Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.2.4 - anyone else having issues?

10.2.4 - anyone else having issues?
sodamnregistered2
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 16, 2003, 02:00 PM

Crap, I'm in the middle of a project, but am always hoping for networking improvements and so forth, so I installed 10.2.4 on my QS800dp.

After Effects in particular behaves poorly now. Selecting things is slowed, redraw errors involving resizing my work area, lines and things that I use to line stuff up with don't redraw.

Mostly, selecting things is much worse. I have to act very deliberate and move fairly slow. Curses.

I can't cut and paste between AI and Photoshop. AI 10.0.3 crashes, and when I try to paste in Photoshop 7.0.1, I get an error about not being in the edition.

I'd go slow on this upgrade if you are a Mac Pro. I'm hating it right now and I'm too busy to wipe my computer and revert to 10.2.3. Crap.

OSX has me cussing... again... drat...
MacBook Pro C2D 2.16GHz 2GB 120GB OSX 10.4.9, Boot Camp 1.2, Vista Home Premium
mac mini 1.42, 60GB 7200rpm, 1GB (sold), dual 2GHz/G5 (sold), Powerbook 15" 1GHz (sold)
dual G4 800MHz (sold), dual G4 450MHz (sold), G4 450MHz (sold), Powerbook Pismo G3 500MHz (sold)
PowerMac 9500 132MHz 601, dual 180MHz 604e, Newer G3 400MHz (in closet)
Powermac 7100 80MHz (sold), Powermac 7100 66MHz (sold)

turboSPE
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 16, 2003, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by sodamnregistered2:
Crap, I'm in the middle of a project, but am always hoping for networking improvements and so forth, so I installed 10.2.4 on my QS800dp.

*snip*
I installed the .4 update the other night. Startup seems faster, as do most other Finder operations (including scrolling and resizing windows). However, when I plug my Creative Nomad Muvo into the free USB slot on the keyboard, the Finder hangs.

turboSPE

Liudger
Feb 16, 2003, 03:31 PM

try archieve install 10.2 and use combo update 10.2.4

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2003, 03:43 PM

I had an old-school, spewing-text-on-the-screen style kernel panic yesterday. Other than that, 10.2.4 has been all peaches and cream for me.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

maxed-out
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2003, 04:41 PM

Works fine for me, apart from taking about 10 seconds now to put my Powerbook to sleep
Superdrive TiBook 1GB RAM

JLL
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2003, 06:11 PM

Originally posted by Liudger:
try archieve install 10.2 and use combo update 10.2.4
Installing the 10.2.4 Combo update on top of 10.2.4 fixes a lot of issues. You don't have to install Mac OS X 10.2 again.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

ryju
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2003, 07:35 PM

well when i first got it and restarted: it took twice the time to start up, also i got a kernel panic because my network computers weren't showing up and i tried to connect to an IP. also some of my apps were going slow and i was getting a spinning beach ball alot and the finder was stalling on me alot.
so THEN i opened disk utility and repaired permissions, then ran system optimizer and restarted. now everything is fine, if not better.

Geobunny
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2003, 07:39 PM

Originally posted by ryju:
well when i first got it and restarted: it took twice the time to start up, also i got a kernel panic because my network computers weren't showing up and i tried to connect to an IP. also some of my apps were going slow and i was getting a spinning beach ball alot and the finder was stalling on me alot.
so THEN i opened disk utility and repaired permissions, then ran system optimizer and restarted. now everything is fine, if not better.
System Optimiser is just "sudo update_prebinding" yes? My machine seems to be going a wee bit slower too. Very odd, it's normally slightly faster after each upgrade...then slows down again
ClamXav - the free virus scanner for Mac OS X | Geobunny learns to fly

sodamnregistered2  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 16, 2003, 07:42 PM

Is system optimizer in OSX? Is MacJanitor similar? I repaired permissions already.

I have to restart After Effects 5.5.1.110 about every hour or so. I can't select layers or some other fukk up after a while.

I could kill myself for doing this in the middle of a project.
MacBook Pro C2D 2.16GHz 2GB 120GB OSX 10.4.9, Boot Camp 1.2, Vista Home Premium
mac mini 1.42, 60GB 7200rpm, 1GB (sold), dual 2GHz/G5 (sold), Powerbook 15" 1GHz (sold)
dual G4 800MHz (sold), dual G4 450MHz (sold), G4 450MHz (sold), Powerbook Pismo G3 500MHz (sold)
PowerMac 9500 132MHz 601, dual 180MHz 604e, Newer G3 400MHz (in closet)
Powermac 7100 80MHz (sold), Powermac 7100 66MHz (sold)

Buck_W
Senior User
Feb 16, 2003, 07:57 PM

Originally posted by JLL:
Installing the 10.2.4 Combo update on top of 10.2.4 fixes a lot of issues. You don't have to install Mac OS X 10.2 again.
Are you recommending installing the 10.2.4 Combo even if you have already installed the 10.2.4 update?

