Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > The Newbie- What to get list

The Newbie- What to get list
mindwaves
Jan 16, 2003, 12:24 AM

Hello,

I have just used and owned desktop Macs before and my first laptop will be this 12'' PB G4 and I was wondering what would all of you recommend for me and all laptop newbies to get? Thanks a lot.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2003, 12:50 AM

If you are obsessive about keeping your machine perfect, I have a few links for you.

For all your screen protector and sleeve case needs, look to RadTech at www.radtech.us. They ship amazing sleeve cases that have effectively protected my PowerBook G4 for weeks without getting it scratched at all. Their screen protectors are thin enough not to damage the display but soft and large enough to keep the keyboard marks off your screen. I'm not sure if the 12-inch PowerBook has that problem, though.

Victor seems to like to use the WriteRIGHT PDA screen protectors as custom trackpad films. There's no manufactured film available for the 12-inch PowerBook G4 yet. The WriteRIGHT is the next best thing.

To protect the keyboard, an iSkin would work wonders; check them out at www.iskin.com.

An external mouse is a must. I highly recommend Logitech's MX-series optical mice. They're extremely precise and don't skip. The cordless MX700 is surprisingly snappy, too. It is a millisecond or two away from being as quick as a regular corded optical mouse.

Macally released new, see-through screen protectors you can attach to your screen. I'm not sure when they will start shipping, but they are working extremely well for my TiBook. I feel better not getting marks on the screen itself even though they're essentially invisible.

External speakers are also a must. Almost anything will do here. I recommend Altec Lansing and Klipsch high-end sets if you're into audio. SoundSticks are a bit too expensive for the performance they offer.

I think that sums it up. Good luck!

mindwaves  (op)
Jan 16, 2003, 01:04 AM

Hey, thanks a lot Sean. I have a question on that Powersleevz though. Can I just put that on and throw my PB in my backpack then or should I buy a separate carrying case thing (something cheap)?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 16, 2003, 02:48 AM

My hunch is that you would want a little more padding than that, although I am also interested in those sleeves.

sworthy
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2003, 03:56 AM

I have an incase sleeve (from the apple store) for my 15 inch and it works really well. If I just want to take my powerbook and nothing else I can just take the sleeve (it has breifcase handles and a shoulder strap) or if I want to take a few other things I can put the powerbook in the sleeve for some extra protection (though I'm not sure about the aluminum's durability or scratch-proof ability). It's versatile, and it protects. A good buy and not too expensive.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2003, 05:44 AM

That sleeve has protection against cosmetic damage like scratches, but it offers no padding against bumps. I use it inside a Targus notebook backpack. I don't think the 12-inch iBook sleeve will work for you, though. Having met the staff of RadTech, I think it's a safe bet that they'll make you one to order if need be. They'll release something to accomodate the 12- and 17-inch models soon enough.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 16, 2003, 02:28 PM

I emailed the RadTech pople and they said they would have things for the 12" powerbook on their site in a couple of weeks.

xyber233
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2003, 03:13 PM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
That sleeve has protection against cosmetic damage like scratches, but it offers no padding against bumps. I use it inside a Targus notebook backpack. I don't think the 12-inch iBook sleeve will work for you, though. Having met the staff of RadTech, I think it's a safe bet that they'll make you one to order if need be. They'll release something to accomodate the 12- and 17-inch models soon enough.
Which backpack do you have? I was lookin at some today.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 16, 2003, 04:00 PM

Spire makes some awesome computer bags.

I recommend you get a second battery. You can never have too much power to go.

tooki

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2003, 04:12 PM

www.sfbags.com made the powerbook bag for my Ti. recommended it to all my friends, and now 4 of em have em, and they're all really happy with them.
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

dvd
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2003, 07:06 PM

i got the incase one from applestore too. i love it. Even if i problay used it for 3 hours total from the time i had it.
-Athlon XP 1500+, 256 PC2700 DDR RAM, 30 + 60 gig HD.
-Powermac G4 "Digital Audio", 384mb ram, 40gig HD, 16mb rage pro 128
-original iPod 5gig =]

shatten22
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 17, 2003, 04:58 PM

A second nod for Spire bags. I have their ICON and it is the best bag I have ever owned.

Also, an external 2.5 firewire drive. I bought a case from OWC and put a 20 gb Laptop drive in it. Bus powered and great for backups!

g

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 17, 2003, 05:03 PM

I have a spire bag too (can't remember the model...) Most expensive best bag I've ever bought, but also the best.

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 17, 2003, 05:37 PM

I would go with the following products. I did, and I love em'! They are all very good prices and do a good job of matching the PowerBooks looks.

