Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Last Temptation of Christ

The Last Temptation of Christ
ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2004, 09:13 PM

During my thread on "The Passion of The Christ" I was told to rent the Last Temptation...
Well:

I just saw this idiotic movie, and from the beginning where Judas is yelling at Jesus for "Making crosses" for the Romans was incredibly stupid and the dialogue was silly.

What a turd of a movie.
It cost 7,000,000 to make, and it only earned 8,300,000 total.

It sucked.

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 22, 2004, 09:19 PM

Indeed it did suck.

paully dub
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2004, 09:30 PM

Firstly, you should read the novel by Nikos Kazantzakis, though it is by no means meant to replace the gospel. Just one man's take one what Christ may have actually been going through.

I thought it was an excellent film, and that Willem Dafoe really captured the tormented character that I always pictured Christ to be (as opposed to the glassy eyed mystic hippy that I was brought up upon). But hey, it's just me and my own point of view. I did think the church's protests were a bit ridiculous. It's a movie based on a novel, not a reinterpretation of the frigging new testament for crying out loud.

Also I would strongly reccomend Kazantzakis' Saint Francis as well. Good reads, regarldless of whether you're devout christians or not (I'm not).

And since when does a movie have to make money to be good?

Adopt-A-Yankee

ghost_flash  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2004, 09:36 PM

Originally posted by paully dub:
Firstly, you should read the novel by Nikos Kazantzakis, though it is by no means meant to replace the gospel. Just one man's take one what Christ may have actually been going through.

I thought it was an excellent film, and that Willem Dafoe really captured the tormented character that I always pictured Christ to be (as opposed to the glassy eyed mystic hippy that I was brought up upon). But hey, it's just me and my own point of view. I did think the church's protests were a bit ridiculous. It's a movie based on a novel, not a reinterpretation of the frigging new testament for crying out loud.

Also I would strongly reccomend Kazantzakis' Saint Francis as well. Good reads, regarldless of whether you're devout christians or not (I'm not).

And since when does a movie have to make money to be good?
Uhm. The proceeds often tell a tale on how good a movie was. A good judging factor, especially in this case. Like a best selling book, but better. You only need to sell 15,000 books to have a best seller. Do you know of any BAD movies made that have made record returns?

You seem pretty intelligent, didn't you know that?

It was a joke of a movie. Not even interesting in the least. If it represents the book at all, then the book is not on my list of reads.

It was a pathetic attempt on MS's part, and it was a waste of a good 7,000,000.

paully dub
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2004, 09:51 PM

Originally posted by ghost_flash:
Uhm. The proceeds often tell a tale on how good a movie was. A good judging factor, especially in this case. Like a best selling book, but better. You only need to sell 15,000 books to have a best seller. Do you know of any BAD movies made that have made record returns?

You seem pretty intelligent, didn't you know that?

It was a joke of a movie. Not even interesting in the least. If it represents the book at all, then the book is not on my list of reads.

It was a pathetic attempt on MS's part, and it was a waste of a good 7,000,000.
All I know is, I judge for myself whether or not I like a film, I don't let others with their ticket sales do it for me. And so if fewer people went to see the film, fewer people were able to judge for themselves whether they liked it or not. You didn't like it, doesn't bother me one bit.

Oh and Kazantzakis also wrote Zorba the Greek, which was made into a film.

Adopt-A-Yankee

ghost_flash  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2004, 09:58 PM

All I know is, I judge for myself whether or not I like a film, I don't let others with their ticket sales do it for me. And so if fewer people went to see the film, fewer people were able to judge for themselves whether they liked it or not. You didn't like it, doesn't bother me one bit.

Oh and Kazantzakis also wrote Zorba the Greek, which was made into a film.
Like I do?
I didn't look at the Box Office to determine whether I should see the film. It was recommended to me by someone with bad taste. I also enjoy many films that don't make any money at all. I'm a big Kevin Smith fan, and of short films by unknown directors. Someone like MS comes out with this crap LTOT, and I can't see how anyone liked it.

