Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Help: 12.1' or 14.1'?

Help: 12.1' or 14.1'?
NETTEN
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2002, 01:40 PM

I'm planning to buy a ibook 800 MHz, 640 RAM, 30 GB HD, but can not decide between 12.1' and 14.1', which is better?

By the way, from apple.com online store, I've got a quotation of 1489 for 12.1' and 1639 for 14.1' under same features, difference is 150, is that reasonable? or I should buy 512 chip somewhere else, could you guys give me a suggestion?

Thanks a lot.

fibroptikl
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2002, 02:04 PM

I, as well as the majority of the forum will say to go for the 12.1" and get the RAM seperatley.

-Q-
Dec 3, 2002, 02:09 PM

I'm a big fan of my 12" screen. The 14" just doesn't look right to me. And there's no resolution difference between the two, so I think the 14" is just a waste of weight.

And definitely get the RAM elsewhere. You can get a 512 MB chip for as low as $70 at DealRAM.

NETTEN  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2002, 02:09 PM

but 14.1' seems get longer battery life...

-Q-
Dec 3, 2002, 03:08 PM

Only because it uses a bigger battery. I typically get around 4 hours with my 12" iBook.

NETTEN  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2002, 04:37 PM

Maybe you are right, but is 12.1' as clear as 14.1'? I'm afraid the characters are too small.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2002, 04:42 PM

The 12.1" is sharper than the 14.1".

The battery may get you 30 minutes (or less) more... but you have to carry around 1 more pound of stuff. The 14.1" doesn't even look right to me, and at MacHack last year with probably 100 iBooks, I only saw less than 3 14.1".

satchmo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 3, 2002, 04:51 PM

Funny I just came back from the dealer after playing with the two.
Unfortunately they just had the 700mhz in the 12" so it seemed rather sluggish with only 128mb.

The 800mhz (with 256mb) was in the 14" form factor and it was very quick. Even opened up Illustrator and did a few things in PS and it seemed fast enough. Overall quite a bit faster than the 700.

Although initially I was down on the 14" screen, upon seeing it again, it's really quite good. No, not as sharp as the 12, but at least you don't have to zoom up all your Appleworks files to 125% to see what you're typing.
If your eyesight isn't that good, go for the 14". You don't need migranes or headaches due to eyestrain.

The bad news it that I then had a look at the 867 Ti and it rocked. What I really like about the Ti is it's keyboard. Much nicer feel, unlike the chicklet type keys on the iBooks

dagmar
Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2002, 07:21 PM

Haing had both a 12.1 and now a 14.1, certainly on mine, the screens on both have been just as bright..whoever started the idea that there's a difference hasn't looked at enough of them; I even keep the brightness on my 14.1 down at 2/3 all of the time.

I switched due to eyestrain, and am very plaeased with my choice. The extra one pound of weight doesn't matter to me, I like the longer battery life, and don't throw it in a backpack. If your eyes are less than perfect, I recommend the 14.1

kcmac
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2002, 01:04 AM

Either way you really can't go wrong. I got the 12" iBook 500 combo when it was announced and have really enjoyed it. I am now changing jobs and had to give it back.

Now in the process of getting an 800 combo. I will stay with the 12". Just can't beat the size for traveling in planes or hauling it around in general. I am really looking forward to the speed boost.

Nick Ahlfs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2002, 02:05 AM

Making a decision about a 12 or 14 inch screen comes down to what you plan to use it for. Do you also have a desktop system? Is a small size important? Is weight important? Do you plan to watch DVD's and iMovies?

I have a desktop G4 system with a 19" screen. I compared the 14" iBook to the 15.2" PowerBook. Why a large screen? Because I'm using the iBook for writing, and I like to see as much of the page as possible. Also, my iBook is a portable photo album, and the larger pictures are a plus.

Having said all that, if you really don't need the larger screen, there are benefits to the small 12" iBook, especially for portability. But again, you need to decide what you're going to do with your iBook.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2002, 06:02 AM

I would say if you're just using it for internet access and email, the simple things people use their computers for, then the 12" would be fine.

If you are used to big screen desktops and it will be your only system, I would suggest the 14". I would also recommend the 14" if you have less than perfect eyesight.

