Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > POLL: ibook screen colours

POLL: ibook screen colours
fatblackcat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2002, 01:36 PM

I've posted on various forums about this and never really seem to get anywhere. it certainly seems that all ibooks have this problem as i've checked about 10 now and they all do... so i'm wondering if your's do to?

the screen colours are washed out, lacking in vibrancy.

background: i'm a designer so colour is very important to me. I have tried:
* Colorsync/SuperCal and adobe gamma
* using a crt screen connected to my iBook (same on crt, so not an lcd prob). Besides the colour setting 'Web Graphics default' in Photoshop shows the correct colours, so its not like the screen *can't* display them
* both 9 and X- same prob. (i have the same version of 9 on my old iMac and that has no probs)
... which points to the graphics card

compare the following on your iBook and another computer (i know old imacs and pc's work fine- ie. show the same/similar colours to most computers, running the lastest os's)... http://www.chrisslowe.uklinux.net/test.html
Are the iBook screen colours lacking in vibrancy? can you match them to your other machine?

if all ibooks do have this problem then even if i send it back to Apple they'll just tell me that its fine... so i'll have to buy a new mac/pc... and not an iBook

chris

Skywalkers new Hand
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 31, 2002, 01:58 AM

All laptop LCD's don't look as good as a desktop because the laptop screens have to use less power. I am also a desiger and I don't see that much of a difference.

"Wedge, pull out! You're not doing any good back there!"

msc1974
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2002, 05:46 AM

Mine looks great....great buy no problems at all

funkboy
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2002, 02:44 PM

Calibrate your monitor with a ColorSync profile. This will improve the contrast greatly (if you want to) , and it will also show off the power of having system-level color management (heck, I barely know what that is, but it sounds impressive to type!).

The program SuperCal is a good program to use. Get it at www.versiontracker.com

fatblackcat  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 6, 2002, 08:57 AM

Originally posted by funkboy:
Calibrate your monitor with a ColorSync profile. This will improve the contrast greatly (if you want to) , and it will also show off the power of having system-level color management (heck, I barely know what that is, but it sounds impressive to type!).

The program SuperCal is a good program to use. Get it at www.versiontracker.com
yes hello. please read my post.

fredi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2002, 01:49 PM

What you get with the ibook is what you pay for. It is not designed as a graphics workstation. It is a price conscious lo end lap top (that I think is great). As they say, don't plow a field with a porsche, (or race the Indy 500 in a volkswagen.....

fredi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2002, 01:55 PM

The program SuperCal is a good program to use. Get it at www.versiontracker.com [/B][/QUOTE]

I have extensively tested SuperCal, and it posturizes colors due to just about all monitors being unable to read its gamma map. Try it out if you want, but take a good look at gradients (blue skies for example) and you will see that it makes images worse rather than better.

Apple's monitor color calibrator, (or adobe's) works better.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2002, 06:42 PM

Wow, I could have sworn your post didn't mention SuperCal when I replied awhile back. D'oh.

Get an external one

bleee
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 21, 2002, 07:46 PM

Originally posted by fatblackcat:
I've posted on various forums about this and never really seem to get anywhere. it certainly seems that all ibooks have this problem as i've checked about 10 now and they all do... so i'm wondering if your's do to?

the screen colours are washed out, lacking in vibrancy.

background: i'm a designer so colour is very important to me. I have tried:
* Colorsync/SuperCal and adobe gamma
* using a crt screen connected to my iBook (same on crt, so not an lcd prob). Besides the colour setting 'Web Graphics default' in Photoshop shows the correct colours, so its not like the screen *can't* display them
* both 9 and X- same prob. (i have the same version of 9 on my old iMac and that has no probs)
... which points to the graphics card

compare the following on your iBook and another computer (i know old imacs and pc's work fine- ie. show the same/similar colours to most computers, running the lastest os's)... http://www.chrisslowe.uklinux.net/test.html
Are the iBook screen colours lacking in vibrancy? can you match them to your other machine?

if all ibooks do have this problem then even if i send it back to Apple they'll just tell me that its fine... so i'll have to buy a new mac/pc... and not an iBook

chris
Hmm well they "look" ok to me but I'm not a graphic designer so I might not be as picky. Another way to tell is try your test on the TiBook screen it's possible they have a better screen since they are alot more expensive. Also try it on the new 700Mhz iBook they may have a better/different LCD as well.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2002, 03:57 AM

I don't know - the iBook screen is superb IMO. Maybe you've got a duff screen? Have you compared it to others?

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2002, 09:35 AM

hey, this thread isn't a poll.

-r.

Forum Links
Forum Rules