Now, Zorba the Greek was a good film.
Did it make any money?

paully dub
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2004, 10:12 PM

Like I do?
I didn't look at the Box Office to determine whether I should see the film. It was recommended to me by someone with bad taste. I also enjoy many films that don't make any money at all. I'm a big Kevin Smith fan, and of short films by unknown directors. Someone like MS comes out with this crap LTOT, and I can't see how anyone liked it.

Now, Zorba the Greek was a good film.
Did it make any money?

You brought up the box office, not me. And so you didn't like it. Fine, but other than comments about Keitel's character during the beginning and a vague dismissal of the Romans ( Pontius Pilote played by David Bowie by the way) you didn't really have much to say.

Judas being portrayed in a different light is part of what really pissed people off, but it's part of what I liked most: Judas has always been so one sidedly bad and it seemed plausible that if he spent so much time with Jesus, knowing him longer than most, he'd have had some sort of conflict in betraying him.

In MY opinion:

Peter Gabriel's soundtrack was quite good, Barbara Hershey as Mary Magdalene was excellent and of course Willem Dafoe for me will always remembered as Jesus in that movie. I loved his performance. Yeah Keitel wasn't the greatest and the ending was somewhat different than the book, but all in all I fealt it did a good job of capturing the feel of the book. No one says you have to like the book either, by the way.

I didn't see Zorba, but I did read the book, which I'd recommend...

Adopt-A-Yankee

forkies
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2004, 10:24 PM

Uhm. The proceeds often tell a tale on how good a movie was. A good judging factor, especially in this case.
pfft, "amount of profit = how good a movie is," right...

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2004, 10:34 PM

it was ok...not great not bad...i didn't get upset at the violence, understand the jew's protest but i think it's way overblown...it's the temple leaders that were corupt...nevermind

i put this on the matrix reloaded level...too much hype about nothing

James Christ
Banned
Mar 22, 2004, 11:13 PM

During my thread on "The Passion of The Christ" I was told to rent the Last Temptation...
Well:

I just saw this idiotic movie, and from the beginning where Judas is yelling at Jesus for "Making crosses" for the Romans was incredibly stupid and the dialogue was silly.

What a turd of a movie.
It cost 7,000,000 to make, and it only earned 8,300,000 total.

It sucked.
It only proves your fanatical GOP rightwing !d!0t with a craving for blood of Christ.

The Last Temptation is a truly righteous Jesus movie made by someone who doesn't deny the Holocaust and it reaches out to people of all cultures because it's about struggling with the divine within our physical selves.

The Passion was a gory guilt fest that counts Yasser Arafat as a fan

James Christ
Banned
Mar 22, 2004, 11:16 PM

You don't have the IQ to get past the first page. It's too dense, too rich, and more historically accurate than the Gospels.

ghost_flash  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2004, 11:21 PM

Originally posted by James Christ:
It only proves your fanatical GOP rightwing !d!0t with a craving for blood of Christ.

The Last Temptation is a truly righteous Jesus movie made by someone who doesn't deny the Holocaust and it reaches out to people of all cultures because it's about struggling with the divine within our physical selves.

The Passion was a gory guilt fest that counts Yasser Arafat as a fan
You really seem to care.
About what? I have no idea.

ghost_flash  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2004, 11:23 PM

You don't have the IQ to get past the first page. It's too dense, too rich, and more historically accurate than the Gospels.
Well James:

I guess you have proven me to be incorrect.

You are right.
I am wrong.
I've heard you roar.

Thanks for your insightful and fact-filled post to thwart my movie review.

James Christ
Banned
Mar 22, 2004, 11:47 PM

Well James:

I guess you have proven me to be incorrect.

You are right.
I am wrong.
I've heard you roar.

Thanks for your insightful and fact-filled post to thwart my movie review.
If you're going to post a shallow, undetailed expert opinion you'll get several back. Movie review? Where?

ghost_flash  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2004, 12:23 AM

If you're going to post a shallow, undetailed expert opinion you'll get several back. Movie review? Where?
I said it sucked. < Movie review.

