Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook, FireWire CD-RW, and CD Coping Woes

iBook, FireWire CD-RW, and CD Coping Woes
Red Wolf
Forum Regular
Oct 16, 2002, 01:53 PM

I recently purchased an external CD-RW to use with my iBook. It works great but I'm running into a funny problem when directly coping CDs. Here's what I'm using:

iBook G3/500 (Dual USB) w/Combo Drive
Sony 48x12x48x fitted into an external 5.25" FireWire case
Mac OS X 10.2
Toast 5 Titanium (v. 5.2)

I'm putting the original CD in the iBook's combo drive and the blank in the external CD-RW. At first I was coping along at 32x no problem. Now, however, using all the same CDs I get an error within the first minute of coping unless I burn at 16x or slower. I know the combo drive has a read limit of 24x but since I'm using underun protection everytime I don't understand why I'm erroring out even at 24x speed. Any thoughts or similar experiences out there?

fredi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2002, 03:39 PM

Sounds like a possible buffer under-run. Data not getting to the burner fast enough.

Make sure you set your disk cache to 64 mb in the prefs of TT, but regardless of what (X) your drive may claim to be, it is probably not fast enough to keep up with the fast burner.
Either burn slower, or create a disk image....but then that takes up more time than just burning slower.

Forum Links
Forum Rules