can't reinstall it.
I have 2 sets of legit tiger and panther install disks.. legally I cant copy them.. but if the customer asks for them i do provide them.. I netboot the machines and image the machines with NetRestore.. its 100x easier and 100x faster then installing off a cd or dvd.. And NetRestore allows access to disk utility

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2007, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by brokecollegestudentF04 View Post
I have 2 sets of legit tiger and panther install disks.. legally I cant copy them.
And legally you can't install each OS on more than one computer. You're already breaking one rule, why not another?

Railroader
Banned
Jan 29, 2007, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
Thank you. You made me laugh. Bless you.

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 29, 2007, 11:59 PM

No, you apologize to him. You must not be able to read.

Banned
Jan 30, 2007, 01:12 PM

Thank god.. these machines are selling.. ive got them all packed into a little storage room and the business partner is bringing 75 up tomarrow

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2007, 10:54 PM

hehehehe. I had a similar problem with tomorrow. I couldn't remember if it was 2 m's or 2 r's. I finally figured it out. to-mor-row. I am a horrible speller. I'm actually getting better as I get older.

Forum Links
Forum Rules