Marware Sportfolio Series Travel Sleeve Case
Model II for 12" iBook/PowerBook

Jansport Backpack with inner Laptop Sleeve (Fits the Marware case nicely for total protection)
Jansport Gizmo

JBL Creature 2.1 Speakers
JBL Creature

Logitech MX500 Mouse
MX500

The Canon S900 Printer is also a good choice, but its becoming hard to find since its a 2002 model. The only place I can find it is at the Apple Online Store.

jamez bond
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 17, 2003, 08:21 PM

Get a tablet from Wacom!
I got myself the cordless trackball from logitech just before christmas, and My girlfriend gave me this tablet for christmas...

It was real tricky to use in the beginning, but now, my once so glorious trackball resides in a shelf on the side here. I use the tablet for everything! If you touch photoshop two times, and swap a few pictures around in iPhoto, it is definetly worth having!

Speakers, a must. Unless you hook your laptop up to your stereo. Don't forget an apple pro keyboard either.
Heck, just order the whole of the apple store while you're at it! (including airport...)

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2003, 12:46 AM

are bags THAT good... like OK maybe for the TiBooks because they scratch... but with the new AlBooks... shouldn't the whole aluminum shell protect the book well?

buffalolee
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 18, 2003, 02:19 AM

Do you really want to risk it? Get yourself some good protection. It's like a condom for your PB. When you drop your PB, you'll be lucky to know your bag protected it well.

Another nod for Spire. Cheaper than SF bags, and protects just as well.

jamez bond
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 18, 2003, 05:27 AM

I would like to give two thumbs up for jansport!
I have a huge backback from them. Not the one that is posted earlier. This one has the laptop compartment on the back and it is impossible to see that it would be a laptop there.
here:
Jansport Lapstation

It is a bit big at times, but if you drag all sorts of stuff around like me, then go for a big bag!

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2003, 08:50 PM

mindwaves
For laptop sleeves, check out NoteBooq. It's tougher and better-looking than any of the other sleeves, in my opinion.

I also like BooqPaq as a backpack.

Both of these are made of ballistic nylon (the bullet-proof materials they use to make high-quality luggage).

mindwaves  (op)
Jan 18, 2003, 09:06 PM

Thanks everyone! I got a used (used twice I hear) from someone at MacNN at a good deal. It should come soon I hope.

Anyways, does anyone think that some kind of protector is needed to protect the screen from the keyboard when the unit is closed? Thanks.

edit:

Originally posted by TheIceMan:

I also like BooqPaq as a backpack.
Wow, that is one nice backpack, but a tad expensive for me!

edit again: From another thread, one person suggested to just use a piece of paper. I think that I will do that or some piece of silk or soft thin cloth.
( Last edited by mindwaves; Jan 19, 2003 at 07:10 AM. )

mismith
Jan 18, 2003, 09:31 PM

While I can't speak to the other sleeves mentioned, I have been extremely happy with my Timbuk2 sleeve. In my research the padding in the Timbuk2 sleeves seemed a little thicker, plus they have great handles. I have owned several of their messenger bags (which I prefer over a backpack) and have a sleeve for my Ti.

I have used the sleeve in many different situations with great success, including a couple messenger bags, a LowePro camera backpack, a duffel type carryon bag, and a large internal frame hiking backpack.

_______

As far as other accessories, I have a 40GB LaCie Pocket drive that works great. I have seen them at 2 different apple stores, I think they use it as a bootable drive to repair/update their floor models.

_______

Good luck with your new 'book.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2003, 10:55 PM

Originally posted by jamez bond:
Get a tablet from Wacom!
I agree, I will be taking mine back and forth from school now, I can't stand using photoshop without it. The same will prolly go for illistrator soon .

-Owl

MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 19, 2003, 11:32 AM

I got the Brenthaven Mobility Backpack for my TiBook, as well as a westerfield sleeve.. The whole package comes to about $140 bucks, but man, is she padded. I bike 2 miles to my office every day, and really feel like my PB is safe in the Mobility with the sleeve case. Also, it has an iPod compartment, with a channel for your headphones (which I have going all the time).. along with all the compartments for all of your extras. If you are looking for a durable, padded backpack, with enough room for other stuff in it (such as books, papers, etc), I would highly recommend this pack.

-Mark

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2003, 11:19 PM

absolutly
100%
don't think about it twice

http://www.sfbags.com/PRODUCTS/SC_INFO/sc.htm

WATERFIELD DESIGN BAG
there really are no better sleeves.

They're made of neoprene and they are durable as hell!

they're only about $35 which is pretty reasonable for what you get

I have one for my PB, and my mom has one for her iBook...great
great
great
great products!

Forum Links
Forum Rules