Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > No Low Battery Warning

No Low Battery Warning
lextek
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2003, 11:19 PM

I used to get a warning "you are now running on reserve power". My PB 12 no long pops up with that warning. It use show up with about 13 minutes of juice left?????

Karim
Senior User
Jun 7, 2003, 02:10 AM

Go to system preferences, energy saver, what % does it say after "current battery charge is"

If it doesn't say anything, your OSX has gotten corrupted. I had a similar problem. Only thing that fixed it was a reinstall of OSX. I tried everything....

You could try to update to the latest OSX through software update if your not at the latest, that might work too.

If you show a % then it is some other problem.

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2003, 02:10 AM

My old Lombard started doing that as well. Instead of giving a low battery warning it just went kaput into sleep mode. It was very startling to my friend who bought it and was worried she broke something. I was pretty suprised as well because I figured the PB just went into Low Power mode or some such but it indeed hadn't. The Lombard has 10.2.6 running on it and I've yet to test this problem on my 12" Powerbook.

lextek  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 7, 2003, 05:40 AM

In the Energy Saver it says the battery is at 10%. Which is about right. I am using 10.2.6.

mattyd
Senior User
Jun 7, 2003, 07:48 PM

same thing is happening to me. i get the alert sound, but the little warning window doesn't show up.

i'm also down to about an hour and 15 minutes on a full charge (i used to get about three and a half hours.) i know that batteries loose their ability to hold a full charge over time, but it really sucks. i can't even think about bringing a dvd on a plane anymore.

Originally posted by lextek:
I used to get a warning "you are now running on reserve power". My PB 12 no long pops up with that warning. It use show up with about 13 minutes of juice left?????

fmalloy
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 8, 2003, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by lextek:
Another thing could be this issue in 10.2.4 where you lose battery life - mine shuts down when it hits the 50% point without notice. Sometimes, it will go to zero, but the actual running time is half of what it was before the update. Again, no warning.

I posted a separate thread on this, but noone sent a single reply.

I can't believe nobody is running into this.

CyberPet
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 9, 2003, 02:41 AM

I think I lost the warning (about 10 min before the "book" goes to sleep) was lost after the update to 10.2.5... or was it the 10.2.6 update? Oh well, it's a known problem with one of those updates. Hopefully Apple will fix it soon.
/Petra

Forum Links
Forum Rules