Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Mac Wolfenstein MP Test (link inside)

Mac Wolfenstein MP Test (link inside)
kupan787
Senior User
Sep 18, 2001, 06:24 PM

I have set up a temporary server to download a macintosh .sit file of the full PC install which is required for the mac version of MacWolfenstein MP Test. All you need to do is grab the latest copy of the Mac files, and throw them in this folder, and play!

The link is: http://www.macadvocacy.com/wolf.sit

The file is 63.3 MBs

Note that this .sit does not contain the Mac application. You can obtain the b3 mac application from http://www.macadvocacy.com/wolfmac.sit

Ben Mackin

[ 09-19-2001: Message edited by: kupan787 ]

lookmark
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2001, 08:38 PM

Thanks!

I'm getting an error ("VM_Create_on_UI failed") when I try it, though. Won't run.

Is this a build for 10.1, or somethin'...? Still running old 10.0.4 here.

look!mark

dfbennett
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 18, 2001, 08:58 PM

Works for me. Seems like a cool game but it runs a bit choppy on my Sawtooth G4 350 with 512mb of RAM and an ATI Rage 128 Pro AGP. Hopefully performance will be increased once 10.1 is released. Other than that it seems like a cool game.
Regards,
Dave

dogzilla
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2001, 09:48 PM

Originally posted by dfbennett:
<STRONG>Works for me. Seems like a cool game but it runs a bit choppy on my Sawtooth G4 350 with 512mb of RAM and an ATI Rage 128 Pro AGP. Hopefully performance will be increased once 10.1 is released. Other than that it seems like a cool game.</STRONG>
I'm also on 10.4. It keeps asking me for the PC installation location when I run the app. Some special trick to this?

Hornet
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 18, 2001, 09:59 PM

Note - since initial posting of Wolf OSX, there has been an update. B3 its called, grab it from ftp.idsoftware.com. Maybe that'll fixxor it

lookmark
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2001, 10:40 PM

Originally posted by dogzilla:
<STRONG>

I'm also on 10.4. It keeps asking me for the PC installation location when I run the app. Some special trick to this?</STRONG>
Ah, you need to download the game (officially for the PC) as well -- take a look at his site, macadvocacy.com. It's a 63MB file. Two downloads total -- game and OS X app.

Still doesn't work for me, though, on this icebook.

Ah, well...

look!mark

<How to set this up>
Sep 18, 2001, 10:42 PM

Okay i have the two files downloaded and have two folders - i click on the Mac OSX app and then locate the PC bits and the screen shows Wolfenstein drawing, then changes resolution then changes back and nothing else!

Whats the secret

lookmark
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2001, 10:51 PM

Originally posted by &lt;How to set this up&gt;:
<STRONG>Okay i have the two files downloaded and have two folders - i click on the Mac OSX app and then locate the PC bits and the screen shows Wolfenstein drawing, then changes resolution then changes back and nothing else!

Whats the secret </STRONG>

Same here. With the "create UI" error message to boot.

Any advice from those who've got it running?

<How to set this up>
Sep 18, 2001, 11:02 PM

Okay i have the two files downloaded and have two folders - i click on the Mac OSX app and then locate the PC bits and the screen shows Wolfenstein drawing, then changes resolution then changes back and nothing else!

Whats the secret

dfbennett
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 18, 2001, 11:23 PM

Unstuff the PC file (the 63mb one). Then unstuff the 2mb Mac program. Put the Mac program into the folder where the PC stuff resides. Double click and Viola!. You screen may turn white, you might need to press escape or wait but it will work.
Regards,
Dave

<laxthxdude>
Sep 18, 2001, 11:56 PM

Runs great on my DP/500 with 1GB and a ATI Radeon. Very smooth at 1024x768 - much smoother than my P3/933 with a GeForce 2 at the same resolution. I am using 10.0.4 currently (and Mail, OmniWeb, Internet Explorer, Fire, AOL IM, iTunes & Quicken 2002 were all running in the back ground at the same time. iTunes never skipped a beat....). Bring on 10.1.

Hornet
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 19, 2001, 01:03 AM

Oddness. It all goes fine except a black screen. The gam is running (can hear menu sounds)

wtf
tfw
fwt
?

You NEED to put all the bundles in the PC folder, and ur mac app where ever. Otherwise u get a UI error, simple. But i get the black screen error with this...

Possible a bad config. Custom height and width was set 5o 1600x1200. My 14" monitor cant do that (17" broke yesterday ) Fresh config doesnt help...

[ 09-19-2001: Message edited by: Hornet ]

lookmark
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2001, 01:08 AM

I got it working.

Make sure you have the latest version (beta-3) and (this was messing me up) that all the files are in the same directory.

look!mark

The_Equivocator
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 19, 2001, 01:53 AM

Thank you for mirroring those files!

