Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > "Old" iBook 700 differences to new 700

"Old" iBook 700 differences to new 700
satchmo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 6, 2002, 11:47 AM

The refurbished price of $999 for the 12" iBook 700 w/combo is so tempting. Plus less $25 sign on coupon.

This is what I know:
-Video card is different but it's still QE ready.
-I think I heard something about a different video out (can someone elaborate on this?)
-new one has whiter palm rest area

What else?
Even though 12" is a tad small for my eyes (I'll wear my glasses), this seems too good to pass up.
thanks

blackgasmask
Dec 6, 2002, 02:09 PM

Originally posted by satchmo:
The refurbished price of $999 for the 12" iBook 700 w/combo is so tempting. Plus less $25 sign on coupon.

This is what I know:
-I think I heard something about a different video out (can someone elaborate on this?)

What else?
Even though 12" is a tad small for my eyes (I'll wear my glasses), this seems too good to pass up.
thanks
Ive got one of the "new" 700's. the upper half of the lower case is a different plastic and lighter color. the video out is now through the vga out port rather than the a/v port which is now only audio(headphone jack). it allows for spanning/mirroring as well as s video and rca. I like mine alot but I am replacing the cd drive with a dvd drive I picked up on ebay as Id like to be able to load dvds onto it.

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 6, 2002, 02:19 PM

Originally posted by satchmo:

This is what I know:

What else?
thanks
is the video ram on this one still 16mb?
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

blackgasmask
Dec 6, 2002, 02:25 PM

yes

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 6, 2002, 05:40 PM

Originally posted by blackgasmask:
I like [my new 700 Mhz iBook] alot but I am replacing the cd drive with a dvd drive I picked up on ebay as Id like to be able to load dvds onto it.
blackgasmask: Make sure to post your experience swapping your optical drive in the Mac Modification forum (including the make and model of the replacement drive).

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

blackgasmask
Dec 6, 2002, 06:07 PM

Originally posted by escher:

blackgasmask: Make sure to post your experience swapping your optical drive in the Mac Modification forum (including the make and model of the replacement drive).

Escher
Ill do that. Im kind of gambling on drive compatibility, I found what was described as "an apple branded toshiba" dvd drive out of a pismo expansion bay. If that doesnt work Ive got a Matsushita UJDA330 cdrw that should work with it that Ill put in, Id rather have dvd than burning capabilities though.

Hillbilly Wino
Dec 6, 2002, 06:30 PM

I just got a refurbished 700/combo from Apple this week (the $999 deal) I sold my ibook 500 a week ago for $999 on ebay. So it was the smartest move for me just to get the combo drive rather than a "new" ibook. This one is perfect and I can find no flaws. I love it.

Get the refurb, you'll be happy.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2002, 07:23 PM

Originally posted by RMXO:

is the video ram on this one still 16mb?
Yes, but its a better graphics card (ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 compared to ATI Mobility Radeon).

Forum Links
Forum Rules