I'll expand on that statement for your edification.

James Christ
Banned
Mar 23, 2004, 01:29 AM

Go ahead. Please expand in detail what makes it 'suck'.

ghost_flash  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2004, 02:14 AM

Go ahead. Please expand in detail what makes it 'suck'.
You a little slow?

< That was me expanding on my review.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2004, 02:29 AM

Well, I've never seen nor care about this movie, but I just have to respond to this:

Well, Armageddon grossed over 200 million. It was a fairly sucktacular movie.

Popularity == quality... right.

edit: here's another link for you - the 100 highest-grossing movies of all time.

http://movies.go.com/boxoffice/Alltime.html

Check out some of the gems on there - No. 1 is Titanic! Wow, what a great movie. And No. 4 is Star Wars Episode I. Wow, that one was sure a masterpiece! Move over, Citizen Kane. No. 30 is Bruce Almighty - well, that was sure a beaut. Gone with the Wind is only No. 54. Many other movies considered to be the greatest aren't even on the list.
( Last edited by CharlesS; Mar 23, 2004 at 02:37 AM. )

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 23, 2004, 02:32 AM

This thread got boring fast.

ghost_flash  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2004, 09:25 AM

Originally posted by Xeo:
This thread got boring fast.
Yes, it did. I don't forsee it having the longevity of my "Passion" thread.

At least that is my hope.

dav
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2004, 09:59 AM

that's not a movie review.

rotten tomatoes:
last temptation: 78% (fresh)
the passion: 51% (rotten)
one post closer to five stars

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 23, 2004, 10:23 AM

What the.. ?
Someone didn't take his pills this morning

The Last Temptation is a truly righteous Jesus movie
No. Not even close. It's was a Hollywoodized bastardization.

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 23, 2004, 10:24 AM

Again no. Not even close. Funny how people will grasp onto a Hollywoodized craptastic movie as the truth.

At least Gibson made an attempt to not distort it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2004, 10:34 AM

Will the conservative faction please just ignore this James Christ character?

I mean, Jeez, wasn't it fairly obvious from the abuse in his first two posts in this thread that he's a troll?

Sheesh.

-s*

paully dub
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2004, 10:42 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Speechless...

And by the way I think someone needs to paste together a screenplay out of your posts, I honestly think we might have something there....

Adopt-A-Yankee

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 23, 2004, 10:44 AM

Speechless...
Just why are you speechless? The attempt was made. While it wasn't word for word, it was TONS closer to the truth than The Last Temptation ever was, or will be.

dav
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2004, 10:45 AM

No. Not even close. It's was a Hollywoodized bastardization.
now you're being silly.

paully dub
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2004, 10:46 AM

Just why are you speechless? The attempt was made. While it wasn't word for word, it was TONS closer to the truth than The Last Temptation ever was, or will be.
What are you comparing the Last Temptation of Christ to - the novel of the same name or the New Testament?

Just curious...

Adopt-A-Yankee

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 23, 2004, 10:49 AM

What are you comparing the Last Temptation of Christ to - the novel of the same name or the New Testament?

Just curious...
I am comparing it to the truth.

The Flintstones re-run I just watched was closer to the story of Jesus's life than The Last Temptation was.

TLT was pure garbage. It sucked.

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2004, 10:53 AM

dav
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2004, 10:54 AM

priceless

paully dub
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2004, 10:55 AM

The Flintstones re-run I just watched was closer to the story of Jesus's life than The Last Temptation was.

TLT was pure garbage. It sucked.
I take it you didn't like Jesus Christ Superstar either - no way they were singing in English back then.

<sings>Jesus Christ - Superstar - Who in the hell do you think you are?</sings>

Adopt-A-Yankee

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 23, 2004, 10:56 AM

Originally posted by dav:
priceless
Please instead of giving these silly responses, prove me wrong. Give us some content.