Crunch Something

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2001, 02:47 AM

beautiful... Runs great on my DP 450. Just got one quick round of look in. It would appear that our firewall is blocking me from seeing any servers in the outside world Then it crashed
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2001, 03:37 AM

Anyone care to post (a link to) a screenshot ??

richardb
Sep 19, 2001, 04:11 AM

http://www.activision.com/games/wolf...reenshots.html

Some awesome stuff!. Gotta be a GeForce 3 though...
Powerbook G4 1.2 Ghz, 1 Gb.

MajorMatt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2001, 09:27 AM

I get the same "VM_CREATE on UI Failed" error. I put the mac folder in the pc folder and nothing. All it does it give me an opening screen, go to black and back to the finder

GnOm
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 19, 2001, 09:39 AM

Originally posted by MajorMatt:
<STRONG>I put the mac folder in the pc folder and nothing. </STRONG>

the directory structure should look like this:

cu.

P.S.: not all the files are initially there but generated by the app when it runs for the first time.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2001, 09:46 AM

Originally posted by MajorMatt:
<STRONG>I get the same "VM_CREATE on UI Failed" error. I put the mac folder in the pc folder and nothing. All it does it give me an opening screen, go to black and back to the finder </STRONG>
You need to remove all the contents of the mac folder -- those three bundles -- and place them inside the pc folder. All the game files in the same folder, on the same level. Apparently the little OS X app can be wherever.

Hope this helps...

Neo.cmg
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 19, 2001, 10:59 AM

Well, I idownloaded the b3 and the 63MB PC components and everything worked great. It looks like a cool game, but I wasn't able to locate any servers to play I guess I'll have to check back later.

Neo.cmg

bluedog
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2001, 11:12 AM

Seems like a real rendition of a period. The mapping of textures and models are very realistic. I just wish there were other people to play against. It seems like the playing field is empty without people joining a running server.

This looks like a great network game. In light of the recent news events and its gruesome reality though, this game leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I really never considered a connection between games and reality, but as we make these games more 'reality-based' then it gets to a point when you wonder, why?

I'd love to have the technological 'wow' factor from a game like this put into new genre's. I love how the Myst series just took off and blew a hole in the previous offerings for puzzle type games. Hey developers! Think about the possibilities if you were to come up with the next genre in computer entertainment.

Oh, and the beta crashed fairly frequently in the interface portion of the game. The gameplay portion seemed to work really well. I'd like to try this on a network with several friends. Looks like there should be more than just 'slash and bang' and some stealth and plotting involved.

[ 09-19-2001: Message edited by: bluedog ]

pmoc
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2001, 11:50 AM

It works very well for me I just copied the mac files into the PC folder. But it's soooo slooow on my Titanium: it's just not playable. I'm a bit disappointed, the game was supposed to be fast... on DP probably.
The screens look nice though.

Cheers. Philippe.
Philippe

Robo-X
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2001, 11:52 AM

Works fine for me except the game crashing every few minutes that is. For those who have played Quake 3 should know that you have to place the mac application inside the Wolfenstein MP Test folder. The latest b3 version comes with program that you can run a dedicated server on OS X, it is a terminal program so you have to start it in the terminal.

The client is not that stable. I have noticed that the game crashes every few minutes. Maybe because id have only tested on the 10.1 version of OS X but most ppl are still using 10.0.4. Maybe next week OS X 10.1 is released and this problem is solved.

//Rob

<number nine>
Sep 19, 2001, 12:42 PM

It works very well for me I just copied the mac files into the PC folder. But it's soooo slooow on my Titanium: it's just not playable. I'm a bit disappointed, the game was supposed to be fast... on DP probably.
A dual processor isn't going to help you if your video card isn't any good. 3D games rely a lot on the capabilties of the viedeo card, and laptops usually have scaled down video cards to reduce power consumption (laptops aren't gaming machines). It should be quite playable on a desktop G4-500 with a decent video card.

If it helps, the test is completely unplayable on my laptop at work too--an IBM ThinkPad mPIII-800--so it isn't a Mac problem, it's laptop problem .

- j

MajorMatt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2001, 12:45 PM

Thanks so much, guys. I got this cool game working, its a little shaky at first and at times which I suspect the network to be the culprit.

bluedog
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2001, 12:57 PM

Nope, the stability seems to be an issue. Although its working, I'm using the same development version of 10.1 as Graeme used in testing this beta. Dunno if its a video card issue or other.

I have an OEM Radeon in a DP533 with 1GB RAM.

Dr Evil
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2001, 05:20 PM

I don't know if anyone noticed, but b4 is on Graeme Devine's public iDisk folder. Go to the iTools website, login, and type: graemedevine into the share public folder section. I just ran it on my Blue G3 and it was smooth and didnt crash. Well, in like 3 minutes. =) I can't tell differences over b3 cause b4 is the first version I've tried. Happy downloading.