If so, what issues are fixed? Why is it beneficial? Are there any possible negative repercussions to installing the (Combo) update again?

Thanks for the clarification.
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

danielb0101
Feb 16, 2003, 08:10 PM

No issues here.

12" Powerbook G4/867
256MB RAM

cww
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2003, 09:18 PM

Nothing betweent 10.2.3 and 10.2.4 seems different to me on my iBook, so that is a good thing.
Backpack: Late 2001 iBook 12.1" | 600 MHz | 128 + 256 MB RAM | 15 GB HD | DVD-ROM | Jaguar
Left Pocket: iPod | 5 GB

Gene Jockey
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2003, 09:53 PM

After installing on my Beige G3/300, the finder didn't come up. I fixed disk perms, ran Norton, still fuxxored. I can't drag items. Not in the dock, not from a folder. It's not a mouse issue, it works after some restarts, but if that works, other things are broken. I'll try that combo update thing. I only updated because I was hoping for a fix to a problem with my M-audio Sonica. No joy If this combo trick doesn't work, I'm stripping it down and just installing 10.1.5 again. Anyone selling a Cube? About time to retire the old boy...

--Josh

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2003, 12:33 AM

The only problem that I found so far is that I can't hide the finder anymore.. It's not that I use that a lot but still... Other than that, everything seems fine.
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

Oneota
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2003, 02:16 AM

My DVD drive has stopped mounting audio CDs. The console shows 'em (they even have their iTunes-assigned name), but it says [not mounted] after its autodiskmount entry. No amount of coaxing will mount 'em.

Grr.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

JLL
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2003, 04:37 AM

Originally posted by Buck_W:
Are you recommending installing the 10.2.4 Combo even if you have already installed the 10.2.4 update?

If so, what issues are fixed? Why is it beneficial? Are there any possible negative repercussions to installing the (Combo) update again?

Thanks for the clarification.
Using the 10.2.3 to 10.2.4 update my Photoshop started acting up. Shortcuts weren't doing what they should.

Others reported about not being able to use the brightness at 100% on an iMac.

Installing the 10.2.4 Combo update on top of 10.2.4 fixed all issues.

If you read MacFixIt, they say that the same thing happened with 10.2.3, and it seems that Apple forgot a few things in the 10.2.4 update.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

V0ID
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2003, 04:47 AM

The CD drive in my pismo keeps popping out. Strange.

Cipher13
Feb 17, 2003, 08:27 AM

Originally posted by V0ID:
My burner keeps doing that.

kdogg73
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 17, 2003, 06:49 PM

Is this the official 10.2.4 complaint/bug thread? Okay, then I have one.

I have successfully been able to have the same directory open in two windows in the Finder. Can anyone else duplicate this?

Have you seen my pants?

ryju
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2003, 07:12 PM

Originally posted by kdogg73:

I have successfully been able to have the same directory open in two windows in the Finder. Can anyone else duplicate this?

i'm not exactly sure what you mean by this...how do you do it? screenshot?

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Feb 17, 2003, 07:16 PM

..my hermstedt modem stopped working..

kdogg73
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 17, 2003, 07:19 PM

http://www.kjmoran.com/dupwin.jpg

PLEASE, FOLKS! DON'T POST BIG PIX. USE URLs! -- tooki
( Last edited by tooki; Feb 21, 2003 at 04:27 AM. )

Have you seen my pants?

kdogg73
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 17, 2003, 07:28 PM

This is how I did it:

Open a window with sub directories in list view. Command dbl-click a directory to open it in a new window. Leave that open and click back to the original window (parent directory). Click the arrow to the left of the same directory you just opened to show it's contents. Now double click that same parent directory. You should have two windows of the same directory.

Have you seen my pants?

wingdo
Senior User
Feb 17, 2003, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by sodamnregistered2:
[BMostly, selecting things is much worse. I have to act very deliberate and move fairly slow. Curses.

I can't cut and paste between AI and Photoshop. AI 10.0.3 crashes, and when I try to paste in Photoshop 7.0.1, I get an error about not being in the edition.

I'd go slow on this upgrade if you are a Mac Pro. I'm hating it right now and I'm too busy to wipe my computer and revert to 10.2.3. Crap.