It can only do video mirroring (spanning is only possible with a dangerous hack) at 1024x768. But you could get the 12" and use the money you save to get an okay 15-17" CRT. 1024x768 on a 17" CRT might sound a bit low, but it's actually fine (I find it better on my CRT than the more common 1280x1024). That way you'd have the best of both worlds - a small portable 12" iBook with a really sharp LCD, and a big 17" monitor for at home. You could also get a 15" LCD monitor - I bet you could find a VGA connected one, used, for only a little more than a 17" CRT. Again, you will get no more than 1024x768.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

alien
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2002, 08:46 AM

Like others have said, it depends on your eyesight. I have for the most part no problem with the "sharp" appearence of the 12.1" screen on my iBook. Remember that many apps like iTunes and Mail use rather "thick" fonts by default.

Actually, to my eyes, screens with lower dpi often looks kind of "fuzzy", and can give me a headache.

Rastar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2002, 08:53 AM

Size is a personal preference... as the last writer said, it may be that you or someone has a special need. I went for the 14" because I have larger hands and like the extra palm-rest space. An extra pound or so is worth the larger screen and keyboard area to me.
Peace & Love

iBook 800mhz,640ram,30gb OS 10.xxx,iPod15mb and lots of Old Time Radio

Raidiant
Forum Regular
Dec 4, 2002, 10:46 AM

I have a 14 inch i've looked at both screens, and I don't see any diffrence in clearness or brightness, the 14 inch looks as sharp as the 12 inch, the only diffrence is that both has the same working area. As I use word proccesing a lot so its much pleasing to the eye to work on a bigger screen, the portability is like a gimmick to be cause i'm unlikely to work on a bus or car (i'd get dizzy anyway) and I can still work in a coffee shop, the bigger screen and same thickness makes it look sleeker, also having a bigger laptop looks more proffesional.

Video playback on a bigger screen is better too cause it just looks better, and a larger screen is way better to show off the mac functions, especially its always the graphics. The 14 inch also gets a larger battery thats very usefull if you have to work all day with the laptop, as you get half-1 hour more of battery and its known that 14 inch runs 4-5 hours on normal use

The main reason why everyone uses 12 inch is because 12 ich is so much more cheap! Most iBook users are budget users and feel that 14 inch is much more expensive, and that I really agree, plus u don't get any improvements for having a huger laptop too apart from the screen.

cruise
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2002, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by Raidiant:
I have a 14 inch i've looked at both screens, and I don't see any diffrence in clearness or brightness, the 14 inch looks as sharp as the 12 inch, the only diffrence is that both has the same working area.
I respectfully disagree. Before I bought my PowerBook, I had a 12" 700MHz iBook and my sister had a 14" 700MHz iBook. I could definitely tell that the screen on my 12" was sharper, and I'm glad I bought the 12" over the 14".

"But opinionage may vary..."
- PowerBook G4 1GHz, 1GB RAM, SuperDrive
- AMD Athlon 1.4 GHz, 512MB DDR, Radeon 8500

satchmo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2002, 01:20 PM

This has been debated at nauseum, so maybe it's finally time for Apple to offer a 13.3" iBook.
Same size overall size as current 12" but a smaller border to accomodate the larger screen.

Now, I know this won't happen but it would really address concerns from both 12 and 14 inch users.

FauxCaster
Forum Regular
Dec 4, 2002, 05:24 PM

Originally posted by satchmo:
This has been debated at nauseum
Yep. All the reasons listed are good. One more: if you have to show work to a client across a desk or table, the 14" will do you better. That's the reason I bought it.

Milo Waye
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2002, 10:06 PM

Originally posted by satchmo:
This has been debated at nauseum, so maybe it's finally time for Apple to offer a 13.3" iBook.
Same size overall size as current 12" but a smaller border to accomodate the larger screen.

Now, I know this won't happen but it would really address concerns from both 12 and 14 inch users.
Roger that ! It would be educational to know the sales ratio of the two.

NETTEN  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2002, 01:39 PM

I thing I'll go for 14.1', looks like a notebook more than 12.1'. but 12.1' is so cute...

Forum Links
Forum Rules