Dr Evil
Quicksilver G4 867mhz 384mb/60gig
iBook 300 320mb/20gig
Athlon Xp 1700+(1.47GHz) 512mb ddr/26gig, GeForce 4 TI 4200/128mb
http://mayodreams.dyndns.org

dogzilla
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2001, 08:03 PM

Well, I got it working - I had to restart to get it to find the PC files. even though they were in the same folder, it still asks me to find them every time I start.

Once it finishes loading, I can't seem to join a server. Actually, it can't find any servers at all - it says it's looking for "-1 servers" or something like that. Messing with all options didn't do anything.

Screenshots look nice, but I think I'll wait a while. Don't have time to futz with this anymore.

<old_timer>
Sep 19, 2001, 09:50 PM

This is probably a stupid question, but is this ONLY a multi-player test?

In other words, if you're behind a FireWall and can't get to a server, there's no way you can see this game in action?

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2001, 10:27 PM

Originally posted by &lt;old_timer&gt;:
<STRONG>This is probably a stupid question, but is this ONLY a multi-player test?

In other words, if you're behind a FireWall and can't get to a server, there's no way you can see this game in action?</STRONG>
yup, thats my problem too... Well, until I can convince some people to let me load it up on their comps...too bad Cheerios comp is a POS which can't play it..
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

kupan787  (op)
Senior User
Sep 19, 2001, 10:36 PM

I just uploaded the b4 mac os x files to my server. Come and grab them while they are fresh:

You can obtain the b4 mac application from http://www.macadvocacy.com/wolfmac.sit

Read first post to find where to get an installed copy of the PC files.

Ben

PMG4DP
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2001, 10:39 PM

Well you guys are lucky to play it. I can't even get it to play at all. When i select my server(any server) it loads, and as soon as the level appears on my screen, it unexpectedly quits! the newest beta is out, and supposdly fixed this problem. But, it hasn't.
I'm running on a 450mhz DP g4 with 768megs of ram, 10.0.4
"When I take action, I'm not going to fire a $2 million missile at a $10 empty tent and hit a camel in the butt." --GWB

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2001, 11:07 AM

I get an OpenGL error when i try to start the game...any ideas?
Thanks

normyzo
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 20, 2001, 05:38 PM

Same thing for me as PMG4DP, I've got a 450DP with 576MB and test MP b4. The test quits unexpectedly right after the load sequence where the two guys are standing in front of the bunker (one guy has the rocket launcher). I don't even get to the weapon select screen. In B3 it quit when I hit accept on the weapon select screen.

btober
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2001, 08:32 PM

I've got it working great on my 533/1.5GB RAM. Now if only I could find a server to play on...
«l'innovation, c'est une situation qu'on choisit parce qu'on a une passion brûlante pour quelque chose.» - steve jobs

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2001, 01:08 AM

Originally posted by PMG4DP:
<STRONG>Well you guys are lucky to play it. I can't even get it to play at all. When i select my server(any server) it loads, and as soon as the level appears on my screen, it unexpectedly quits! the newest beta is out, and supposdly fixed this problem. But, it hasn't.
I'm running on a 450mhz DP g4 with 768megs of ram, 10.0.4</STRONG>
It's gotta be 10.1, I assume that everyone who can't get to the game screen at running 10.04? And those who have a working version are running some form of 10.1?
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

MajorMatt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2001, 09:56 PM

I got it working on 10.0.4 fine. B3-B5 was very buggy for me, crashed everytime a new game was about to start. However, I just got B7 from ftp.idsoftware.com and it hasnt crashed once. The only quirks is that the game is stuttery for the first 30 seconds in the game, probaly still loading some elements.

-Matt

<treybomb>
Sep 22, 2001, 11:06 PM

B7 keeps crahing on me too. DP G4 500, AGP Rage 128 Pro, PCI Radeon 32 (main monitor), 1GB RAM, 10.1 5G64. The main menu loads fine (on the radeon monitor) but whenever I join a server it crashes just as it finishes loading and the "Axis/Allies" team-select screen appears. Other times it allows me to play for 10 seconds or so and then I get an error saying that it "has unexpectedly quit." Any ideas?

sniffer
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2001, 05:50 PM

Any one tried it on lower specs with newer X.1 builts? If so.. how does it performs??

It worked on my 450 mhz/192 mb ram iMac DV+ 10.0.4, but I wouldn't say that I got impressive frame rate.. It was sluggish. :o

Sniffer gone old-school sig

Brazuca
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2001, 07:49 PM

I d/led the PC files on the link at the top of the page, and the b7 from the XLR8yourmac.com website link. I placed the contents of the mac d/l (about 3MB into the PC folder). When I try to start the game it tells me that it "couldn't load default.cfg" and quits. How do I solve this? I'm running 10.0.4
"It's about time trees did something good insted of just standing there LIKE JERKS!" :)

Forum Links
Forum Rules