OSX has me cussing... again... drat... [/B]
I know this sounds like a stretch, but I was having a ton of issues after the 10.2.4 update as well. Someone suggested trying the combo updater (has ALL updates since 10.2). I ran this updater and things have been OK since.

Give it a try:
http://www.info.apple.com/support/downloads.html

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2003, 10:22 PM

Originally posted by wingdo:
I know this sounds like a stretch, but I was having a ton of issues after the 10.2.4 update as well. Someone suggested trying the combo updater (has ALL updates since 10.2). I ran this updater and things have been OK since.

Give it a try:
http://www.info.apple.com/support/downloads.html
what issues were you having, which seem to be fixed after the combo update?

The only issue I have is that my Palm won't sync with iCal anymore. Worked without problems before I updated to 10.2.4.

wingdo
Senior User
Feb 18, 2003, 12:09 AM

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:

The only issue I have is that my Palm won't sync with iCal anymore. Worked without problems before I updated to 10.2.4.
Generally hard freezes, not kernal panics but system lock ups.

Also had some issues with programs loosing preference changes, and programs "not behaving properly". I know that sounds like a cop out, but things just didn't "work right" after I ran the updater through software update. Word would crash just after starting, finder preferences just hosed up. That was acutally the final straw. I couldn't access my desktop. I deleted the finder preference file and things were ok again until I logged out and back in. No ability to use my desktop. I downloaded and reran the 10.2.4 update and that did not resolve anything. The combo updater did.

PHoynak
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 18, 2003, 12:38 AM

To the person who had the finder issue. I had the same problem last week (before 10.2.4). I ran all kinds of disk utilities and nothing worked. Then I booted into OS 9 and deleted the desktop and finder pref files and everthing has been fine since. I think Safari had something to do with it, make sure you run the new version.

NeilCharter
Senior User
Feb 18, 2003, 10:44 PM

Everything is fine on my home machine, but the iMac at worked failed to restart fter installing 10.2.4.

I tried a forced reboot, booting into 9, shutdown and rebooting into X again, but I cannot get anything to work in the apple menu. Simply doesn't respond.

Anyone have any ideas?

BTW I did reinstall 10.2.4 from the standalone installer but that didn't help. I may try the combo installer instead.

Neil
If I had a signature, it would look something like this

wingdo
Senior User
Feb 18, 2003, 10:49 PM

Originally posted by NeilCharter:
Everything is fine on my home machine, but the iMac at worked failed to restart fter installing 10.2.4.

I tried a forced reboot, booting into 9, shutdown and rebooting into X again, but I cannot get anything to work in the apple menu. Simply doesn't respond.

Anyone have any ideas?

BTW I did reinstall 10.2.4 from the standalone installer but that didn't help. I may try the combo installer instead.

Neil
Try deleting your com.apple.finder.plist file in your ~/Library/Preferences folder. Then log out and back in.

rytc
Senior User
Feb 19, 2003, 06:09 AM

I keep losing my network connection after waking from sleep, I have to pull the ethernet cable out and then plug it back in fro Internet to start working again. Is a pain in the butt, had no troubles like this under 10.2.3

rytc
Senior User
Feb 19, 2003, 06:20 AM

Originally posted by kdogg73:

This isn't a BUG and is easily reproducible. Its simply a function of the way Finder windows are now displayed in OS X. You've always been able to open two windows and navigate independently to the same spot.

rytc
Senior User
Feb 19, 2003, 07:04 AM

Originally posted by ryju:
well when i first got it and restarted: it took twice the time to start up,
This is normal behavior after applying an update, it does optimisations etc at startup I believe the first restart. After that it should be normal.
Cheers Ry

sniffer
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2003, 08:53 AM

Sorry, I haven't read all posts above, but so far 10.2.4 have been very nice to me. In fact I've seen zero issues so far. 10.2.3 was another story thought. The only thing I can put my finger on so far with 10.2.4 is that the update killed my theme! It's only small fragments left of it, like the icons, minor part of the log in picture, and the start up hack (replaced the Apple logo with the theme logo) The rest is all Aqua now. I used the stand alone combo update.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2003, 08:54 AM

It's alive!!!!

