Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Ipod Battery Failures - Call For Petitioners

Ipod Battery Failures - Call For Petitioners
tgrundke
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 13, 2002, 02:41 PM

Afternoon everyone,

As per postings on several other iPod sites in reference to the dreaded iPod battery failure issue, I am looking for all those who have found their iPod battery to lose charge-holding capacity.

Many people have contacted me thus far about the issue, and I would like to accumulate a significant list and then begin a discussion with Apple after the new year begins.

Please feel free to contact me at: [email protected] with your name, type of iPod, and duration of ownership. Hopefully we'll be able to get Apple to assist its loyal user base who has supported the company over the years.

Cheers,
travis
Travis L. Grundke
Sapere Aude

slider
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2002, 03:13 PM

I have read one iPodder going to an Apple store and having their battery replaced, what exactly is apple policy on battery replacement under the warranty? I know the battery won't last forever, so what is considered an expectable period? I have be fortunate not to have an issue yet, but I would be willing to support by signing the petition if I felt it was reasonable and that Apple does not already replace the battery when is has become unacceptable. What exactly are your conditions for this petition, acceptable length of time, what are you asking of Apple I guess is what I am trying to figure out as well as what their current policy is.

tgrundke  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 13, 2002, 06:51 PM

Lots and lots of conflicting stories so far from people who have contacted me. Apparently, Apple has told some people a flat out "no" while under warranty, others have received replacements, others were charged $299 for a replacement unit that carried a 30 day warranty (read: refurbished).

Since nobody really knows (and apprently, neither does Apple), we are planning to go to Apple as a larger group, ask what the legitimate policy is, and attempt to demonstrate that there is in fact a fault in the battery design/iPod design that causes the charge holding capacity to drop precipitously in a large number of instances.

As to remedies - we'll worry about that when the time comes.
;-)

Originally posted by slider:
I have read one iPodder going to an Apple store and having their battery replaced, what exactly is apple policy on battery replacement under the warranty? I know the battery won't last forever, so what is considered an expectable period? I have be fortunate not to have an issue yet, but I would be willing to support by signing the petition if I felt it was reasonable and that Apple does not already replace the battery when is has become unacceptable. What exactly are your conditions for this petition, acceptable length of time, what are you asking of Apple I guess is what I am trying to figure out as well as what their current policy is.
Travis L. Grundke
Sapere Aude

ericwass
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 15, 2002, 09:58 PM

Before you all spend too much time on this, do try exchanging your iPod at an Apple store if you can. I told them about the battery problem and they swapped it out, no questions asked. I know others haven't been so fortunate, but I would just advise trying first because of my previous futile attempts to mobilize groups to hold Apple accountable for bad Powerbook DVD/CD drives. People are flakey and Apple never budges!
"Pfft. I know a genuine Panaphonics when I see it. And look, there's Magnetbox and Sorny." -HJS

schalliol
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2002, 06:24 AM

Mine hasn't failed, but is OUT of warranty and has always been a little odd (just misc. problems). I am worried about and am hoping I can get it fixed when needed or TRADE-IN for a newere model.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Dec 16, 2002, 11:41 AM

If it is in warranty then Apple has no excuse not to fix or replace it for you.

"Hello, what have we here?

sarcastro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2002, 03:52 PM

I'm about to get a new 10gb iPod for christmas and all this battery failure talk is making me a little nervous. What kinds of problems have people encountered?
I read that a Lithium-Ion Polymer battery is good for 500 cycles (whatever that means) before it starts losing its charge. Is this accurate?
For people who have had their iPod for over a year, do you find a significant loss in charge? Thanks.

Cheers

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2002, 04:01 PM

Yeah, what instances are we talking about here? My iPod is relatively new, and once I thought I lost charge too quickly. The only other thing I've noticed is that my charge meter jumps around all the time.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

danielb0101
Dec 17, 2002, 06:43 AM

I have a first gen iPod (5 Gig) I received for Christmas 2001. After a few months I noticed that my battery life was not the "10 hours" Apple had praised. Now, about a year later, my iPod doesn't hold any power (unused) for more than 2 days, and the listening time is about 3 hours.

Since the 90 warranty has clearly passed, I have no legal or otherwise complaint against Apple. Other than my own, 'single' voice.

==dB

Kevmcna
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2002, 09:39 AM

danielb,

If you are near an Apple Store take your iPod there. I got an original iPod the day they came out last year. Apple has quietly extended the warranty on the originals to a year. I was getting about 5 hours of battery life on mine and got it swapped for a new one 364 days after my purchase. At 2 hours of life you should have no trouble getting a new one.

I'm really surprised there isn't a reasonable battery replacement program being done by a third party like OWC or someone similar. With all the fuss over this there seems to be a business opportunity for somebody. Is there no alternative to Apple for a new battery for these things?

Kev

satchmo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2002, 12:59 PM

The new one year warranty is pretty good but many have gone the route of purchasing a replacement warranty at Compusa for about $40.

But for those whose iPods are out of warranty, I think you may sh*t out of luck.

art_director
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2002, 06:54 PM

Originally posted by sarcastro:
I'm about to get a new 10gb iPod for christmas and all this battery failure talk is making me a little nervous. What kinds of problems have people encountered?
I read that a Lithium-Ion Polymer battery is good for 500 cycles (whatever that means) before it starts losing its charge. Is this accurate?
For people who have had their iPod for over a year, do you find a significant loss in charge? Thanks.

Cheers
my ipod was purchased the first day they were available at the apple store, mall of america. in the fourteen months since that time i've noticed a slight decrease in the charge life but nothing substantial. i use my ipod most every day. i take it running, skiing, working in the yard, etc. it's taken a serious beating and a few spills but none of the ugliness i've read about.

schalliol
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2002, 06:10 PM

The warranty on all iPods was expanded to one year. It may not be too late for some of you, but for others of us, I hope they do cheap or reduced cost for replacement.

motti
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 18, 2002, 07:40 PM

When i use my ipod in the car, it can last up to 12 hours! I bought it feb 02.. but, when i let it collect dust for two, the battery is almost dead. this "almost" is very annoying because when i test it before going on a long snowboard trip, it shows 3 bars. i then hook it up to the car stereo and schwupps, it's completely dead.

schalliol
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2002, 07:48 PM

Samething here

KidRed
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2002, 11:26 PM

I don't have an iPod, but can't you take the thing apart to change out the battery?
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2002, 12:02 AM

yeah but it's very hard to do that.

According to sony, the company that makes the battery, it is only good for 50 recharges... note. 50 RECHARGES.

That means 500 hours of use. o_O
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2002, 03:19 AM

So it;s a $400 dispoal mp3 player? Does it say that on the box? I hope in a year from now thousands of PC users aren't crying about thier iPods dying. Could be bad publicity for Apple.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2002, 05:13 PM

perhaps it would be a good idea if Apple was to do 'applecare' for an iPod?
we don't have time to stop for gas

Forum Links
Forum Rules