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 23, 2004, 10:56 AM

I take it you didn't like Jesus Christ Superstar either
Yeah it sucked too.

dav
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2004, 10:59 AM

Please instead of giving these silly responses, prove me wrong. Give us some content.
hey, wait, that was my point

James Christ
Banned
Mar 23, 2004, 11:00 AM

You obviously didn't read the opening text. Just another blind person following the blind.

but Gibson's version owes less to history and more to middle ages Catholic propaganda.

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 23, 2004, 11:02 AM

hey, wait, that was my point
In other words, you had no point.

If you can please show me were I was wrong, or how it was "priceless" It would be nice.

Otherwise...

James Christ
Banned
Mar 23, 2004, 11:04 AM

Pontius Pilate (Mel Gibson makes him a nice white guy ruling over hooked nose brownies and handsome Christians) asks 'What is the truth?'

Jesus replied 'I'm commiting suicide for the sins of future Christians who will spread fear, guilt and ignorance. I have foreseen it.'

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 23, 2004, 11:04 AM

You obviously didn't read the opening text.

Sure I did.
Just another blind person following the blind.

Silly.

but Gibson's version owes less to history and more to middle ages Catholic propaganda.
Heh, I said he made an attempt. The main message was still there.

In other words, It was a lot closer to the truth that The Last Temptation.

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 23, 2004, 11:06 AM

Pontius Pilate (Mel Gibson makes him a nice white guy ruling over hooked nose brownies and handsome Christians) asks 'What is the truth?'
Jesus replied 'I'm commiting suicide for the sins of future Christians who will spread fear, guilt and ignorance. I have foreseen it.'
You are being crude and dishonest.
Shame on you.

Do you expect people to believe you when you post such tripe?

I sure hope not.

ghost_flash  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2004, 11:10 AM

You are being crude and dishonest.
Shame on you.

Do you expect people to believe you when you post such tripe?

I sure hope not.
Zim: You are correct. Everyone here is correct also when they state: IGNORE THIS CRETON.

I just posted my feelings about the movie after having seen it. I promised to do this when I had my "Passion" thread. I certainly did not expect such hateful people to come to this thread and post such things. I should have known bettter for sure, but then again, why should that stop anyone from posting? Aren't these characters acting like internet terrorists? I won't give in to their stupid rhetoric.

Thanks.
-GF

dav
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2004, 11:11 AM

In other words, you had no point.

um, so that would mean you had no point

If you can please show me were I was wrong, or how it was "priceless" It would be nice.

Otherwise...
we both know it is impossible for me to show you where you were wrong, you know the truth.
that's priceless.

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 23, 2004, 11:12 AM

um, so that would mean you had no point

I indeed did. If you'd like me to hold your hand and explain it to you I can.

we both know it is impossible for me to show you where you were wrong

I guess there will be no need to then.

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 23, 2004, 11:15 AM

I certainly did not expect such hateful people to come to this thread and post such things.
Anytime you say something GOOD about Jesus, the hate enrages.

People don't like being reminded they aren't that great.

paully dub
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2004, 11:15 AM

Looks like I'm the only one to have actually discussed the the film in question in depth.

What an idiot I am for wasting my time.

Adopt-A-Yankee

ghost_flash  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2004, 11:18 AM

Looks like I'm the only one to have actually discussed the the film in question in depth.

You and me both. You for reviewing that trash in depth, and me wasting my time by watching it.

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 23, 2004, 11:18 AM

It's not WORTH your time discussing such a craptastic film.

dav
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2004, 11:19 AM

I indeed did. If you'd like me to hold your hand and explain it to you I can.
[/B]
now you're being dishonest.

James Christ
Banned
Mar 23, 2004, 11:20 AM

Zim: You are correct. Everyone here is correct also when they state: IGNORE THIS CRETON.
]
I am not from Crete.

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 23, 2004, 11:20 AM

now you're being dishonest.

Please point to where I was being dishonest, and show how I was being dishonest.

Forum Links
Forum Rules