(sorry off-topic, I know)

-Owl

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2003, 09:10 AM

I had issues. I installed the 10.2.4 update on my iBook 800 when it became available via Software Update. All seemed fine until I restarted my computer the following day and BOOM, flashing question mark. Zapped PRAM, restarted from Jaguar install CDs, and ran Disk Utility with no success in fixing the numerous "file allocation" errors. I restarted in FireWire Target mode, backed everything up on another machine, reinstalled 10.2.1, and updated to 10.2.4 using the combo updater. All is well and my iBook runs faster than ever.

keston
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 19, 2003, 09:12 AM

I thought it was just me/mine. Thought something was loose... its been doing that since BEFORE the update.

wingdo
Senior User
Feb 19, 2003, 12:12 PM

Originally posted by keston:
I thought it was just me/mine. Thought something was loose... its been doing that since BEFORE the update.
Same problem here.

littlegreenspud
Senior User
Feb 19, 2003, 02:42 PM

Well, here's two problems:

Every time I start-up it is 1970, and before you all say change my battery it is NOT a battery problem.

Every time I start up I have the little input menu in the menu bar which will let me choose between British and American, even though only British is selected in the preferences!

Sigh.

JB72
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2003, 05:39 PM

I couldn't access my desktop.
I had the same problem after a crash in 10.2.4. Scared the heck out of me. It seemed to go away after I did a disk permission repair.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2003, 07:39 PM

Well, since updating my Power Mac and iBook to 10.2.4, I have had a couple kernal panics on the iBook, and the same number of freezes/lockups on the Power Mac.

Wierd. The first time I have seen the new kernal panic screen with the dialogue in several languages.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 19, 2003, 09:01 PM

I installed 10.2.4 through software update today, and my system is <A OKAY>. Stable and running smoothly.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

sadie
Senior User
Feb 20, 2003, 06:27 AM

Originally posted by littlegreenspud:
Every time I start up I have the little input menu in the menu bar which will let me choose between British and American, even though only British is selected in the preferences!
That's happened on virtually every Mac i've ever owned. I think they have a hard time believing that somebody really, really doesn't want the american input. Ever.
All words are lies. Including these ones.

Ben_Isaacs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2003, 08:21 AM

I keep getting the national flag icon in the menu bar. I then turn it off. It reappears after start up. Only small, but very annoying.

rytc
Senior User
Feb 20, 2003, 03:16 PM

As people suggested I downloaded the combo and installed that and everything seems to have cleared up. Network settings are kept and Safari is back to its usual self, it went through a very flakey temperamental stage after the update, freezing and forgetting its prefs but now, well now its all hunky dory.

DrakkenKorin
Feb 20, 2003, 11:44 PM

Originally posted by littlegreenspud:
Well, here's two problems:

Every time I start-up it is 1970, and before you all say change my battery it is NOT a battery problem...
Well I thought My PMG4 was runniing like "buttah", until I went to make a couple of appointment in ical. Imagine my surprise when the date says 1 Jan 1970. And here I am without my lime green leisure suit with fur!

have considered deleting it and loading it back up again, but I'm too lazy.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2003, 12:09 AM

So I'm not having all the other odd problems you guys are, but 10.2.4 is giving me some trouble. It turned off my apache web server and I can't get it running again. I've looked at some of the other threads but none have helped. Anyone know if this 10.2.4 combo update on top of 10.2.4 will fix this issue, I sure hope so. I'm using a DP 1ghz mirror (not the newest) 768mb 80gb (where can I get another of these for a good price). thanks

Moonray
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2003, 12:15 AM

Originally posted by SSharon:
So I'm not having all the other odd problems you guys are, but 10.2.4 is giving me some trouble. It turned off my apache web server and I can't get it running again. I've looked at some of the other threads but none have helped. Anyone know if this 10.2.4 combo update on top of 10.2.4 will fix this issue, I sure hope so. I'm using a DP 1ghz mirror (not the newest) 768mb 80gb (where can I get another of these for a good price). thanks
If you edited your httpd.conf then you have to do it again since the update comes with a new one. You find your old httpd.conf backed up as httpd.conf.applesaved.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2003, 12:40 AM

So I never found those files that everyone tells me to edit, but downloading the 10.2.4 combo update fixed my problem, all I had to do was refresh the weblock pref. pane I have installed.

TheTraveller
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 21, 2003, 02:53 AM

No issues. But no x% performance increase. Seems just the same as it was before, on all 3 computers I'm running it on.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 21, 2003, 04:33 AM

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:

I've been following the Missing Sync Clie email list, and a lot of people have been having trouble with 10.2.4 and HotSync (which iSync does still use for Palm OS devices). Interestingly, some people had no trouble at all. But for the rest, trashing Palm Desktop and reinstalling it from scratch fixed it.

(In my case, 10.2.4 caused Vindigo to muck up everything. Removing Vindigo made it happy again.)

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules